Brazilian music in "It's Complicated" movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
If anybody's looking for a good movie to see, check out "It's Complicated" with Meryl Streep, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin. Not only is it a good adult comedy (for once), but it has music co-written by Heitor Periero. I don't know anything about him, but it has a definite Brazilian slant to it. Some of it sounds a bit like those instrumentals from the Sergio Mendes albums.

Heitor is a talented guitarist and composer who played on Lani's album BRASIL NATIVO, and I believe worked with Ivan Lins for many years.....

Mike Blakesley said:
If anybody's looking for a good movie to see, check out "It's Complicated" with Meryl Streep, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin. Not only is it a good adult comedy (for once), but it has music co-written by Heitor Periero. I don't know anything about him, but it has a definite Brazilian slant to it. Some of it sounds a bit like those instrumentals from the Sergio Mendes albums.

Dear Mike,

Official name: Heitor Teixera Pereira also kwown as Heitor T.P.
Worked several years in the Simply Red Group, worked also with Elton John and Rod Stewart.

Listen to the highly acclaimed but commercially unsuccessfully album AWA YIO from Ivan Lins. A USA Reprise 1991 release.

Heitor T.P. played on the album with keyboardist Larry Williams , Vinnie Colaiuta, Tony Levin , Bass and Hugh Masekela trumpet. Percussion by Fernando Pirilito, Armando Marcal and Lennie Castro. Background singers; Gracinha Leporace, Kevyn Lettau and Carol from the Sergio Mendes group at the time.

Heitor T.P. played also on the Eric Clapton penned song WONDERFUL TONIGHT with a Brazilian flavour on Michael Buble’s album CALL ME IRRESPONSIBLE.
A duet with Ivan Lins, strings arranged by Jorge Callandrelli, with Paulinho DaCosta, percussion, Vinnie Colaiuta on drums and David Foster and Alan Chang on piano and keyboards and David Bromberg on bass. Top flight musicians!

All the best Aqua do Brasil ( AKA Sjef Nix)

Thanks to knowing (from A&Mguy's post above) that Heitor plays guitar, I listened to the soundtrack more closely last night. Some really excellent music in there! The score is co-written by Hans Zimmer -- I assume he handled the background-music parts while Heitor took care of the foreground music, because there is a lot of guitar in a few spots.

It's kind of interesting because the movie and the characters have absolutely nothing to do with Brazil...but the music still fits the movie perfectly.

AWA YIO is one of the most incredible Lins albums, which is saying a lot IMHO. Anyone who loves Sergio will love AWA YIO.

You probably know but, if someone doesn't, another great movie featuring Brazilian music is Closer:

(From Google image search.)

http://www.legendarydevils.com/english/1190290-closer-soundtrack-2004-a.html

2nva58w.png

01. Damien Rice - The Blowers Daughter (4:48 )
02. Bebel Gilberto - Samba de Bencao (4:47)
03. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Soave sia il vento (Cosi fan tutte) (3:07)
04. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Bella vita militar (Cosi fan tutte) (1:37)
05. The Smiths - How Soon Is Now (6:41)
06. Bebel Gilberto - Tanto Tempo (2:58 )
07. Damien Rice - Cold Water (4:59)
08. Midival Punditz - Dark Escape (6:25)
09. Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up (5:42)
10. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Eccovi il medico (Cosi fan tutte) (2:59)
11. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Dammi un bacio, o mio tesoro (Cosi fan tutte) (3:13)
12. The Devlins - World Outside (4:22)
13. Bebel Gilberto - Mais feliz (4:17)
14. Gioacchino Rossini - La Cenerentola Ouverture (7:21)
15. Damien Rice - The Blowers Daughter (Acoustic) (4:45)

Another one is the comedy Heartbreakers:

(From Google image search.)

http://www.mp3fiesta.com/heartbreakers_album93987/

alb_93987_big.jpg

01 Only When I Dance
02 Agua de Beber - Astrud Gilberto
03 Polaroids - Shawn Colvin
04 Infinity - Bryon Atkinson, Inara George
05 Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars (Corcovado) - Sarah Vaughan
06 Baby, Now That I've Found You - Alison Krauss
07 Waters of March (Aguas de Mar - Susannah McCorkle
08 Wonderfully Strange - Eman
09 Trade Winds - Mason Williams
10 Best Is Yet to Come - Michael Swingerhead Andrew, Swingerhead
11 Heartbreakers (Suite 1) (Heartbreakers Theme) - Danny Elfman
12 Heartbreakers [Suite 2] - Danny Elfman

By the way, I really LOVED It's complicated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom