• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Bebel Gilberto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I guess I can say that I've been "smitten" with this new voice coming out of my CD player recently. :)

Bebel Gilberto is the daughter of Bossa Nova legend João Gilberto and Brazilian singer Miúcha. (In other words, no blood relation to Astrud Gilberto, if that's what you're thinking.) I had heard of her for the past few years, but recently borrowed the Tanto Tempo CD to give it a listen. It sat for awhile but just over the past couple of weeks, I've been playing it quite a bit. If you're familiar with her father's singing on that classic Getz/Gilberto album, she sings in a similar style: she's not a flashy high-register "belter", but instead, sings in a a deeper contralto with measured pitch and phrasings similar to João. It's cool, serpentine and sensuous, and I can almost hear this music accompanying a bubble bath. :)

I have her debut Tanto Tempo and this year's follow-up, Bebel Gilberto, on order, and can give more impressions later on. For now, though, I can't contain the excitement. Tanto Tempo is like a mixture of early 60's Bossa with subtle electronic beats and rhythms of today. Overwhelmingly Bossa Nova, though, which is a good thing, and she has the talent to make it work. It's a rare recent recording that sticks in my head long after the disc has stopped spinning.

Links to both of her CDs at Amazon:

Tanto Tempo

Bebel Gilberto

Rudy said:
For now, though, I can't contain the excitement. Tanto Tempo is like a mixture of early 60's Bossa with subtle electronic beats and rhythms of today. Overwhelmingly Bossa Nova, though, which is a good thing, and she has the talent to make it work. It's a rare recent recording that sticks in my head long after the disc has stopped spinning.

Oh, man! This is so true!! Bebel is where its at!!! I couldn't believe how well received the mixture of the old and new sounds of Bossa Nova would make such an incredible impact, yet they have in amazing ways.

Jon

...who always believed there was hope for good, solid Bossa Beats in today's day and age...

brasil_nut said:
Rudy said:
For now, though, I can't contain the excitement. Tanto Tempo is like a mixture of early 60's Bossa with subtle electronic beats and rhythms of today. Overwhelmingly Bossa Nova, though, which is a good thing, and she has the talent to make it work. It's a rare recent recording that sticks in my head long after the disc has stopped spinning.

Oh, man! This is so true!! Bebel is where its at!!! I couldn't believe how well received the mixture of the old and new sounds of Bossa Nova would make such an incredible impact, yet they have in amazing ways.

Jon

...who always believed there was hope for good, solid Bossa Beats in today's day and age...

Neil,
I'm somewhat surprised it took you so long to 'discover' her since Jon mentioned that he was already very impressed by Tanto Tempo in a previous posting (not to mention my little mini-review a while back). But it gets even better yet, since she's appearing at 'The Theatre' on August 21st here in Hockeytown, which in fact is within the Hockeytown Cafe (formerly Second City Theatre)!! Tickets are $30 and I'm planning on being there, but there's more to this story: simultaneously next door at the Fox will be Diana Krall, with tickets ranging from $48 to $125(!?!). And that's the same day (Saturday) as the Woodward Dream Cruise, so it'll have to be Dream Cruise in the day and Bebel at night, foregoing Diana..... And Jon, I believe she's playing in LA at UCLA this fall as well.

Tim

Diana vs. Bebel? Ouch!! Yeah, I'd probably take Bebel since I'm sure Diana Krall would tour more often. If Bebel would come to Ann Arbor (the Bird of Paradise or The Ark would be ideal), that would be even better.

So, the Second City's gone from Detroit, eh?

Rudy said:
Diana vs. Bebel? Ouch!! Yeah, I'd probably take Bebel since I'm sure Diana Krall would tour more often. If Bebel would come to Ann Arbor (the Bird of Paradise or The Ark would be ideal), that would be even better.

So, the Second City's gone from Detroit, eh?

I'd rather see/hear Bebel anyhow (I know, Diana's gorgeous!), but $48 for nosebleed seats is about as bad as a Red Wing game, another Mike Ilitch production! At least his pizza's pretty reasonably priced (although my kids and I prefer Buddy's). While I'm there I might try to find somone in charge and campaign for a Sergio booking, since maybe Bossa Nova is making a comeback.....

As for Second City, I heard they moved out west nearer to you in Novi or Walled Lake.

I'm listening to Bebel's new one as I type. I've been a fan since Tanto Tempo was first released (I don't think it's been mentioned, but there's also a Tanto Tempo Remixes CD out, as well). Maybe it's a west coast thing, but she performs here at least twice a year, usually at mid-sized venues.

I had a good laugh reading through the credits of her new CD. This is probably only funny to fans of old MGM movies and maybe Broadway musicals, but the synthesizer programmer is listed as Alexis Smith. I think I'm safe in assuming it's not the late actress (late wife of Craig "Peter Gunn" Stevens), unless she's seriously diversified after her transition to the Great Beyond. :D

Just a reminder--Miucha is certainly no slouch. In fact, I prefer her to Astrud (forgive me, Astrud fanatics around these parts). Miucha recorded several great albums with Jobim, all of which are available on CD, plus she's the sister of Chico Buarque, one of the great Tropicalistas, whom Alpert fans will recognize as the composer of "A Banda."

It's interesting that Astrud had never intended to be a singing star, and yet her almost accidental appearance on "Girl from Ipanema" pretty much turned her into one, even as unpolished as her style was. One reason I like Bebel is because she sings in lower registers. Generally I don't like female singers, and find I gravitate toward those that sing in lower registers.

Haven't heard anything with Miucha, but I'm certainly willing to find a few. Especially if she recorded with Jobim. :thumbsup:

She does a great version of "Tiro Cruzado" with Jobim, which Sergio later covered on Brasil '88. She has a Gal Costa-ish quality--fuller bodied than Bebel. Very enjoyable and I recommend anything by her very highly.

JMK said:
I'm listening to Bebel's new one as I type. I've been a fan since Tanto Tempo was first released (I don't think it's been mentioned, but there's also a Tanto Tempo Remixes CD out, as well). :D

I bought the Tanto Tempo Remixes CD and as I expected, it couldn't compare with the original; they attempted to convert the tracks into Dance-type music, probably in an attempt to get more airtime on those types of radio stations and in dance clubs. I doubt I'll be listening to it very often, and I hope that in her upcoming Aug. 21st concert here in Detroit (got my 2nd row seat!) only covers the original mix as well as her new CD, which I haven't heard as of yet. I'll submit a review if anyone's interested....

I actually like the remixes, but I'm a sucker for drum loops (I know, guilty pleasure :) ). Most of the remixers do a lot of Brasilian material--I don't think airplay is their main goal.

I heard some samples of the remix album, but didn't really see the point of getting it. (There is now an import CD that has the original album plus most of the remixes on it.) The only reason I see for remixes to happen: it's a way of bridging a retro-Bossa sound with techno/trance sounds of today. This works more in a club environment, so I'll leave it to those who are into that kind of thing. :wink:

The new CD isn't bad. Love the lead-off track, "Baby". The new one sounds more compressed though, like they're going for a more pop-oriented sound. (Not that Tanto Tempo was any prize sonically...way too much of a "smiley face" EQ for my taste.) She composes more of the songs on this second one, and they're nice IMHO. Definitely won't be disappointed if you pick it up!

Tim--definitely post something about the concert if you can. Chances are slim and none that I'd even be able to attend. I'm barely home now as it is! :wink:

amazon.co.uk said:
Long Time...
An interview with Bebel Gilberto

Bebel Gilberto's father is "the King of Bossa" Joao Gilberto. Her mother is celebrated Brazilian vocalista Miucha Gilberto. Her uncle is famed intellectual songwriter Chico Buarque. But despite being born into this highly musical and hugely talented family she was 33 before she made an album. Amazon.co.uk contributor Paul Sullivan talks to Brazil's most famous musical daughter.

Amazon.co.uk: How was growing up with such an intensely musical and famous family?

Bebel Gilberto: Things were very "uncommon", shall we say. All I wanted when I was a child was to have a normal family, a father that came home after work with a briefcase. Instead of that I had a family that played on stage all the time; even when it was time for me to sleep they just delayed my time to sleep so that I could sing more songs with them! But on the other hand, I was fortunate enough to have total contact with music--I had music lessons without even knowing I was having them, because I was constantly joining in with my family, improvising and memorising melodies that my father wanted me to sing. It was a very smooth way of doing music and I'm very proud of it.

Amazon.co.uk: Did you feel a lot of pressure to be a musical success from an early age?

Bebel Gilberto: When I was growing up I didn't feel any pressure but afterwards the pressure really became strong. One of the reasons that I moved to the USA 10 years ago was because I had lots of pressure from producers and people from record companies who wanted me to do exactly what my father had done. I didn't want that, so I had a lot of problems. It took me five years to find the right people for me to work with.

Amazon.co.uk: At what point did you decide that you wanted a career in music?

Bebel Gilberto: At about 19 years old I got a record deal to do an EP for Warner in 1986, but the Brazilian rock-pop thing was really big at that time and I never felt really comfortable with it. The only person I used to listen to was Sade; I was crazy about her and I still believe that she is the biggest influence I've ever had. She is everything in the world to me. She sings with her heart and she's not totally obsessed with being really successful. When I heard her first album I started writing songs professionally.

Amazon.co.uk: Your debut LP, Tanto Tempo, is a very Brazilian-sounding LP and very bossa-influenced, but it also features some "electronic" collaborations with the likes of Amon Tobin, Thievery Corporation, Towa Tei and Smoke City--how did you hook up with these people?

Bebel Gilberto: After I'd been in New York for a while I met Towa Tei from Dee-Lite. We wrote some songs and I appeared on two of his albums. I was introduced to an audience that didn't know anything about me, that had a background more in electronic music which I really liked. I then began working with Suba, an electronic-music producer based in Sao Paulo, who produced most of my album before he tragically passed away. I met all the others just through various friends and gigs in New York and London.

Amazon.co.uk: On the album you've covered bossa standards by your uncle Chico Buarque, by Marcos Valle, Joao Donato and Gilberto Gil. Why did you choose those artists and those songs?

Bebel Gilberto: The cover of Baden Powell's "Samba da Bencao" happened almost by accident. I was going to write a song over one of Amon Tobin's tracks but when I got home I started listening to the record and thought "Wow, we can do a new version of this", and both of us got very excited about how it would sound with some electronic elements--it's actually one of my favourite tracks on the album. Marcos Valle's "Summer Samba (So Nice)" is just a lovely song and I wanted to sing it in English as the original Portuguese words don't speak so loud to my heart. "Bananeira" was penned by Donato and Gil and I always used to sing it whenever I played live so it has a lot of personal emotions for me. I bought Joao in to do some arrangements and play on it. Chico's "Samba e Amor" I covered as it isn't really well known but it's a great song about making love and writing music until late in the day!

Amazon.co.uk: Have you "updated" the bossa sound do you think?

Bebel Gilberto: I don't like to call my album a bossa album as I think there is a lot more to it than just bossa. Being my father's daughter it'd be too tacky for me to say I'm the new hope for bossa nova or something like that. I always try to avoid saying it. People ask me "So why did you choose those standards? They're bossa," which is true. But they're not exactly "The Girl from Ipanema".

Amazon.co.uk: What does your father think of the album?

Bebel Gilberto: I have lots of problems with my father. I'm his only daughter you know and I left Brazil a long time ago so I'm not going to say our relationship is the most stable in the world. Anything I do my father will criticise so I already gave up (laughs). He likes the album though and that's the important thing.

Amazon.co.uk: Which five albums have influenced you most?

Bebel Gilberto: Anything by Sade, but especially Promise. Urubu by Antonio Jobim--I love the strings on that album. "Quem e quem" by Joao Donato is wonderful. Amoroso by my father. And for something crazy I think Purple Rain by Prince.

Rudy said:
Tim--definitely post something about the concert if you can. Chances are slim and none that I'd even be able to attend. I'm barely home now as it is! :wink:

Well, you missed a very enjoyable evening, even with all the adversity such as the band being hung up at US Customs (prior gig was in Toronto) and not starting until 10:25 PM, ending at 11:55. Sat in the 2nd row just right of center, 10 feet from Bebel's mic stand. First three songs were from her latest CD I believe (since I haven't gotten it yet, but will by week's end!), and then performed most of the Tanto Tempo tracks, including Samba Da Bencao, August Day Song, So Nice, Bananeira and of course Tanto Tempo (initially the 'Normal' version and later the 'Remix' as a bonus). I was hoping for Close Your Eyes, which has become my favorite, which she performed as an encore number, with each of the six members of her ensemble contributing a solo performance. She also mentioned that this was her first appearance in Michigan, and during the performance I wondered what combining her with Sergio Mendes would be like - awesome!
Anyhow, since I've got much more to say and several pictures too, I'll put together a little story (review?) together, but if you get the chance to see her perform, don't miss out - at my advanced age I still very much regret all the concerts I've missed in my life (other Sergio concerts, Cream, Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, TJB, Carpenters, etc., etc.), so I'll try not to let it happen again....

Hey guys!! Been a long time since I been here! Anyhoo, I just saw Bebel at the TLA in Philly with my girlfriend (who only heard a few Bebel songs that I played her and loved it) and it was pretty great!!! Her vocals were flawless even though the AC was cranking and it was extrenely cold in the theater. Bebel even wore a sweater/wrap for most of the gig and commented several times on the temperature in a good natured way. Unfortunately, I didn't take my camera as the Ticketmaster website said they weren't allowed, but I saw several cameras there. A few comments about the concert, in no specific order: 1. The audience was very stiff, but i could tell most wanted to get up and dance, which they did by the end. 2. The opening act was a DJ. He spun some awesome Brazilian stuff, but sure didn't do much else on the "wheels of steel". Heck, pay me and I'll play some records for ya! 3. Bebel did change up a couple songs with different rythmns, but I'd prefer the originals. 4. Although I wasn't expecting Kiss or Britney Spears, her backng band played pretty tight, but I would have liked a bit more "rocking" or energy. The percussionist was the most exciting to watch and he held back for most of the night.

I will go see her again if she comes by Philly again. I totally love the new cd, but I must say I prefer the Os Mutantes version of "Baby" over Bebel's.

So, I finally got to see Bebel Gilberto. I just saw Southern Culture on the Skids. Now, I must see Sergio (after passing a few times like a fool) and somehow get to see Los Amigos Invisibles. These are Trent's "must-see" concerts. Oh, and The Wildhearts, eventually.

Cotton66 said:
...even though the AC was cranking and it was extremely cold in the theater. Bebel even wore a sweater/wrap for most of the gig and commented several times on the temperature in a good natured way. Unfortunately, I didn't take my camera as the Ticketmaster website said they weren't allowed, but I saw several cameras there.

It's ironic, but the EXACT thing happened here in Detroit last Saturday! It was a cool day but the A/C was cranked way up, and eventually Bebel went off stage for a blanket and then a jacket. We were also freezing until the temperature was adjusted a bit later.

I took my little cheapo Kodak digital camera just in case, asking the security man if it was allowed; he said no, but the policy wasn't really enforced. Later, just prior to admitting us, he announced that no flash pix were allowed until AFTER the third song - my speculation is because they were from her latest CD, while her fourth was the opening track of Tanto Tempo (Samba da Bencao) , but I could be wrong about that. Bebel even posed for some camera and cell phone shots among the crowd, which I thought was really cool....

Tim--I also heard the Diana Krall concert was quite good also. If the timing was right, one could have seen Krall at the Fox, then walk across the street to see Bebel. But who'd have known about the delay? :wink:

Also, if you were wondering what she'd sound like in a Mendes situation, I'm thinking of the new Matt Bianco that actually does sound a lot like the old Brasil '66 in a few ways--both the vocalists (Basia and Mark Reilly) sing in the same range as Lani Hall and Sergio. And of course, tons of Bossa, pop and jazz influences.

Rudy said:
Tim--I also heard the Diana Krall concert was quite good also. If the timing was right, one could have seen Krall at the Fox, then walk across the street to see Bebel. But who'd have known about the delay? :wink:

Also, if you were wondering what she'd sound like in a Mendes situation, I'm thinking of the new Matt Bianco that actually does sound a lot like the old Brasil '66 in a few ways--both the vocalists (Basia and Mark Reilly) sing in the same range as Lani Hall and Sergio. And of course, tons of Bossa, pop and jazz influences.

Neil - I'm just a poor GM engineer with a wife who likes big, expensive houses :nut: , a kid at MSU and another who's just starting high school. I couldn't even afford the fancy duds those people walking into the Fox wore let alone their ticket price ($48-$125!!), so I had to settle for watching the Lions lose another road (exhibition) game and the first six innings of the seesaw Tigers/Seattle game (which was also across the street) on one of the numerous Hockeytown Cafe TVs during my 3+ hour wait.... but don't get me wrong, it was worth the wait. BTW, I also got the name and number of the theatre's marketing manager and plan on making a few booking suggestions (Sergio? Lani?) - or do you have any suggestions?

As for this Matt Bianco (guy or group?), I'm not familar with them, but I'll check 'em out - thanks! :)

Tim: Matt Bianco is actually the group name. (And sorry for the two year delay in replying. :D ) I've posted elsewhere in the forum about the group.

I'm sure some of the avid Bebel Gilberto fans here may have already heard of this CD, but I only just discovered it on Amazon a few days ago. It's on the way to me now, in fact.

B000063UL6.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

De Tarde, Vendo o Mar: The Sound of Brazil

It is a 1991 recording released in Japan, but was only just released in the US in the past few years.

FWIW, I still haven't picked up the two remix albums, but it's interesting to note that I've heard a few of these over stores' music systems while out shopping.

Matt Bianco is actually the group name. (And sorry for the two year delay in replying. )
Proof positive that if you ask a question here at A&M Corner, it WILL get answered...even if it takes 2 years! :D

Mike Blakesley said:
Matt Bianco is actually the group name. (And sorry for the two year delay in replying. )
Proof positive that if you ask a question here at A&M Corner, it WILL get answered...even if it takes 2 years! :D

It was an Alzheimer's moment, I'm sure. :D

Rudy said:
Tim: Matt Bianco is actually the group name. (And sorry for the two year delay in replying. :D ) I've posted elsewhere in the forum about the group.

I'm sure some of the avid Bebel Gilberto fans here may have already heard of this CD, but I only just discovered it on Amazon a few days ago. It's on the way to me now, in fact.

Well I'm glad you've cleared that up, since I've been sitting here anxiously awaiting your reply! :tongue:

As for De Tarde, Vendo o Mar: The Sound of Brazil, it's an interesting early work of Bebel's in which she's more of an accompanying vocalist than in her current CDs. I found it as a 'cutout' a while back and when I read that she was the featured singer, bought it. It's done totally in Brasil with an all-Brasilian ensemble if I recall, and is a pleasant if somewhat laid back compilation - worth having though.

BTW, I still haven't responded to your earlier message yet :oops: myself...

Brasil_66_Fan said:
As for De Tarde, Vendo o Mar: The Sound of Brazil, it's an interesting early work of Bebel's in which she's more of an accompanying vocalist than in her current CDs. I found it as a 'cutout' a while back and when I read that she was the featured singer, bought it. It's done totally in Brasil with an all-Brasilian ensemble if I recall, and is a pleasant if somewhat laid back compilation - worth having though.

BTW, I still haven't responded to your earlier message yet :oops: myself...

Thanks Tim! I got the same impression about the CD via the review at Amazon...they mentioned it almost has a Creed Taylor feel to it, which should make it a nice listen.

The Matt Bianco CD I mentioned is "Matt's Mood" from 2003, which features the original lineup with Basia, Danny White and Mark Reilly. Their only other recording together is "Whose Side Are You On?" from 1984. (The group name Matt Bianco is based on a fictional spy character they dreamed up.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom