• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carnival Medley from IN CONCERT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
One of the delights in being part of this Forum is the discovery of previously unknown treasures. Back before I found this place, I had no idea that there were any live recordings of Sergio Mendes' various groups released, let alone at least THREE of them.

The middle of those three, known as IN CONCERT, with the group's name migrated to Brasil '77, contains a long medley that concludes side one of the LP called "Carnival Medley."

Though I've listened to it fairly often over the last few years since finally acquiring it, I've always been a bit puzzled by the way the medley's broken out in the track listing.

It's credited on the back cover and label as:

4. CARNIVAL MEDLEY
(a). JOGO DE RODA (Edu Lobo/Ruy Guerra)
(b). CANTO DE UBIRANTAN (Original arranged by Sergio Mendes)
(c). AFTER SUNRISE (S.Neto/Oscar C. Neves)

...and it's the order that's confused me all this time.

If you listen to this 11:26 opus, it starts with "Jogo de Roda (Circle Game)", just like side two of PRIMAL ROOTS, then it goes into a dreamy piano solo by Sergio, which until now, I didn't realize was in fact his take on "After Sunrise." Following the piano solo, things pick back up again as they go into "Canto de Ubirantan" with Laudir Soares handling the vocals just like he does on PRIMAL ROOTS. Then the song breaks down as Sergio goes into his explanation about the "sexy" sounds of the cuica, followed by a reprise of "Jogo de Roda".

I was always confused by wanting to hear the "After Sunrise" portion following "Canto de Ubirantan", but couldn't find it. It wasn't until today that I found the melody in Sergio's unique take of the song in his piano solo.

I wonder why they listed it in this order. My copy is the orange-looking cover with the dancing couple inside the circle, and the "bug's-eye view" of Sergio playing on the back (A&M UK pressing AMLS 64378). is it listed this way on the other releases?

Harry
NP: SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL '77 IN CONCERT

I have both versions and yes, it is listed this way. I've often wondered about the "Sunrise" closing as well. Could be that the original recording did include "Sunrise" -- which, due to time restrictions, could have been edited out in the final mastering process -- but was never changed on the liner notes.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom