• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"CA Girls" with Herb & Merry-Go-Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Finding a traded in copy of the Rev-Ola label Merry-Go-Round compilation disc, LISTEN LISTEN: THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION today was a pleasant surprise.

The 29-track CD includes all of the band's 1967 self-titled album (SP 4132) plus Emitt Rhodes' AMERICAN DREAM (SP 4254), along with biographical notes and reproductions of the original LP covers (both versions of 4254) and non-album singles.

The greatest surprise came at the end of the last track, the mono version of "Time Will Show the Wiser." This song ends after 2:30, followed five seconds later by the band's cover of "California Girls." I was about to eject the thing from the car player when the bonus tune started.

From what I've read thus far, the booklet doesn't mention "California Girls" inclusion in the last track, which has a total time of 5:52. The notes mention Herb and MGR recording the tune in March of 1968:

"In March of 1968 the group headed into Columbia Studios and recorded an ambitious and faithful cover of the Beach Boys' classic 'California Girls.' The recording, which features overdubs cut at Gold Star Studios by many 'Wrecking Crew' studio musicians, prominently showcases the unmistakable trumpet of Herb Alpert. The recording was never commercially released but was included in a 1968 Herb & TJB television special 'The Beat of the Brass.' The color program, which ends with an over-the-top music video for Herb's then-current single, 'This Guy's in Love With You,' doesn't include any of the MGR members, although they did get mentioned in the closing credits."

Any collector who's been sitting on the fence about picking up this reissue should definitely go ahead. Rev-Ola's done a fine job, as usual.

JB

Nice find Jim - I have yet to see a Cherry Red/ Revola release. Typical faulty liner notes by a writer who really doesn't know the details.

Firstly, as most know, This Guy's In Love With You only became a single after the TV special aired and A&M's phone rang off the hook requesting a single release of the tune. And secondly as we all know, there were no music videos in 1968, although thanks to YouTube and others, clips from TV shows have now become music videos.

-- :!:

Yeah, sure enough after seeing this a lot'ta times at one of our Record Trade Shows someone kind'a beat me to it... It was a new copy, too...

Nice to get a "complete works" of Rhodes +/- Merry•Go•Round...

Like many other "historic recordings" such as this, I'm sure Herb's "obligatto"/"California Girls" bit is yet another rewarding bonus...

I am gonna have to seek this out...!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom