• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

audio quality of SOUTH OF THE BORDER?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon53

I've seen several comments on another website about the disappointing audio quality of Shout Factory's SOUTH OF THE BORDER. I'm thinking of buying the cd and would like additional comments---is the audio quality that bad?

What other website? It'd be nice to know what "accusations" we're replying to.

Personally I think it sounds OK for a 1963 recording.

IMHO, it sounds better than "Whipped Cream" since it has fewer overdubs. Back in those days, they had to do a lot of track bouncing to record more tracks. SOTB is one of the better sounding recordings in the TJB catalog, and it's the first where engineer Larry Levine started working on their albums.

The new Shout Factory! mastering by Ted Jensen sounds OK to me. In fact, it's closer to the original LP mix than the old A&M CD was.

Harry

It seems like the bass EQ has been boosted up higher on this re-issue. It's not much fun to listen to under my headphones, but works well enough thru the speakers.

SOUTH OF THE BORDER always had a predominant bass line to it. It must have been Larry Levine's influence, given his "wall-of-sound" background.

Harry

I think it sounds fine. Nobody touched the master recording tapes in over 20 years, so the sound would be a little off.

It sounds fine to me, too. As far as I am concerned it is one of the best sounding TJB albums of those produced during the early 60's.

Guys:
Thanks for the replies. I saw the negative comments about the audio quality of SOTB on Amazon.com's SOTB customer reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom