• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters Archives Vol 1 book

Carl

I found this book on Amazon U.K. last night. Seems to be nearly all the fan club newsletters and other bits and pieces. I’ve ordered it but here’s a link for anyone interested

Carpenters Archives Amazon.co.uk

I found this book on Amazon U.K. last night. Seems to be nearly all the fan club newsletters and other bits and pieces. I’ve ordered it but here’s a link for anyone interested

Carpenters Archives Amazon.co.uk

Why would you include a “nearly complete” set of newsletters? If you’re going to include them, include them all.

I hope it's worthwhile. There are so many people out there just trying to capitalize on the Carpenters' name, doing self-publishing of stuff we already know, selling bootleg CDs and DVDs, etc. It's hard to know what's legit anymore.

Very good point Harry. There are loads of bootleg cds of Carpenters out there like message in a bottle which is the lost recordings of Karen’s solo album. And a few bad copies of their BBC 1971 concert

Carl said it was due to arrive over a week ago, but hasn't given us any descriptions.

Sorry for late reply. I’ve attached some photos. Only three newsletters are missing. The book has various articles as well as the 1975 tour book and pictures of items available from the fan club at the time

Attachments

• F8EBB59A-5355-46C4-BC4E-7EBA8508E578.jpeg
    F8EBB59A-5355-46C4-BC4E-7EBA8508E578.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 67C2CD74-2DD0-4737-A7F4-651F6463EC97.jpeg
    67C2CD74-2DD0-4737-A7F4-651F6463EC97.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 2
  • FDAA8F0F-BC9E-4518-A2C6-658852DD853F.jpeg
    FDAA8F0F-BC9E-4518-A2C6-658852DD853F.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 1
Sorry for late reply. I’ve attached some photos. Only three newsletters are missing. The book has various articles as well as the 1975 tour book and pictures of items available from the fan club at the time

Looking at the scans you kindly posted, I would be very annoyed if I’d paid for that publication. The second scan looks like a child was let loose with their drawing book.

Looking at the scans you kindly posted, I would be very annoyed if I’d paid for that publication. The second scan looks like a child was let loose with their drawing book.
It's probably the actual merchandise catalog page that the fan club created back in the day. I remember getting "catalogs" from the club that looked a lot like that. It's what they did -- low budget production but very friendly, responsive, etc. (Not saying that to endorse the book -- haven't seen it or know anything more about it than is covered in this thread.)

Yes, Toolman is correct. It's a genuine order sheet for fan club merchandise. I think I might have than one somewhere!

Just had a look at the compiler's profile online, and he seems to do this for a number of bands/organisations. According to Amazon, there are archive books for KRLA (a radio station I think), Linda Ronstadt, The Monkees and The Beach Boys. In fact, the Beach Boys have 8 volumes!

It’s not a bad book. It may not have all the newsletters but for me who wasn’t born in the carpenters heyday it’s a great opportunity to read the fan club newsletters. And who knows maybe a volume 2 will be released?..

I just got this book today. It's literally scans of fan club newsletter pages. I wasn't a fan club member back then. Some scans posted are of the merchandise list.
There are also newspaper clipping stories and pages from a tour programme. Quality of pages really varies. I guess it depends on individual eye sight.
It's printed by Amazon in the UK.. Happy I got it as there is lots to read from back in the day for those who never got a newsletter.
It's magazine size roughly and about 180 pages at a guess.

I was THRILLED beyond belief to get any mail from there....and Ev would send me a sheet of all that they had left, posters, 8X10s, etc....I bought 3 Made In America sun visors...I still have 2 left. I lived in Swift Current, Sk, Canada so it was a big deal for me back in 1989-1990-1992, especially when Ev would take the time to answer my many questions...I would send her 30 or 50 or more questions and she would send it back to me, maybe answering 10 or 15 of the questions.....I would be soooo delighted. To show how much a fan I was, I did a Presentation not once but TWICE of them, one in English class where I had their music playing in the background and Albums, singles on the chalkboard holder...and another time when the Grammys were on....and I had everyone answer a survey and had to include some Carpenters trivia in there as well.....

I was THRILLED beyond belief to get any mail from there....and Ev would send me a sheet of all that they had left, posters, 8X10s, etc....I bought 3 Made In America sun visors...I still have 2 left. I lived in Swift Current, Sk, Canada so it was a big deal for me back in 1989-1990-1992, especially when Ev would take the time to answer my many questions...I would send her 30 or 50 or more questions and she would send it back to me, maybe answering 10 or 15 of the questions.....I would be soooo delighted. To show how much a fan I was, I did a Presentation not once but TWICE of them, one in English class where I had their music playing in the background and Albums, singles on the chalkboard holder...and another time when the Grammys were on....and I had everyone answer a survey and had to include some Carpenters trivia in there as well.....
I remember when they shut down and sent out the last newsletter and flyer with remaining items. And “sold out” was always written over things they were out of. I ordered a couple items and recall that there was magically some bumper stickers and an MIA visor in the package, a nice touch.

Back
Top Bottom