BOM TEMPO BRASIL shocker!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TulitaPepsi

...in several ways, I prefer it to BOM TEMPO.

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of BOM TEMPO: All of Gracinha's cuts, Emorio and Maracatu Atomico...but for me the other remakes don't hit the bulls-eye the way Berimbau/Consolacao on TIMELESS does. There's just something...off and underdone about them. I thought "Sergio could do better than this. And has!" Imagine my surprise to find that most of BOM TEMPO BRASIL transforms them into the kickass numbers they should have been from the start.

The two biggest transformations are Cutmores You and I and Bimbo Jones' The Real Thing. The first was among my least favorite BOM TEMPO numbers, but the added disco beats infuse it with joy and really make it soar. I don't even miss 'Sergio's Hometown Rap' (my favorite part of the song) in the first version. IMHO, this should be the version released as the single! The pulsating mix of The Real Thing gives it a punch the BOM TEMPO version inexplicably lacks - I like this one as much as the New B'77 version!

Another great change is the Moto Blanco remix of Magalenha. The BOM TEMPO version is too cluttered for my taste, but the dance mix channels in it to a irresistibly bouncing groove that is pure Ice Palace circa 1978.

Some cuts I like every bit as much as the BOM TEMPO originals: Orpheus (Quiet Carnival) and Maracatu Atomico. To quote Beyonce: "I Am Sergio Fierce"!

There are a few that don't improve with remixing. The worst is Roger Sanchez' Pais Tropical. As I've posted before, the BOM TEMPO version is a heartbreaker - after a fantastic, exuberantly bubbly start, it's destroyed by H2O's superfluous, leaden rap - and by the time the chorus returns, it's too late. The new version takes something annoying and makes it unlistenable. I could barely get through it. Paul Harris' Les Eaux de Mars takes the 'pop' out ENCANTO's original, NERVO's Mas Que Nada sounds nothing like the original, with too much will.i.am and barely any Gracinha and Mario C.'s Maracatu (Nation of Love) adds flourishes and aural business the marvelous original doesn't need.

Nicola Conte Zona Sul's So Tinha De Ser Com Voce belongs in its own category. The BOM TEMPO version is one of my favorites, but this re-mix takes something wonderful and turns it into something unexpectedly, awesomely retro: there are moments where it sounds like an unreleased Brasil '66 classic. A remix of uncommon sensitivity, even - it gives me chills of pleasure - Gracinhas vocals have never sound purer or more lustrous. N.C.Z.S gets it . I hope Sergio does a lot more with N.C.Z.S. in the future.

I'll be looking forward to listening to this in the near future. Amazon had listed a 2-CD International Edition of BOM TEMPO a while ago and I decided to go that route. Supposedly, it includes both the original and the remix album, so I figured it was a good one to get.

Unfortunately, they'd had trouble obtaining it for me - they even offered to just cancel the order if I wanted to, but I let them go ahaed and take their time.

Finally today I got the email that it's shipped. So I'm a bit late to the BOM TEMPO party - not that there's all that much discussion going on about it.

Harry

The 2-CD edition arrived today. It's apparently a Canadian issue and has a variation of the remix album cover. Recall that the main BOM TEMPO has a tropical plant arrangement surrounding Sergio in a very blue suit and the remix album has Sergio's figure whited out in silhouette with the words BOM TEMPO BRASIL REMIXED centered over it.

The 2-disc edition is a tad different, with the same whited silhouette, but the album titles are low on the front with a small script "and" in between them.

Catalog number for the 2-disc edition is CRE3226602.

hARRY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom