Black Eyed Peas ELEPHUNK review

Status
Not open for further replies.

TulitaPepsi

From ROLLING STONE:

Black Eyed Peas: ELEPHUNK (A&M) On Elephunk, their third album, Los Angeles alterna-rap group the Black Eyed Peas make another bid to crack the big time. To that end, they break out some marquee names -- Justin Timberlake, Papa Roach, Brazilian samba legend Sergio Mendes -- as well as add a female member, Fergie, to their crew. Party anthems predominate, from the Southern-fried rapid rap "Hands Up" to the Parliament-inflected "Let's Get Retarded," and they all achieve their booty-shaking goals. The snags occur with the group's efforts at grit and substance (the sappy prayer of the Timberlake collaboration, the formulaic rap rock of "Anxiety"), in which cliched observations, preachy lyrics and MTV-ready posturing float atop meticulously detailed production. Ironically, it's that less inspired material that may finally earn the group its breakthrough hit. (ERNEST HARDY)

Nothing about Sergio's contribution... Hmmmmmm.

I know...

I read another "not-so-kind" review a couple of days ago. Oh well. It'll be interesting to see what Sergio comes up with in the Studio. Although, you know how it goes: any opportunity to knock a legend. I'd like to see these critics get in the studio and produce something everyone will listen to and like -- including their fellow critics. Now, that would would be hoot!!

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom