• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

BLOCK HARMONIES : SUBTLE USES/ 1978's ATTEMPT TO RETURN TO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ullalume

Hey all,

What a delightful day it is here in London. May has sprung and it's 25 degrees and 13 minutes past the big boss hour. (Plagiarism can be fun. . .now and then.)

Anyway, even though I'm working I thought I'd mention the beloved BLOCK HARMONIES of the Carpenters, particularly with mention to which of their songs you think has the most subtle use of the backing vocals.

For me, it has to be When It's Gone (one of my absolute favourites). To my ear there are only a snippet of backings in each of the choruses, very subtly mixed, but wonderfully effecting and in keeping with the cyclic, haunting feel of the piece.

When Karen sings "Says it's gone and he can't go on trying to live a lie" underneath it sounds to me like K and R come in with "Gooooonnneeee. . . . . can't go on trying to llllliiiivvvveeee."

Also I Can't Make Music uses it slightly but brilliantly.

Changing subject slightly, from reading interviews from Karen and Richard around the time of 1978, you can see both want to get back to those block harmonies that were lacking to an extent on the Kind of Hush and Passage Albums.

In effect there planned 10th anniversary album due for release spring of '79 would have contained the likes of I Believe You and Slow Dance, both making ample use of there patented 'OOOOO's".

In fact, with I Believe You, it appears that so eagre was Richard to recapture the success of half a decade earlier, and indeed return to his first love of a vocal group, that even though he handed over arranging and orchestrating duties to Paul Riser (perhaps because of the feel for the song. . .perhaps because he was at his lowest ebb with the drugs) he still handled the vocal arrangements for this track, a track I have to say has grown on me tremendously over the years.

Then of course we have MIA which oozes with their trademark stacked harmonies.

Thoughts anyone.

Neil

The backing vocals have always
been so facinating to me, of course
Karens voice is the major force in
there music. I do find it interesting that both Karen and Richard sound just as great doing
there solo album vocals. They both
share that signature vocal tone.
It still amazes me how complex the
backing vocals on Karens solo material are. I have never heard
anything like it anywhere. Phil
Ramone is quite a genius in the
studio.

Jim

The harmonies on Karen't solo albums weren't created by Phil. They were created by the amazingly talented Rod Temperton. He began in the '70's as a member and main songwriter for the group Heatwave. He then moved on to do some great work with Quincy Jones. He also wrote a few songs on a little record called "Thriller" by Michael Jackson. Not bad, eh?..:wink:

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom