• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Best Jazz On A&M

Who Was Your Favorite A&M Jazz Artist?

• George Benson

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Wes Montgomery

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Gerry Mulligan

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Herbie Mann

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Mangione

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Les McCann

• Paul Desmond

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Gato Barbieri

• Thad Jones & Mel Lewis

• Sonny Fortune

• Dave Liebman

• Gerry Niewood

• Dave Brubeck

• Charlie Haden

• Jimmy Owens

• Roger Kellaway

• Pete Jolly

• Jim Hall

• Don Cherry

• Dizzy Gillespie & Max Roach

• Tom Scott

• Nat Adderley

• Antonio Carlos Jobim

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quincy Jones

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Gap Mangione

• Paul Winter

• Charles Lloyd

• Tamba 4

• Neil Larsen

• Billy Hart

• Stan Getz

• Eduardo Del Barrio

• Art Blakey

• Sun Ra

• Vernell Brown, Jr.

• Paulinho Da Costa

• Gil Evans

• Chet Baker

• Ornette Coleman

• Ira Sullivan

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy the two Paul Winter albums, both WINTER CONSORT and SOMETHING IN THE WIND and Pete Jolly's SEASONS sure seems more like Jazz (and rather EXPERIMENTAL) than either GIVE A DA&MN or HERB ALPERT PRESENTS...

...still commenting on "My Favorite Jazz", online...!!!:cool:

Dave

I have to put my THIRD favorite Jazz Artist on A&M, here, and that would be Charles Lloyd... I think he used his Waves album as a sort of an "ulterior-motive" to introduce Jazz to a Rock fans... A few Beach Boys like Carl Wilson, Mike Love and even Brian Wilson appear on it, as well as Roger McGuinn of The Byrds... And Pamela Polland... And it helps that my favorite guitarist Gabor Szabo plays on it (though it's not quite my favorite guest-spot by Gabor) as well... Lloyd made an album on another label sporting an appearance by those same Beach Boys members, too... Guess there was a sort of an "influence" going on among the two parties during this time...

And Charles' second album, Geeta, also on A&M, had a "(Rolling) Stones Medley", too!

Dave

This is actually "Mission Impossible". The A&M/CTI/Horizon jazz stable was quite impressive indeed! I voted for Tom Jobim. But I love the music of many others including, Herb Alpert (Midnight Sun), Tamba 4, Walter Wanderley, Quincy Jones, Chet Baker, George Benson, Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burell, Herbie Mann, Paul Desmond, Deodato, etc. A&M put out much good product in those days. Most of it still holds up well.

Nice to see this thread resurrected. If I were asked to select four favorite albums from what I presently own of A&M jazz, it would have to be

1) Paul Desmond, Summertime
2) A.C. Jobim, Wave
3) Tamba 4, We And The Sea
4) Quincy Jones, Walking In Space

For the fourth one, I was originally going with Wes Montgomery's Down Here On The Ground, but Jones's track Dead End, with that perfect light brass, woodwind and electric bass intro, is to me the musical definition of jazz.

Top 4 A&M Jazz CDs that I own:

1. Midnight Sun – Herb Alpert

2. The Other Side of Abbey Road – George Benson

3. Down Here On the Ground – Wes Montgomery

4. From The Hot Afternoon – Paul Desmond
I just wish that this CD didn’t have all the Alternative takes on it; there are 5 of them.

Honorable mention:
Summertime – Paul Desmond
Glory of Love – Herbie Mann
Shape of Things to Come – George Benson
Down Here on the Ground – Wes Montgomery

Regards,
Mike

OK, I’ve got one more A&M (Horizon) CD that should probably be in the top four that I own (so now it’s the top 5).

#5. You Can’t Go Home Again – Chet Baker

Other notables on this CD include: Paul Desmond, Michael Brecker, Kenny Barron, Hubert Laws Don Sebesky and John Scofield.

The opening number – Love For Sale – is 12:58 long. It gives me plenty of time to get into the groove.

Regards,
Mike

Sounds like great choices, Mike! :thumbsup: Though I don't own the Alpert or Benson releases - haven't been tempted to buy George's all-Beatles effort yet. Summertime and Glory of Love are great albums, very tastefully done.

When I think of A&M Vinyl, I immediately think about Quincy and a tune I just couldn't stop listening to.........."Killer Joe". I had just returned from Vietnam, I was all of 20 years old, without a scratch!!, and considered myself the lukiest man alive. I had enjoyed many A&M artists as a youngster though...Sergio, Wes M., Chet and of course George Benson. I just picked up the new Benson & Jarreau CD, which I haven't listened to as yet...But looking forward!

HiFiEER

"Killer Joe" is one of the best cuts on Quincy's Walking in Space. That song and "Dead End" are the only ones I go to the album to hear.

Hi
Tough call bteween Quincy, Jobim, Desmond and Montgomery. I have all of their albums:wink:

My vote goes for....Jobim!

So so good and with those Deodato arrangements - Phew - nothing can beat that

/Shaft!

There's an album by Jim Hall on Horizon called live. I've heard people call it one of the most essential albums of all time. It's very good indeed. I bought the cd a few months ago. I think Chuck Mangione was one of the few A&M jazz artists to record for the label during his prime. That said, Wes Montgomery, Pete Jolly, Jobim, Paul Desmond, Quincy Jones, and Gerry Mulligan are my favorite jazz A&M recording artists. If I had to name albums, I'd say Paul Desmond's Summertime, Wes Montgomery's three albums for A&M, Quincy's Walking In Space, HA presents Pete Jolly, and Give A Damn, and Tide are my favorite albums. I also like Bellevia, Chase The Clouds Away, Main Squeeze, and Fun & Games by Chuck Mangione.

I forgot to add, Herbie Mann's Glory of Love. I really dig this album! I meant to put it on the top of my list. Is this the only album Mann recorded for A&M?

audiofile said:
I forgot to add, Herbie Mann's Glory of Love. I really dig this album! I meant to put it on the top of my list. Is this the only album Mann recorded for A&M?

Under his own name, yes. Mann also recorded under the pseudonym "The Fluteman" on a later album by the "Soul Flutes," Trust in Me, SP 3009. You may like the discussion here: http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7416 The principal flautist definitely sounds like Mann. We here at the Corner hypothesize that Mann's identity wasn't revealed in order to dodge contractual obligations with Atlantic at the time. It's amusing to read the liner notes for this album by Ira Gitler where he himself has to use the word "Fluteman" when referring to Mann. It's not the best album from the 3000 series but still has many good moments.

nightcat said:
I'll go with...

1 Wes Montgomery
2 Herbie Mann
3 Tamba 4
4 Nat Adderley
5 Antonio Carlos Jobim

Which are the First A&M/CTi Artists...! :)

Dave :neutral:inkshield:

I'm kinda hard core on the jazz stuff...Prestiege, Blue Note, impulse!, et al...so CTi/A&M was always more of a pop/jazz label to me -- given the emphases on orchestrations and shorter song lengths. Creed was already doing this sort of thing over at Verve before he left. I selected Nat Adderely on the strength of Calling Out Loud. I only have about 10 of the CTi releases, but Nat's is the closest to straight-ahead, progressive late '60s jazz. Aside from Ornette's sole release, I don't know the Horizon/A&M era, but I hear it's less pop-influenced.

You're defintely missing out on some great music by not checking out the Horizon series, especially the stuff from '75-'78. The Modern Masters Series was also good.

Capt. Bacardi

Yeah, I tend to be '50s/'60s-heavy...with just a "smattering" of stuff since 1970 -- although there's a great deal of "underground" non-corporate/major label music that I like a great deal. How about a recommendation? (As for post-CTi pre-Horizon A&M jazz sounds, I like the Age Of Steam LP a great deal as well as the Desmond's Bridge Over Trouble Water; Q's Smackwater Jack is just OK...)

Maybe you're just trying to categorize music too much. Just listen to the music, and try to have an open mind.

I don't listen to the Wes Montgomery albums on A&M and say, "hey this is pop/easy listening, not jazz." It's jazz man. Jazz is not so much a particular sound, but a feeling; a way of playing. Wes ain't playing any different on these albums than he did on the Riverside dates.

Just a suggestion. If you still don't like them after that, than maybe they're just not for you.

However, if you're considering checking out some CTI stuff, pick up Paul Desmond's Summertime, Herbie Mann's Glory of Love, George Benson's Shape of Things To Come, and Kai and J.J's Israel.

You also need to check out Jim Hall Live! It's on Horizon.

Happy Listening. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

audiofile said:
Maybe you're just trying to categorize music too much. Just listen to the music, and try to have an open mind.

I don't listen to the Wes Montgomery albums on A&M and say, "hey this is pop/easy listening, not jazz." It's jazz man. Jazz is not so much a particular sound, but a feeling; a way of playing. Wes ain't playing any different on these albums than he did on the Riverside dates.
Thanks, audiophile. When I wear my arranger's hat I tend to start categorizing...which has been a major focus during the past 5 years. Of course, you're right, in terms of what Wes is doing (except on Wendy) is just like he'd do with his trio. In fact, I betcha these things were recorded with a combo...then Claus O. would add the orchestration later. I seriously doubt Wes was recording with an orchestra present.

Duke Ellington said there are only two types of music...good and bad -- makes it a lot easier. (As for categorization, you'll be interested to note that with the exception of Jazz, classical and foreign, all my music was recently re-organized by period [e.g., 1971-80]...so there's no more pop, c/w, etc.

Thanks for the CTi suggestions, actually, I have all of those...the Herbie Mann being my fave of the lot.

Seashorepiano, I've read absolutely wonderful things about Bewixt (like it's the finest A&M/CTi LP...) I've located two copies but they were just too worn for me, I'm still on the hunt -- perhaps Japan will re-release both K&JJ issues.

Thanks, guys!

With all this talk about Wes Montgomery, let me just add this:

I have several of his CDs, and my least favorite is “Fusion!, Wes Montgomery with Strings” (Riverside). I have a tough time sitting through the whole thing.

One that does get a lot of time on my CD player is “Tequila” (Verve). It's got a great version of "What the World Needs Now" and who wouldn't enjoy "Tequila"?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom