• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Brasil 77, The Waters of March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

I’ve been in a Sergio Mendes kind of mood lately, and I’ve finally started exploring outside the Brasil 66 box that I’ve been stuck in for quite sometime. One of my recent CD acquisitions was Brasil 77 “Vintage 74”, which I’m very pleased with. The first two tracks, “Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing” & This Masquerade”, are guaranteed pleasers; what really caught me by surprise was the third track, “The Waters of March”. I was already familiar with this song from the Jane Monheit CD “Come Dream With Me”. The lyrics and pace at which they must be belted out is incredible but deceiving. Jane Monheit does it with great ease, but is only responsible for herself. On the “Vintage 74” album, there are two girls singing perfectly in sync and also belting it out at ease… most impressive.

My “Vintage 74” CD is a Japanese pressing, with the details in the booklet in Japanese too. My question is: who are the two girls singing “The Waters of March”? BTW: For anyone who hasn’t heard this CD, I think it’s well worth seeking out.

The singers are Bonnie Bowden and Gracinha Leporace, who also performed on the LOVE MUSIC album and the later (and funkier) HOMECOOKING record.

"Waters of March" has never been a favorite of mine, but I agree that it must be very difficult to sing, even solo.

Well, I was introduced to it on Art Garfunkel's Breakaway album. When I saw it was written by Antonio Carlos Jobim, I was intrigued enough to seek out his version, too. I've long parted with the Jobim album it was on; probably one done for Warner Brothers. Good to see it had an impact that it would be covered by an American artist, as well as other Brasilian musicians, too.

Dave

Jobim, like Sergio, actually recorded Aguas several times. For those who may not know it, it's done again on the Elektra Brasil '88 album, in a less orchestrated version (I personally prefer the Vintage 74 version for the orchestration and slightly perkier reading). And of course Lani completely reimagines the song on Brasil Nativo.

I've told this before, but it's a favorite memory of mine: Bonnie went completely up on the lyric on a Tonight Show appearance with Gracinha. And of course this is not the song to forget the words to--once you're gone, you're gone for good. But she very sweetly smiled into the camera and kind of hummed the rest of the way, which was very funny at the time.

I like the version on Vintage '74 better, too. But, the Brasil '88 version is at least modernized, much like how you'd hear "Mas Que Nada" redone on Sergio's Arara album.

Dave

Mike Blakesley said:
The singers are Bonnie Bowden and Gracinha Leporace, who also performed on the LOVE MUSIC album and the later (and funkier) HOMECOOKING record.

"Waters of March" has never been a favorite of mine, but I agree that it must be very difficult to sing, even solo.

Indeed, Mike is correct. The singers of "The Waters Of March" on VINTAGE '74 are Bonnie Bowden & Gracinha Leporace. However, it was Bonnie Bowden who appeared on HOMECOOKING, along with Marietta Waters (billed as Marietta Araiza) and Lise Miller. Gracinha is not credited as having appeared on HOMECOOKING, though it's been rumored that she sang background on "Emorio."

I've always been fond of "Aquas de Marco" (Waters Of March) since first hearing Brasil '77 perform the song in concert. They used it as a 'teaser' for the upcoming VINTAGE '74 album.

Jon

Dave said:
I like the version on Vintage '74 better, too. But, the Brasil '88 version is at least modernized, much like how you'd hear "Mas Que Nada" redone on Sergio's Arara album.

Dave

I prefer the Vintage 74 version above the Brasil 88 version.
On the Vintage 74 version Antonio Carlos Jobim played acoustic guitar
(one of the last times he played acoustic guitar on a recording).

At that time Jobim was in Los Angeles to record the album Elis & Tom, with Brazils superstar Elis Regina. Their version of Waters of march, is a witty fine one.

Another interesting version is the second João Gilberto/Stan Getz album from 1975 on Columbia records with Brazilian singer Miucha, second wive of João Gilberto and sister of Brazilian composer/singer Chico Barque (he wrote ‘A Banda’ recorded by Herb Alpert & the Tijuanna Brass), and of course the original version on the MCA Jobim album from 1972 with lush arrangments by maestro Claus Ogerman.

In spite of the fact that I’m a tremendous fan of Lani Hall her version on Brasil Nativo does not much for me.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

Aqua do Brasil said:
In spite of the fact that I’m a tremendous fan of Lani Hall her version on Brasil Nativo does not much for me.

It gives me goosebumps EVERY time I hear it. Though most people seem to not care much for Lani's BRASIL NATIVO version, I think it's outstanding, and a great closer to the album.

As for the Sergio versions, I'll take the either one - they're both good.

Harry
NP: "Waters Of March", Sergio Mendes and BRASIL '88

brasil-boi said:
I liked the Brasil '77 version of Waters of March better....I remember being really disappointed with the Brasil '88 version.

Ah, Jim...I liked the Brasil '88 version of "The Waters Of March." I guess it's because I'm such a fan of the Marietta Waters/Carol Rogers combination. Otherwise, the original, on VINTAGE '74, is without a doubt a classic in its own right.

Jon

she does a fantastic english lyrics version on her greatest hits. i'd say next to elis' versions it's my favorite.

she's really got it down

Jon.....I like the Marietta Waters/Carol Rogers combination also....My favorite song on the Brasil '88 album is Harley, ....Bridges and Waters of March are my least favorite on the album.....It's just that I heard the Brasil '77 version first and I really liked how they did that one and Double Rainbow...they both just really did it for me.....Now the Brasil '88 Waters of March seems to be slowed down a tad bit and they seem to focus more on the "enunciation" of the lyrics and less on the"instrumentation"

Hey....let me take that back.....I like Bridges!! It used to be one of my favorites...and I think I played it to many times...I think I wore it out....The song played in my head after I sent my last message and I had to take that comment back because it is a very beautiful song and I love the way Carol Rogers sing it....

Well, comparing "old" and "new" "Waters", the Vintage '74 does have good instrumentation; the synthesizer is put to intelligent use there. And Art Garfunkel's version a year later, had a synth, too. The reading of the older is better, or livelier, but the newer one is slower, and a bit easier to grasp, just doesn't have the instrumentaion of the old.

As for "Bridges", I have a good vocal version that should have been a hit by Drummer-Turned-Vocalist, Grady Tate. Perry Botkin Jr. did a swell instrumental version on his Ports album. Sergio Mendes' version on Brasil '88 was a bit late in coming, but like the updated "Waters", was needed in its time and is still good. And I haven't heard Milton Nascimento's version for quite a few years.

Dave

...drinking the "Waters Of June", online... :winkgrin: :hurl: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom