• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Brasil 66 "EXPO 70 - Live"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

I just received the Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 “Expo 70” CD, recorded live in Osaka, Japan (April 5, 1970). This is my first time to hear Brasil 66 in a live performance and it’s quite enjoyable. While it is obviously not as slick as a studio-produced album, it has a lot of charm. When they perform “Day Tripper” and the audience is clapping to the beat of the music, it really makes me wish I was there – it must have been great. If you’re a fan I’d recommend getting this CD. If you’ve already got it, wipe off the dust and give it a listen; it’s a lot of fun.

It is good. Personally I like the Brasil 77 live CD, "In Concert," better though, mostly because of its song lineup. (If that disk had Lani and Karen on vocals, along with Gracinha, it would be perfect! Not that Geri Stevens is bad, but she's no Lani.)

Brasil '77 Live on CD? Are you talking about first live Brasil '77 album? If so, I didn't realize it had been released on CD. So far as I know, most everything of Sergio's has been released on CD, short of MAGIC LADY and BRASIL '77 LIVE (with Geri Stevens).

Jon

No, it's not Brasil '77, It's Brasil '66. The CD is a Japanese pressing: Universal International UICY - 3710 (With A&M logo).

Oops! Sorry Jon, I thought you were responding to me. After re-reading your comments it's obvious that you were responding to to Mike B. Please disregard my last post.

Regards, Mike

I have the Expo cd and I love it. Listenining to Daytripper is alot of fun, especially when Rubens has his conga solo and the audience is clapping along. I wish I was at that concert. Can anyone make out what Rubens is trying to say when he yells out to the audience during Daytripper? I can't understand him, sorry. Also does anyone take notice of Lani and the band laughing at the end of Daytripper? What do you suppose was so FUNNY?After the band laughs, I hear Rubens yell again and shaking his tamborine.

Jon - Sorry, I meant "LP." I have it on a CD-R, but that one's never been CD-ized (yet). The way everything Sergio has been coming out lately, I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up eventually!

Cortnee said:
I have the Expo cd and I love it. Listenining to Daytripper is a lot of fun, especially when Rubens has his conga solo and the audience is clapping along. I wish I was at that concert. Can anyone make out what Rubens is trying to say when he yells out to the audience during Daytripper? I can't understand him, sorry. Also does anyone take notice of Lani and the band laughing at the end of Daytripper? What do you suppose was so FUNNY?After the band laughs, I hear Rubens yell again and shaking his tamborine.

I was there (Osaka EXPO hall '70 4/5).
The voice was from Sergio, he saying ''Dozo, Dozo". "Dozo" is Japanese language and it means "please" (or something different) in this case.
In 1970, Japanese people did not know "How to enjoy the show" as well as now. Audience worried to "clap hands", so Sergio said "Dozo (clap hands and join our music)".
Sorry my English not good.

Poo

My favorite tune on Expo '70 is "Scarborough Fair". I like the piano riffs and percussion thing that went on. It had a nice feel to it.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
My favorite tune on Expo '70 is "Scarborough Fair". I like the piano riffs and percussion thing that went on. It had a nice feel to it.

I couldn't agree with you more. "Scarborough Fair" has always been a favorite EXPO cut of mine. "Viola" would be my second choice, as it showcases Brasil '66 at its finest.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom