• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Best Cat Stevens Songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

With all the recent interest in Cat, would like to know your favorite songs by him. There are so many to choose from, mine are probably more off the wall than most: "Sitting" (from Catch Bull At 4), "The Hurt" (from Foreigner), and "Ghost Town", (fom Buddah and the Chocolate Box)
How about you guys?

I always thought "Bitterblue" from TEASER (SP 4313) was an overlooked gem.
JB

I definitely second "Bitterblue"! [One of the "really-should-have-been-released-as-singles" '70s songs, for sure.]
My other top faves are "Can't Keep It In" [which, likewise, was never released as a single, which I've always found weird], "Ready" [about as funky and danceable as Cat Stevens ever got; I'm a drummer, so I love cuts with really funky drum parts to 'em], "Tuesday's Dead," "Wild World," and - the most obscure one in the bunch - "Killin' Time" from Izitso. The lyrics could admittedly have been a lot better, but I just love the instrumental track to that one. Seriously tight groove going on there.

Jeff F.

"Wild World" has always been my favorite Cat tune. "Whistlestar" is also another favorite (renamed "Whistle Song" on the TJB record).

Capt. Bacardi

For me, it's easily Peace Train; Both the lyrics, Cat's delivery and those guitar chords I try and strum along to!

I have it on a '45' B/W the equally good "The Hurt"... Think the message Cat conveys in both of those songs is very heartwarming, heartfelt and promising...

Hugo Montenegro did a remake of "Peace Train", which I also like. And I remember seeing an album entitled Peace Train, long ago by Ben McPeek, His Voices And Orchestra, on which he's standing on a train engine on the cover...

Dave

"Angelsea," from CATCH BULL AT FOUR, is a killer tune. I used to have the album, got rid of it for some reason, then rediscovered the tune this year via XM Radio.

Also: Another vote for "Bitterblue," (actually everything on TEASER), and I also am a big fan of "Music," "Sun/C79" and "Oh Very Young" all from BUDDHA AND THE CHOCOLATE BOX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom