• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Blues Alley (DC) set report

Status
Not open for further replies.

David S

Friends,

"Well, this is very encouraging".

That was Mr. Alpert's comment in the middle of the set at Blues Alley in DC this evening, seeming very comfortable with the set and sounds (he commented very positively on the acoustics of the venue) and performing live. The set done this evening (and anecdotes made by Mr. Alpert) was pretty much as several of you reported from your attendance at their dates at Joe's Pub in NYC. I can quite agree with the comments made about "Morning Coffee" and "Like a Lover" -- they were terrifically done songs that I envision sounding quite nicely on a CD. He snuck little snippets of his past catalog into various songs, but for the most part it was Brazilian/Portuguese jazz and American standards, with Ms. Hall singing the lead, with the pianist singing on two, and Mr. Alpert singing occasionally (an especially touching version of "I've Grown Accustomed to Your Face", very reminiscent of "Midnight Sun" -- and which was only reinforced by a beautifully done "Taste of Honey", from Midnight Sun).I rather liked "Besame Mucho" -- a tune I've always liked him doing, whether with Hugh Masekela or on "Magic Man".

Blues Alley is a very intimate setting. According to the bartender, it seats around 135. (I stood at the bar, and wound up in an inpromptu receiving line for Mr. and Mrs Alpert -- so I guess I can forgive those of you who have actually "met" them since I'm happy with them simply having passed me by, even if some of you were able to get some pictures, as I was not so lucky, lol). As I said, Mr. Alpert specifically commented about the acoustics of the place.

All-in-all, a very nice evening of lovely music.

I also have to say that they look terrific.

I just read posts in the other sections of the forum about Ms. Hall's catalog being re-released, and that I would look very much forward to given the power of her voice and the loveliness of "Like a Lover". The only disc I own of hers is from the A&M Classics series.

I hope those of you that are seeing them on remaining dates have a great time.

I think some of you know or have connections with their peeps, so can you do me a favour and let them know that on their web-site they have a spelling boo-boo? "Brazillian" needs to be corrected to Brazilian.

Regards, David Smedley

ps--I looked for you, Mr. Currie, as you said you were going to be at this performance, but as I said, I wound up (not unhappily, I might add), at the bar - the sight line was perfectly dead center.

Thanks for the report! Sorry you did not get to get a picture or meet Herb & Lani. But you got to see the show. That is what really matters.

Don't feel too bad. I didn't get to meet them either, and it will remain one of my regrets in life. In my haste to get to the show, I even forgot to bring the CD booklets and Sharpie that I'd brought along to New York for the express purpose of getting an autograph. I'll have to remain satisfied with having eye-contact with both of them during the first Saturday New York show.

We were close enough, and the lighting was such that several times during the show, Lani or Herb would be looking directly at me and reacted to my reactions to them. The moment that Lani Hall sang a section of "Like A Lover" directly to me will be one I cherish forever. As will the moment during one of Lani's songs when Herb looked directly at me and nodded as if to say, "She's really great, isn't she?"

Harry

Also had a great time at the Blues Alley show last night. I was sitting in the dreaded "obstructed piano view," but it didn't matter one bit...I loved every minute of this compelling show. I agree with many of the highlights David mentioned, and wanted to mention the fantastic Jobim medley they did, which was actually a Jobim-Wechter medley, as they couldn't resist and added a touch of "Spanish Flea" to "One Note Samba."

Herb's comments were hilarious, and I loved it when someone in the audience asked him to sing "Tell It To The Birds," and he launched into the story of recording that in 1958, getting $500 and eventually using that money to launch A&M. When he mentioned how glad he was that people weren't asking for stuff like "Tijuana Taxi" on this tour, one wag in the audience then asked for that very song, to much laughter from the audience and those onstage.

I only hope I look half as good as Herb when I'm 73, and Lani was radiant.

Nice to meet briefly with Dan Haverstock and Tony from across the pond. Sorry, Dave, that I didn't get an opportunity to meet you. Would've introduced you to Tony!

What a show.

Cheers,

Tom

I think David pretty well nailed my reactions, too. A beautiful evening.

David, I guess I was pretty near you... I was a bit in front of the bar and to your right... with my little daughter... the only kid in attendance, I believe. She seemed to enjoy it, although rock and roll is her main thing. She split her attention between watching the show and a loose tooth, which fell out near the end of the set. Pretty funny. We went upstairs afterward and joined a crowd of people who had their old albums autographed and we all got to say a few words to Herb... he was very gracious, especially to my daughter, but he seemed a bit tired, or maybe he's just somewhat uncomfortable with strangers. It must be strange for famous people when they meet total strangers who know so many of the details of their lives.

The backup band was just tremendous... I was particularly blown away by the drummer/percussionist. I was surprised that he is originally from DC, because I would have guessed that he was Brazilian... he had that samba/bossa style down cold. Really good.

Lani Hall sang beautifully. Sometimes when I hear good singing on a recording I wonder how much of that is the result of studio magic. I'm happy to report that she sounds just as good live as she sounds on recordings. Beautiful, strong, pure voice. It was so nice to see her and Herb together... They complement each other personally and also musically.

And Herb... Just a few notes and you know it's him. Still that same warm style and sound. He says he doesn't use his old Chicago Benge trumpet anymore.... he now plays a yamaha. He was saying upstairs afterward that his old (1951) Benge has gotten a little "unreliable"... I think that was the word he used. Seemed like a very nice and gracious man... not averse to sharing the spotlight with his fellow musicians and also took pains to give the names of the songwriters.

I got to meet Tom Wallace before the show. He had a pretty good seat up in front in the corner near the piano, but I don't know if he was able to see the rest of the band very well. Although I didn't get to meet Tony, I suspect that a strong european voice calling out from the crowd once or twice during the set may have belonged to him.

I haven't had that much fun at Blues Alley since I was in high school, when I'd come and sit in the front row and watch Urbie Green (great trombonist). Herb had a funny story about a woman who came to see his band somewhere several nights in a row, each night sitting in the front row; toward the end, she brought binoculars!

I wish all of you could have been there. I hope they make a live album, so at least you can get the flavor of it.

Dan

Dan,

Yes, I saw you sitting there with your daughter and I thought it really cool that someone would bring their child to this to be exposed to some great music. I was actually standing at the end, so literally, you were slightly to my right.

Tom (and Tony), I do regret not meeting you. Hindsight now, but I should have thought of the idea of a mtg spot for those of us from the list. And I agree completely with the Jobim piece! That was excellent.

drs

thesmedman said:
I just read posts in the other sections of the forum about Ms. Hall's catalog being re-released, and that I would look very much forward to given the power of her voice and the loveliness of "Like a Lover". The only disc I own of hers is from the A&M Classics series.
Thank you for the review.

I fell in love with "Like a Lover" the very first time I heard it. It was the flip of "Look of Love" wasn't it? Anyway, one day I decided to flip the hit side over to the B side and check it out. The song and Lani's vocal absolutely BLEW ME AWAY. I thought it was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever heard, and wondered why it hadn't been the A side. So glad to hear she's still singing it! :)

Having queued from 5.30 my friend and I got the ultimate front seat and boy was it worth it!! I spoke to Herb afterwards but I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to speak to more of the Cornerites.

A totally wonderful evening - great music, good food, great company.

Well worth the cost of the flight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom