• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Burt Bacharach Reach Out Album Cover Title Color Change

Michael Hagerty

Contributor
Forgive me if we've already covered this somewhere---I used "search" and couldn't find it---but a friend, posting about Burt on her Facebook page, showed an original "Reach Out" album:

329396980_1292418341304640_3349731785757833110_n.jpg

And it occurred to me that for years, I've seen it with the title in blue:

731452029720.jpg

I'm guessing, with the removal of the A&M logo, that this was done for the CD reissue, but does anyone have the backstory?

Good catch. Aside from the original '60s LP, I only have a Japanese mini-LP CD (UICY-75212 from 2012 -- also contains the monaural mix) and it is an exact replica.

I own an original LP with black title, and a Rebound/A&M CD with blue title and no A&M logo as pictured.

SP-3102 was a reissue in 1981, when the ugly blue* title appeared (and the catalog number was poorly replaced with "3102" in the wrong typeface). Some digital reissues use the blue, while the Japanese reissues, often known for their accurate reproductions, usually use the black title (although there seems to be a 2014 Japan reissue with the blue title).

* What possesses someone to alter the original cover art anyways? 🤷‍♂️ When I first saw the Rebound, back when it was first released, I wondered why the title was colorized vs. remaining black. It made the whole package look cheap (as, well, Rebound was anyways).

Similar to how some clueless person printed the Jobim Wave album with the wrong color plates and the error has persisted except for, again, Japanese CD reissues.

SP-3102 was a reissue in 1981, when the ugly blue* title appeared (and the catalog number was poorly replaced with "3102" in the wrong typeface). Some digital reissues use the blue, while the Japanese reissues, often known for their accurate reproductions, usually use the black title (although there seems to be a 2014 Japan reissue with the blue title).

* What possesses someone to alter the original cover art anyways? 🤷‍♂️ When I first saw the Rebound, back when it was first released, I wondered why the title was colorized vs. remaining black. It made the whole package look cheap (as, well, Rebound was anyways).

Similar to how some clueless person printed the Jobim Wave album with the wrong color plates and the error has persisted except for, again, Japanese CD reissues.
I was not aware of Reach out being reissued in 1981 as SP 3102 it explains why there was not a CD 3102 as it seems the album went out of print before the CD era. And reappeared in the 90s on Rebound if I had found an A&M 3102 on CD I would've snagged it and ignored the Rebound version

I was not aware of Reach out being reissued in 1981 as SP 3102 it explains why there was not a CD 3102 as it seems the album went out of print before the CD era. And reappeared in the 90s on Rebound if I had found an A&M 3102 on CD I would've snagged it and ignored the Rebound version
I think the Rebound title was the first US release of an actual Bacharach album on CD. Prior to that, compilations, like the Classics series. I have no idea what Japan was doing at the time, but the whole "lounge" thing was getting some traction and Bacharach's albums got some mileage out of that.

I think the Rebound title was the first US release of an actual Bacharach album on CD. Prior to that, compilations, like the Classics series. I have no idea what Japan was doing at the time, but the whole "lounge" thing was getting some traction and Bacharach's albums got some mileage out of that.
I remember the lounge thing my first year in radio our radio station was getting tons of CD reissues of Martin Denny early albums and others being that I was a lifelong fan of those things it was perfect timing and I think Burt's appearance in the Austin Powers movies at that time further boosted his popularity resulting in his Elvis Costello collaboration along with his "One Amazing Night" concert which I was fortunate to videotape from one of our PBS stations during a pledge drive ( breaks edited out during the process of course) still a joy to watch and hear

I think I might have that on videotape, or maybe I had a DVD of it at some point. Been so long that I don't remember.

Back
Top Bottom