Café Carlyle Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
(continued) at the dude, because he looked familiar, and sure enough, it was none other than Mike Shapiro, who is really one heck of a nice guy! He was talking to the lady because she was/is a friend of his wife, He told me that Herb, Lani and the rest of the group are in the planning stages of their new CD. He also told me how the group got together, and some of his influences. While Mike and his wife's friend and I were talking, I saw another familiar face out of the corner of my eye. It was none other than our good friend Steve Sidoruk! I wanted to go say hello, but he was at the door getting a table with his company.so i decided to wait til after the show to say hello.

Time went by pretty fast, then about a quarter to nine, Herb came from around the corner of the bar, waiting to be announced. finally, he made his way to the bandstand, then went into "Beasame Mucho".After he got into a rap about the song, then Lani made her way to the bandstand, then she and Herb did their version of "Fever".The band and Herb did a full length version of "Rise", then did "Push and Pull" from the FANDANGO cd, then they segued into a medley of Tijuana Brass hits. I hate to sound like a music critic, but here goes: while the playing and singing was fantastic, the group needs to develop their repetoire a bit. Why am I saying this? Because it sounds like the set that they played when they were at The Nokia Theater when I saw them nearly three years ago! Some new songs need to be added, as well as older, obscure material. I personally would like to hear "LoveSong" from Lani's SUNDOWN LADY album, and "The Sea Is My Soil" among others. But these are just minor greviances.The playing, singing, the whole atmosphere was just great.

Also, twas great meeting you ,Steve! (I was the black guy who greeted you after the show, whilst you were chatting with Bill Cantos!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom