Brasil '66 Non-Album Tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles H.

Until recent years, I didn't know there were so many singles by the Tijuana Brass and the Baja Marimba Band that were not included on any of their albums. What about Brasil '66? How many (and what) non-album tracks did they release?

Also, is the single, "Aza Branca" by Brasil '66 the same recording as "Asa Branca" on the Brasil '77
"Pais Tropical" album? If so, why the title change from 'aza' to 'asa' and why is it a B '66 single but included on a B '77 album?

Charles

Here's a few that come to mind directly -- I'm sure others will chime in with more. Many non-album tracks by Sergio (on A&M) are singles that are simply re-mixes of album tracks.

"The Christmas Song" - part of the A&M various artists Christmas collection called Something Festive
"For What It's Worth" - different version of the Stillness track. It sounds unfinished, to my ears.
"Norwegian Wood" - this edited version contains a few seconds more of the the middle instrumental jam, but omits the ending that's found on the Ye-Me-Le album. (The song fades out during the instrumental part.)
"The Crab" - Sounds like it was recorded during the Pais Tropical sessions. It is available as a bonus track on the Japanese CD versions of Primal Roots."
"Pais Tropical" (Japanese-language version) - included on some Japanese versions of the album of the same name.

I've never heard of "Aza Branca" by Brasil '66. It's very likely that's just a typo, since Sergio's group was definitely named Brasil '77 by that time. The Stillness album was released with "Brasil '77" on the cover in some parts of the world, so it's not too far-fetched to think that a Brasil '77 single here and there might have been mislabeled by accident.

I just remembered seeing this thread as I was driving around yesterday, and meant to go look for it. I saw it when it was first posted, didn't have time to reply, and then forgot about it. But something jogged my brain yesterday and I was going to look for it - and promptly forgot about it last evening.

But Mike to the rescue - with just about all of what I would have posted.

The only things I can add aren't really singles, but alternate versions from the familiar:

- "Constant Rain" - on the mono version of EQUINOX, the mix is slightly different, with the repeat of a line and a different fade point. It's one of those that if you aren't looking for it, you won't notice it. But if you have a method of syncing up the stereo and mono together, you'll hear them diverge toward the end.

- "For Me" - in the same vein, on the mono EQUINOX, the ladies repeating of "for me" at the end fades out sooner, leaving Sergio and the band more time alone.

- "Like A Lover" - a slightly different mix exists on the A&M sampler album FAMILY PORTRAIT. Sergio's piano and John Pisano's guitar are in different positions in the stereo soundstage, and Sergio's piano riff going into the bridge is missing.

Harry

Is the single, "Aza Branca" by Brasil '66 the same recording as "Asa Branca" on the Brasil '77 "Pais Tropical" album? If so, why the title change from 'Aza' to 'Asa' and why is it a B '66 single but included on a B '77 album?

Charles

I've never heard of "Aza Branca" by Brasil '66. It's very likely that's just a typo, since Sergio's group was definitely named Brasil '77 by that time. The Stillness album was released with "Brasil '77" on the cover in some parts of the world, so it's not too far-fetched to think that a Brasil '77 single here and there might have been mislabeled by accident.

'Aza Branca' is an interesting track and one I've found a bit out of context w/ the rest of Pais Tropical... There are other musicians credited, and I believe this is the track they may have played on (Tom Scott's saxophone is an obvious 'add')... Almost as though the idea developed from an 'outside source' and brought to the group? Just really my thought; the song seems to be sort of commercial studio-craft, while retaining the original rhythmic vocal wizardry...

Little wonder that there would be a difference in the single version vs. LP, but then this group fueled the on-going "Mas"/"Mais"-"___ Que Nada" debate, so no surprise there should be a difference in how this song is titled, as well as a likely mistake of the transition from '66 to '77 (when they were a far-cry from the year of 1966, and still years away from it being 1977) to go along with it!

-- Dave

Typos are not uncommon, so Asa vs. Aza would be likely.

On an import Brazilian sampler LP, the B66 tracks are credited to B77.

I tend to take the labels with a grain of salt until I can find out musician and producer credits, and possibly a year it was recorded in.

Also one should take into account the vagaries of various languages' rules for spelling names, phrases and words. I don't really know, but it's entirely possible that "Aza" and "Asa" are both acceptable. Just like in English, where "colour" and "color" are exactly the same word, just different regional variations.

Harry

Charles H. said:
Until recent years, I didn't know there were so many singles by the Tijuana Brass and the Baja Marimba Band that were not included on any of their albums. What about Brasil '66? How many (and what) non-album tracks did they release?

Interesting CD compilation idea: A&M B-sides. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom