Barbra Joan Streisand!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbara Joan Streisand, produced by Richard Perry (like its Predecessor, Stoney End) has its moments... Great musicians, though I don't think Mike Deasy's guitar work on John Lennon's remake of "Mother" and Carol King's cover of "You've Got A Friend" was very audible...

Questionable recording credits on where "I Mean To Shine" (Steely Dan demo) was done (L.A.? New York?)

Just thoughts on a still-good album, I found a Cheap, Still-Sealed copy of, that I'm enjoying now...!

Dave

KentTeffeteller said:
Hi,

I have one of these first run 45's of TWWW. It was cut at Radio Recorders Annex! They used Scullys for 45 cutting with that spacing.
Hmmm . . . I do know that Radio Recorders Annex later became Annex Studios. So I guess Annex Studios it was. Many thanks!

I only own 2 recordings of Barbra. The soundtrack of The Way We Were on CD and the soundtrack of Yentl on LP.

When I saw the movie Yentl, I was very moved by the lyrics and her interpretation of the songs used in the movie. My favorite is "Where is it written?" I could play that over and over, not sure why, I just really like the song from begining to end.

Other than that, I'm not really a collector. I do want to buy Yentl when it is released on DVD.

I can now verify that it was indeed Annex Studios (as it was known from the early 1960's to the mid-1980's when the Record Plant moved in) which cut the initial run of lacquers for "The Way We Were" (the single). The other day, I won on eBay, and received in the mail just a few days ago, another LP cut at the same studio, which, though the mastering credits weren't mentioned on the back cover, I knew about because about a year or so ago, another seller on eBay had for auction reference acetates cut by Annex (with Annex Studios labels) of that album in question. As it is unrelated to Ms. Streisand I am keeping the identity of this LP quiet. But I now have my answer for sure. And Annex had a different but still distinctive set of spacings on their Scullys for LP cutting, as well. I should also note that Ranwood was another label they cut lacquers for, as well as doing much of the mastering on 1972-issued United Artists "Silver Spotlight Series" 45's.

But I still prefer Babs' 45 vocal take of "The Way We Were" o'er the one on LP KC 32801. (And yes, the mono/stereo promo had the exact same vocal take on both sides, so I can hear both without cringing or doing a double take.)

My favorite Streisand story involves how crazy she would drive world class musicians working for her.

The late great session man and Toto drummer Jeff Porcaro told this story about the "last" time he had worked for her:

"We were on what felt like the MILLIONTH take of a song we nailed about an hour and a half earlier when she burst out with "The groove, the groove I just don't hear it! Maybe the drummer needs to take a different approach!" I knodded respectively, and after more needless takes-she went off again. "The groove is just not there-I don't feel it." This time I spoke up "Miss Streisand-I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner...but I just got these incredible new drumsticks that produce a tonal quality I think you are looking for. They are made of a wood only found in a certain part of Africa and are the best I've ever played. Do you want me to go get them?" She replied "Absolutely!" At which point I burst out of the studio, and quickly got in my car. The traffic was light as I sped my way to the beach, where there was a wonderful groove that afternoon!" :laugh: Priceless story.

After Toto IV I bet he never had to tunnel out on 'Babs again! :laugh:

Andy Williams' Solitaire album was almost a "third album" done with Producer, Richard Perry... Perry gathered ALL This MATERIAL, got ALL These MUSICIANS, went to ALL These STUDIOS... --And Barbra didn't wanna do the album... She kept showing up late to the sessions and luckily Andy Williams happened to step in, having heard what was going on and agreed to do the album after a bit of "tweaking things up"...

Dave

Babs sure wouldn't of pulled--or couldn't afford to pull--her $#%*! if she were doing STRAIGHT WORK...!!! :rolleyes:

Bullish '84 said:
After Toto IV I bet he never had to tunnel out on 'Babs again! :laugh:

At that point, he didn't need to worry anyway. He was already an "A-list" session player. He absolutely wasn't desperate.

Ed

Jeff's A-List of Recording Sessions came rather quickly and as far as established notoriety, he was even along the lines of Hal Blaine... And until his untimely death in 1992, he almost achieved the vast amount of credits number-wise...

In fact, practically the very FIRST album Jeff Porcaro played on was none-other than an A&M album, JACK DAUGHERTY AND THE CLASS OF NINETEEN-HUNDRED-AND-SEVENTY-ONE...

Dave

Porcaro was a giant in the studio, but the first time I ever heard him was on a live "Sonny & Cher" Double LP from '72 or '73. "Live at The Sahara Volume II"(MCA Records) The rhythm section is basically Toto! Sonny introduces them as his regular touring band. David Paich, Keyboards is introduced as their musical director/arranger, Jeff Porcaro on Drums, David Hungate on Bass. I have forgotten whether Steve Lukather is mentioned or not. Porcaro has a wonderful solo on "Bang, Bang(My Baby Shot Me Down)." The production and sound is excellent, all the hits and Vegas schtick are there, but it's a lot of fun. Recommended and not just as a time capsule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom