Bootleg EP? and SRO*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that wasn't difficult. So for everyone who finds the glitch irritating.....

http://syndication.radiosix.com/Herb_Alpert_Monday_Monday.wav
Wow!

I was without internet access for a few days, there, and only just now did I get to check out your work. I'm listening to the result of your work now, as I type this.

I didn't actually expect anyone to try to fix that problem. I had asked about it only out of curiosity. I might almost feel guilty about putting you through the trouble, except that other people might like the result as well.

Well, I just listened to your .wav file to the end now, and I can't find fault with it. Good work!

I guess all I'm trying to say is: Thank you!

Harry,

I buy nice German, and UK Herb Alpert LP discs when possible. Really superb quality mastering and pressings here. And very quiet surfaces.

Not at all uncommon for master tapes to suffer damage (often at the top of the tape) which then appears on second and subsequent pressings. A good example is Sounds Orchestral's "Cast Your fate To the Wind" which suffers from print-through at the start (but not on the first pressing). Generally speaking, copy tapes were made from the masters before the disc was released, and so can become the only source for undamaged masters.
In the U.S.: tapes (often) came out AFTER the records (it was done more on a sales approach-type level). So, in addition to the tape source NOT having RIAA curve eq...tapes, say, in the cases of Beatles Capitol product: would not have "Duophonic" versions of *non-singles* on them (ex: YESTERDAY & TODAY's "I'm Only Sleeping", "Dr. Robert", "And Your Bird Can Sing") but, rather, true STEREO. Just like, also, RCA did NOT use the Dynagroove-compressed master to dupe tapes from.

Regarding the HAP CD of SRO, has the bass distortion present in "I will wait for you" been corrected?
On the fence to whether the new SRO is a sonic improvement over the Shout Factory CD.

If that overmodulation on "I Will Wait For You" is present on the original tape, then no, it can't be corrected. It could be slightly masked, depending on different mastering or restoration techniques. I think I've even heard that "breakup" on the original LP pressings I own.

I can certainly check it tomorrow for you. This evening I am working on getting some speakers properly positioned in my listening room (and bi-wiring them as well), so I'll have a better impression once I'm done with things here.

I no longer have the Shout Factory S.R.O. on my server. But I did give the new version a roll and there is only a little bit of overmodulation at the end of the song. I don't think it's distracting. Maybe because I'm so used to it. I still need to spin the original LP to remind myself how it sounded there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom