• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

BEAT OF THE BRASS (UK mono)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I've recently come into possession of a mono copy of THE BEAT OF THE BRASS from the UK, and I was literally bowled over with the quality of the sound. It sounds so incredibly clear, especially in comparison with the CDs that are out there.

And it leads me to the question for those of you out there with UK vinyl - are they all like that? Is this an oddball pressing, or are other UK pressings this excellent? I know that the UK pressings of Beatles albums are highly prized. Now I'm wondering if we should all be grabbing UK vinyl of Herb's stuff too?

Harry

The first UK pressings of Herb's music were on $tateside and were largely high-quslity EMI pressings. Then he moved to Pye, whose pressings were always a bit iffy. Later when A&M became fully independent, the pressings were much better. But worth looking out for is the 6-disc World Record Club boxed set (Titled simple 'Herb Alpert') released in the late 60s. This contains almost everything recorded up to that point, and was pressed by EMI, so the quality is excellent.

This has me wondering... is the mono mix of "The Beat of the Brass" it's own mono mix, or is it just a fold-down of the stereo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom