• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

CARPENTER/BETTIS: ALBUM CUTS

WHICH CARPENTER/BETTIS ALBUM CUT IS YOUR FAVORITE?

• 1.) Invocation 1:00 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2.) Your Wonderful Parade 2:57 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 3.) Someday 5:13 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • 4.) Turn Away 3:09 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 5.) What’s The Use 2:43 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 6.) All I Can Do 1:42 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • 7.) Eve 2:51 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • 8.) Benediction :40 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 9.) Maybe It's You 3:09 (Carpenter/Bettis/Wilde)

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 10.) Crescent Noon 4:09 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 11.) Mr. Guder 3:17 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 12.) Another Song 4:22 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • 13.) Saturday 1:20 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 14.) Druscilla Penny 2:18 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 15.) One Love 3:23 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • 16.) Crystal Lullaby 3:58 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • 17.) Aurora 1:33 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 18.) (I'm Caught Between) Goodbye And I Love You 4:04 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • 19.) Eventide 1:32 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 20.) Sandy 3:38 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 21.) I Have You 3:25 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 22.) Because We Are In Love (The Wedding Song) 5:00 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 23.) You're Enough 3:46 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 24.) At The End Of A Song 3:42 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 25.) Look To Your Dreams 4:28 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
highlights for me are Turn Away, Crescent Noon, & Look to your Dreams. However I voted for Crystal Lullaby. The lyrics are just as whimsical as the melody, and Karen & Richards trade-off vocals are a real treat, not often heard.

How in the world can I choose one song out of 25? :shake: :laugh:
There are really a couple that are just impossible to put to the top as they keep fighting for the #1 spot.
These would be:
(I'm Caught Between) Goodbye And I Love You
At The End Of A Song
Look To Your Dreams
Aurora/Eventide (grouped together as 1 track, so cool hearing them back to back)
Another Song

I'm going to pick the track that I always repeat about 4 or 5 times when I hear it because I can never get enough of Karen's vocal and that would be: (I'm Caught Between) Goodbye And I Love You. I have said it before but there is something special/different about the pressing of the Horizon LP (at least the one I got anyway) because this track just jumps out at me like no other. I just love how Karen uses her lower vocals, gets me every time. When she starts off with I have something to tell you, I'm like all ears....tell me now Karen you have my attention!!! :love:...then that vocal fry on (easy)...I'm in love!! :love:

SO difficult!
One love for me. Always loved it from first listen. Romantic, heartfelt, long phrases with no breaths ( awesome ).
My top three were One Love, Sandy, and Maybe It's You...

That whole second verse of Sandy is sublime... Your eyes can see clearer than mine....... wowowow.... but One Love won. It's beautiful from start to finish... and was a favorite the moment I heard it back in 1971....

Goodbye and I Love You. This song tailored note for note catering to Karen's instrument. It showcases her uncanny ability to wrap her vocals around a lyric. K&R's blended harmonies sophisticated, aching and desperate. Oyvay! Don't know how to spell oyvay but sounds appropo anywho.
Jeff

"One Love". The tan album was their first that I ever purchased, shortly after it won the Grammy. It was my favorite non-single track from that album over 40 years ago and still remains one of my top favorites today. It just flows....lilting vocals, perfectly arranged for Karen's lower register, the overdubs, the lyrics...."few are the choices we are given...". I've played it so often over the years that my wife thought it was one of their singles.

Goodbye and I Love You. This song tailored note for note catering to Karen's instrument. It showcases her uncanny ability to wrap her vocals around a lyric. K&R's blended harmonies sophisticated, aching and desperate. Oyvay! Don't know how to spell oyvay but sounds appropo anywho.
Jeff
Yup - that one is a good one.... "is like the devil and the deep blue sea.... " Brilliant.

This is the remix, caused a bit of a debate on this forum a while back, so if you haven't heard it, now's your chance.
I can't say I could tell much of a difference to this version... Possibly a higher base line in the instrumental portion of the song, and was it a little more strings on the last verse?
Plus - in a nutshell - what were the two sides of the debate? Color me curious.... :)

That would be this thread wherein your miserly moderator refused a request from a relative newcomer to simply hand over the "Another Song (remix)". Not so much debate as controversy regarding my refusal to grant that request.

As I posted in that thread, the request was now "out there" and sooner or later, someone would grant it. If memory serves, one of our members did indeed put the remix up on YouTube for all to hear.

Harry

That would be this thread wherein your miserly moderator refused a request from a relative newcomer to simply hand over the "Another Song (remix)". Not so much debate as controversy regarding my refusal to grant that request.

As I posted in that thread, the request was now "out there" and sooner or later, someone would grant it. If memory serves, one of our members did indeed put the remix up on YouTube for all to hear.

Harry

Yes this what I was referring to, I do understand that for some the request was not well received, but I was very pleased when the remix was shared on this forum.

There's something sublime with AURORA & EVENTIDE. Opening album with piano intro and BAM in your face that vocal. Never before had Karen's presence, maturity, depth or expression been revealed. 24 tracks? Studio mic? Just full, developed, intoxicating. Absolutely heady experience to this day. Then to close...piano...OMG here it comes and BAM all over again leaving me depleted, stunned, staring in disbelief, the wind knocked out a me. So cool to open and close. Hint of the Song For You reprise, Now &Then's reprise and then this cleverly conceived masterpiece...a masterwork.
The 'and all my sadness gone charade, begins to fade' grabbed me by the cojones and has never let go. Then and then 'the velvet rose of evening grows' whudamI s'posed to do KC? Those low register notes are infused with heart attack material. A succulent honey venom leading me to a pleasurable expiration. OMG girl, (KAREN...not you) it's a wonder I've successfully teetered to upper umm outer middle age with you on the jukebox. The orchestration clouding my thoughts even now could send me swooning into traffic. But, like beauty...it's a blessing and a curse. This I've long last accepted as fact. What's a man child to do?

Wow...
Loving those same phrases...
Some beautiful lyrics - interpreted brilliantly...
I would never be able to put it so eloquently - but for me - it's as if these songs (Aurora and Eventide), bookended the entire Carpenters catalog... And when I hear that final line - complete with that final piano chord - well... It just leaves me wistfully longing for more...

And sad that 'more' would simply never come.

Jeff:
I had the very same experience listening to 'Aurora' on my General Electric avacado plastic stereo set upon first listening in June, 1975 (I was about to turn 13). The 'begins to fade' line almost killed me....in a good way. I remember thinking, 'Ahhhh, so worth the wait' with a HUGE smile on my face.

It took me this long to be sure, and I hate to go with the winning option, but it is Another Song. . .for all the reasons said before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom