Carpenter concert in Dallas texas

kelowe

The Carpenters played on Friday April 8,1973 at SMU Moody Coliseum. Opening act was the comedy duo Skiles and Henderson. I was there bought the program and have a copy of the ad from the newspaper. I think it was in support of the Now & Then album because I remember the Rock n Roll DJ bit.

I saw them on 4/21/73 in Kansas City, Mo. It was just 2 weeks after your show. They did perform 'Sing' with a local choir, and that was the latest single (peaked at #3 that very week). 'Now and Then' was released just a couple of weeks later. They did the oldies medley at my show, as well.

Wow. What a treat for everyone that has seen the Oldies act live! Some have sensed that the recording of the Oldies (on the 2 side of Now and Then) was a grab at an album fill. My thoughts are that it was not a fill at all, but rather was a brilliant move to theme the new album with touring and showcase one of their biggest hits.

Carpenters introduced some Oldies in a few of the 1972 summer shows months before Now and Then (it is well known Karen and Richard both loved the oldies). It seems like performing some of the oldies came first while touring the summertime shows in 1972 and then in early 1973 came Yesterday Once More. The album came third.

The big difference in the 1973 live shows is the Oldies are now a produced ‘act’ to mirror the recorded album. Also, 1973 marks the beginning of the Cubby O’Brien and double drumming era. At least I think so. I don’t remember Karen doing any true double drumming with Jim Sgueglia as he was mostly percussion when she was drumming in the setlist.

Either way, with Cubby now on deck (O’Brien is a strong live performer and Karen did all drumming on this album except for Jambalaya), this freed up K&R to focus on putting together a class act show for concert goers. Even Richard participated! The sweetest surprise has to have been the brilliant Yesterday Once More to bridge the whole thing together.

Some have sensed that the recording of the Oldies (on the 2 side of Now and Then) was a grab at an album fill. My thoughts are that it was not a fill at all, but rather was a brilliant move to theme the new album with touring and showcase one of their biggest hits.

It served both purposes - being on the road so much, they didn’t have time to write half an album’s worth of new material and the oldies theme served perfectly as a showcase for its jewel in the crown ‘Yesterday Once More’.

They did the oldies routine in every show I saw from 1973-77. (5) The songs changed a bit, as did the comedy within it. Karen with giant falsies, the guys all wanting a hug, the Harley ridden on stage by Richard, etc. Skiles&Henderdon became part of the segment singe they were the opening act. Leader of the Pack, Sha-boom, and Daddy’s Home were the songs I remember that they added. The children’s choir for Sing, was only on the ‘73 tour here. I think Tony Peluso was on crutches on that tour too. I believe he broke his leg? My favorite part of the concert was the Help/Mr. Guder medley with Karen & Cubby drumming in perfect synch together.

The concert that I saw at Valley Forge Music Fair in 73 when NOW & THEN was new had the first oldies medley that I saw. It's the exact same one - and the exact same show - as the LIVE IN JAPAN double LP/CD.

The children’s choir for Sing, was only on the ‘73 tour here. I think Tony Peluso was on crutches on that tour too. I believe he broke his leg?
I believe that Tony broke his leg from a motorcycle accident towards the end of 1975 (newsletter #46). You may be thinking of one of the later shows you saw unless he broke it twice. I recall Richard had a motorcycle accident (or dirt bike?) at the end of January 1973 and broke his leg and wrist. That may have been have been closer to the tour you saw in '73.
My favorite part of the concert was the Help/Mr. Guder medley with Karen & Cubby drumming in perfect synch together.
They really did drum well together :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I believe that Tony broke his leg from a motorcycle accident towards the end of 1975 (newsletter #46). You may be thinking of one of the later shows you saw unless he broke it twice.

That ties in with this grainy photo of him having hobbled to the front of the stage for his bow at the end of one of their concerts in Osaka, Japan, March 24-26, 1976.

03C159C8-1702-453E-9CE7-40D7084D367C.jpeg

I saw the oldies medley when the Carpenters performed in Terre Haute, Indiana, on Oct. 28, 1972.

We had lived in Terre Haute for three years while my father attended Indiana State University to get his master's degree and doctorate in counseling. Then we moved to a small community college town where he taught, a little over an hour's drive away. Since I kept up with all things Carpenters, I found out about this concert and asked my mother if we could go. "No, we can't afford it," she replied. Needless to say, I was completely crestfallen.

And yet I didn't catch on when we drove to Terre Haute the day of the concert. As I recall, my father had some followup work to do to finish his dissertation. Then we went out for dinner at our favorite Italian restaurant. Still, I was glum. I remember thinking, "I can't believe we're in the same city, but we can't go to the concert!"

Then my father drove us to the ISU campus, and still I didn't catch on until we drove past the sign announcing that the Carpenters were performing that night. Dad parked in the lot nearby. I looked around and asked, "Are we getting out?" Then my parents, older sister and I all got out and started walking toward the auditorium. That's when it finally dawned on me that my family had managed to keep this huge secret, and I went from feeling depressed to over the moon. Turns out it was an early birthday present for me, and probably my best one ever!

I remember being disappointed in the audience response: mostly polite applause. However, that changed when they performed the oldies medley. The oldies medley was fun and had more energy than their more romantic songs, and so it engaged the audience. Nostalgia may have factored into it, too. Most of the adults in the audience would have had some of the same memories of these songs that Karen and Richard did.

Last edited:
That ties in with this grainy photo of him having hobbled to the front of the stage for his bow at the end of one of their concerts in Osaka, Japan, March 24-26, 1976.

03C159C8-1702-453E-9CE7-40D7084D367C.jpeg
Richard still had his cast on his hand/wrist at the show I attended, which makes sense because it was only 3 months after his motorcycle accident.

This little audio snippet comes from a concert at Valley Forge Music Fair in 1973. Rather than my trying to explain where Tony Peluso was, I'll let Richard tell you!

Great little clip. That’s about the most relaxed I’ve ever heard Richard talk on stage.

Valley Forge Music Fair was a theater-in-the-round, and as such, I think the performers in general felt more relaxed as it may have seemed more like a living room than an auditorium.

The central stage rotated so everyone got a chance to see the show head-on, as well as from the rear!

Tony Peluso's DJ shtick was actually pre-recorded for this part of the tour.

So great to hear the stories of all of you that saw Karen & Richard live back then 🤩

Was hoping to find reviews of those gigs, but I could only find the Dallas show mentioned in this article:

img

Greg

This little audio snippet comes from a concert at Valley Forge Music Fair in 1973. Rather than my trying to explain where Tony Peluso was, I'll let Richard tell you!

That has to be the best audio quality of this clip that I have heard, thanks Harry! 😃

I have a feeling that it's a faint giggle by Karen that caused Richard to interrupt his speech and ask about that good time 😁
That last bit always cracks me up, but very admirable how Karen contains herself just before she starts to sing 👌

That has to be the best audio quality of this clip that I have heard, thanks Harry! 😃

I have a feeling that it's a faint giggle by Karen that caused Richard to interrupt his speech and ask about that good time 😁
That last bit always cracks me up, but very admirable how Karen contains herself just before she starts to sing 👌
i am thrilled to read this article !!

kay hunter was the cherished pastor of the community church of religious science, later to become the cathederal of light.

Kay's description of the sound check process is unintentionally hilarious...LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! Like...she knows nothing about what happens during that process but she's trying to summarize it in vain. Fun article...though not likely for the intended reasons...

Ed

Tony Peluso's DJ shtick was actually pre-recorded for this part of the tour.

Harry I just picked up on this comment. Was Tony at the microphone miming the part or was it just played over the sound system with him not there? Didn't know they had ever done that. I wonder why.

There was an actual reel tape recorder on stage that one of the band turned on when the DJ was needed.

There was an actual reel tape recorder on stage that one of the band turned on when the DJ was needed.

Thanks Harry - so similar to what they had on the 1976 tour. I've always wondered - why make it so obvious to the audience?

Was also used for audience participation playback for "Sing" and I think Richard felt it added a high tech visual effect for their stage set up at the time. Ken and Mitzie Welch may have had some input when they were hired to revamp the Carpenters concert performances.

Back
Top Bottom