• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Bootleg Double CD Compilation ~ China, 'DTS'

Seán

Here's an oddity - a double CD from China using the YOM compilation's cover, with the typical mistranslations 'Entertainmein' and weird lyrics booklet, a polydor logo [defunct by the 2000s for Carpenters releases), and claiming to be DTS and surround sound all while using a fake DTS logo and being standard CD discs.
The seller has assumed it's from Japan, but the text is all Chinese characters; not sure if it's traditional chinese from Hong Kong/Macau or the simplified chinese from the Mainland.
Carpenters "Yesterday Once More - Greatest Hits" v.rare 24-Bit DTS Gold 2-CD set | eBay

They're not compatable unless you have a DTS decoder or play it through a DVD or Blu-ray player. As the wiki says, you get noise/static without DTS-capable equipment.
Regardless, this album uses fake DTS logos:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

When the actual DTS logo is this:
digital_dts_surround-copie.png

, so these will not be DTS discs - besides, only the 21 songs on the SACD are surround-sound capable and could be converted onto a DTS CD so it's even less likely that a 2CD set of 30 songs is actually a DTS CD. Very unlikely a bootleg company in China would be able to make surround sound mixes, or would have access to the multitracks necessary to make surround sound mixes!

only the 21 songs on the SACD are surround-sound capable and could be converted onto a DTS CD so it's even less likely that a 2CD set of 30 songs is actually a DTS CD. Very unlikely a bootleg company in China would be able to make surround sound mixes, or would have access to the multitracks necessary to make surround sound mixes!
DTS is capable of supporting 2.0 stereo mixes (I've got a few Blu-Ray's with DTS 2.0---they only sound good if my 5.1 receiver is playing them back in stereo, otherwise the sound sounds like the 2-track mono from the Shout Factory release of COPS Volume 2 "The Case Of Mace's Romance" which didn't combine the mono tracks from the original master correctly).

Well, it's just that for CDs or music, using DTS for stereo is pointless and never happens; every legitimate DTS CD is surround sound or quadraphonic. Plus, it takes up more space on a disc and it isn't universally compatible. Sure, DTS is often used in DVD and Blu-ray, since it's standard practice to use DTS or Dolby Digital, for any kind of audio sound-track whether they be mono, stereo or surround sound.
The album in question is undoubtedly a bootleg...

A genuine DTS music disc requires playback in a DTS-capable environment. It was a short-lived format around the turn of the millennium that tried to further the notion of multi-channel surround in a music environment. It failed. But it sounded really good.

A&M co-founder Herb Alpert released his PASSION DANCE album in the DTS surround format and when played on a Blu-ray player through a DTS decoder, it's remarkable sounding.
R-4434122-1364764736-7909.jpeg.jpg

I'm sure that the afore-mentioned Carpenters disc is likely a Chinese bootleg. In that part of the world, where counterfeits and bootlegs abound, they love to use the latest and greatest acronyms for formats and encoding techniques like so much "bling" at a flea market.

Here's an oddity - a double CD from China using the YOM compilation's cover, with the typical mistranslations 'Entertainmein' and weird lyrics booklet, a polydor logo [defunct by the 2000s for Carpenters releases), and claiming to be DTS and surround sound all while using a fake DTS logo and being standard CD discs.
The seller has assumed it's from Japan, but the text is all Chinese characters; not sure if it's traditional chinese from Hong Kong/Macau or the simplified chinese from the Mainland.
Carpenters "Yesterday Once More - Greatest Hits" v.rare 24-Bit DTS Gold 2-CD set | eBay

Hi Sean,

Thanks for raising the subject of this album on the Forum. I thought I should respond at it is my listing on ebay and another AMCorner member brought the matter to my attention.

I certainly wasn't aware that this is or could be a fake item and I listed in good faith based on info given by the guy from whom I bought this CD. I'm grateful for the additional clarification and based on this I'll revise the description in my listing (I'd not want to mislead prospective buyers so may decide to withdraw it from sale altogether).

at least the issue of possible refunds later has been diminished by knowing :)
just looking at the listing, I see it`s also stated as being 24k gold disc as well, which I doubt very much. it starts to make you wonder about a lot of other stuff that comes from that part of the world!

at least the issue of possible refunds later has been diminished by knowing :)
just looking at the listing, I see it`s also stated as being 24k gold disc as well, which I doubt very much. it starts to make you wonder about a lot of other stuff that comes from that part of the world!

Thanks - the discs are actually gold but I take your point that these are probably not of the quality normally set aside for 24ct CDs. I have to say that the sound quality is actually excellent so am tempted to now keep and enjoy this set myself, despite its Chinese origins.

Another way of proving that the item is not genuine is through its bar code. Every product worldwide has a unique bar code identifier, and if you key in the numbers displayed on that CD package:

UPC 725684796246

...you get a product called "Big Chorus of yellow river"

https://www.barcodelookup.com/725684796246

And then there's the title which says GREATEST HITS 1969&1983. The creators of this counterfeit used an ampersand instead of a hyphen, which techincally would mean that the songs were all from either 1969 OR 1983.

s-l1600.jpg

At the bottom, there's a copyright that says:

2006 Polydor Music Calproductons Entertainmein Ltd.

Those misspellings are a dead giveaway.

Last edited:
Hi Harry, Thanks for the useful information. I did spot the misspellings of Musical, Productions and Entertainment, but certainly didn't check the barcode and to which CD it referred. I am a lot wiser so thank you and to all members responding here - time for a rethink on the sale of this one!

dos`nt seem to be in a rush to remove this :rolleyes:
Your comments are noted - thank you. As I stated earlier "I'm grateful for the additional clarification and based on this I'll revise the description in my listing (I'd not want to mislead prospective buyers so may decide to withdraw it from sale altogether)".

I've revised the listing description and will let it run its course. I don't expect to relist this CD if it fails to sell.

Back
Top Bottom