• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Barry Manilow/Rod Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodjeans

Since Barry Manilow and Rod Stewart are topping the charts with remakes, is there a chance that Richard would arrange a compilation of their remakes? I know that for most of us, it would not mean new material, but it may be a good chart action gimmick. Just an idea after having read the sales slump messages. I also think that the aforementioned artists are enjoying decent sales because that generation of buyers are a bit older and do not download as much. Just an insight on my part that may be wrong.

I'm not so sure that their success is as attributable to remakes, as it is to the choice of good songs - those which have really become timeless. As an example, yesterday I caught a bit of Pal Joey (theatrical release in 1957) on Turner Classic Movies. I recently was looking at the soundtrack CD and learned that My Funny Valentine and Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered were from it. The former has become a jazz standard, recorded by Herb Alpert, Chris Botti and numerous others over the years; and the latter recently recorded by Rod Stewart.

Another factor, I believe, is due to their stature as artists, those with real talent and who have paid their dues. Some of today's artists aren't even close to being in the same league. The c-RAP masquerading as music is an abomination! Which goes back to my earlier assertion that a good melody and lyric has made the chosen tunes successful releases again.

Actually, it was a decade ago that Richard DID compile and release not one but TWO compilations called INTERPRETATIONS, songs composed by others that were recorded by Carpenters. It's sort of the opposite of CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER, which was all songs composed by Richard himself.

Harry

I think the main reason these newer "cover" albums are so popular is promotion. For instance, Barry Manilow sold 47,000 copies of his new "hits of the 60's" collection in one hour on QVC. This week, he's on every show from the View to the Cobert report hyping this CD.

These are familiar artists, doing familiar songs. They let the "non-record buying audience" know about the new CD's.

Unless Richard wants to promote and tour, there is really no need for another collection. I'm afraid his lack of being out in the public will doom any future release. Richard seems happy at home and not interested in keeping the Carpenters name out there. Let's see what happens if the Christmas CD ever sees the light of day.

They let the "non-record buying audience" know about the new CD's.
Right. Older people will still buy CDs if only they know they're available.

I think Herb Alpert's re-issues would have sold much better if they'd been promoted properly.

The people with the money to buy CDs (people in their 40s – 50s), are familiar with buying CDs instead of downloading tunes, they’re familiar with the songs, and, they’re familiar with the people singing them; this is a win/win situation all the way around.

Mike

I think, it would be a great idea for Richard to arrange some cover versions like Barry did with his last two albums. He surely would come up with wonderful arrangements.

The difference between Barry Manilow and Richard Carpenter is, that Barry is a fine singer and a superb entertainer, and Richard just isn't. The only thing I can imagine is, that Richard would team up with a good male vocalist like George Michael. George Michael released a great album called SONGS FROM THE LAST CENTURY in 1999 (produced by Phil Ramone). This kind of cover album, produced and arranged by Richard, would be great and it would be selling, too.

Bruno

Jeff, I'm assuming that you saw Barry on QVC and heard him sing? How did he sound to you? Both my husband and I thought he sounded raspy and on the last note of one of the later songs, his voice actually cracked and he had this surprised look on his face. We also saw him on GMA and then, too, he sounded terrible. The album itself is wonderful. I actually like it better than the "fifties" album. Perhaps, something happened during his hip surgery? Like the intubation tube nicking the vocal cords. I don't know. I just hope he's OK.

Bruno, I agree with you on Richard doing some cover versions, but I don't think it'll ever happen. I think Richard is content with his life the way it is, much to my disappointment.

Marilyn

Marilyn,

as I'm a Manilow fan, I'm sad to hear, that his voice is not in good shape these days. I agree with you, that the intubation might have harmed his vocal chords.

Anyway, he should have taken some more time out to recover from his operation, but he seems to be addicted to his career.

The new album hasn't been released here in Germany yet. It will be released however in the UK at the end of November, and Barry will be doing some tv promotion in London.

I already ordered the new album as an import at amazon.de, as well as his new DVD with his Emmy winning TV special MUSIC AND PASSION.

Bruno

I think the issue is that almost all of Richard Carpenter's artistic output has involved the voice of a vocalist who's been gone for over 13 years. He is not known as an artist in his own right. As a result, any strides he's tried to make as a solo act have failed miserably. Frankly, the fact that he's even been allowed to issue solo efforts on A&M is a mystery in and of itself.

Barry & Rod, on the other hand, are proven commodities. As has already been stated, both are very capable entertainers. Barry is perfectly capable of doing it all himself. He often does his own rhythm arrangements and he plays a mean piano. Rod is a force of nature unto himself and what he may lack in terms of musical skill he more than makes up for in stage presence. Both are at the point where their fan bases are so large, anything they do will sell enough to justify their presence on a major record label. Such is not the case with Richard.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom