• Christmas Waltz

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Sleigh Ride

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • It's Christmas Time/Sleep Well, Little Children

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town (the short one)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)

• Silent Night

• First Snowfall/Let It Snow

• Carol Of The Bells

• Merry Christmas Darling

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas

• Christ Is Born

• Winter Wonderland/Silver Bells/White Christmas

• Ave Maria

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
This week our seasonal Album Of The Week will be:

Carpenters
CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT

A&M SP-4726

sp4726.jpg

Issued on CD in Germany as 394 726-2
Album remix on disc one of Carpenters Christmas Collection 31454 0603 2 and included in the 35th Aniiversary Japanese Box set.
Portions issued as the Special Edition CD, CD 3210 DIDX 186, and on various box sets.

Conceived and Produced by Richard Carpenter, Associate Producer Karen Carpenter, Arranged and Orchestrated by Peter Knight, Billy May, and Richard Carpenter

Track listing:

O Come, O Come Immanuel
Overture: Deck The Halls, I Saw Three Ships, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Away In A Manger, What Child Is This, Carol Of The Bells, O Come All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles)
Christmas Waltz
Sleigh Ride
It's Christmas Time/Sleep Well, Little Children
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)
Silent Night
Jingle Bells
First Snowfall/Let It Snow
Carol Of The Bells
Merry Christmas Darling
I'll Be Home For Christmas
Christ Is Born
Winter Wonderland/Silver Bells/White Christmas
Ave Maria

Keyboards: Pete Jolly and Richard Carpenter - Bass: Joe Osborn - Drums: Ron Tutt and Cubby O'Brien - Guitars: Bob Bain, Tony Peluso and Tommy Tedesco - Harp: Gayle Levant and Dorothy Remsen - Oboe: Earle Dumler and John Ellis - Tenor Sax: Bob Messenger - Vocals: The Tom Bahler Chorale and Karen & Richard Carpenter - Engineered by Ray Gerhardt, Roger Young and Dave Iveland - Mastering Engineer: Bernie Grundman - "Merry Christmas Darling" Produced by: Jack Daugherty - Special thanks to Ed Sulzer - Personal Management: Jerry Weintraub/Management Three - Art Direction and Design: Tim Bryant/Gribbitt - Illustration: Robert Tanenbaum

That's a tough question, Harry. This album is so perfect overall. Truly the greatest Christmas album ever released.

That said, I had to vote for "Christmas Waltz" as my favorite. For decades now that song has been the traditional kick-off to the Christmas music season for me. Even though I've heard the song 10,000 times, the words "Frosted windowpanes..." still give me chills.

Of course, "Merry Christmas, Darling" is the true classic of the album, but I prefer the original single version to the remade album version.

David

My vote goes to Merry Christmas Darling. The definitive version for me is the original single version although not included on this album I still love each version.

I agree with David that it is nearly impossible to have only 1 favorite from this album. There is not one Christmas album in the world that in my opinion will ever top this one. It's with good reason that Richard has indicated this was really Karen's album.

A close 2nd is Ave Maria (german version w/out choir) Just perfection.

For me, it's always been Sleep Well Little Children. This is not your usual Christmas song. For years after the album release, I tried so hard to find the music for piano. FINALLY, the book for the whole album was published a few years ago. There is something so very touching about this song. Perhaps, it's because Karen so loved kids and never had the opportunity to have some of her own. Every time I hear it, it touches my soul somehow.

Marilyn

"Christmas Waltz" officially begins the season in our house- and it is my favorite from this album.
(On "Old Fashioned Christmas"- "What are You Going New Year's Eve?" reigns at top.)

You know, when I first heard and bought this album (on LP so many years, ago), I said to myself that it can be an excellent tv special soundtrack. Little did I knew that they did made a Christmas special (I was living in Puerto Rico for a short while at the time, so I never seen it).

No doubt that this is one of the greatest Christmas album ever made (probably within the top 5), but I actually liked the later album, better (but that's another topic, and I will explain why when the time comes).

Anyway, back the the original question: I always love "Merry Christmas Darling", but "The Christmas Waltz" edges it out for me.

Why? Because every time I hear it, it makes me feel all giddy like a child, again. :bigsanta:

Danny

I'm sentimental for Merry Christmas Darling but Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas is what I consider to be one of Karen's finest readings. The radio here in Portland is alive and well with CarpenterS as well as the cable tv holiday channel. So nice to hear them frequently. Just like before, it's yesterday once more.

Jeff

With Christmas Portrait being my favorite Carpenters release, I had a rough time choosing only one. Have Yourself.. is a great torch song that no other singer could ever come close to KC's incredibly smooth reading and KC's understated, heart-felt "Silent Night" and "Ave Maria" are always amazing. But the true toss up for me was "Merry Christmas Darling" and "I'll Be Home..." Of the two KC captures my heavy heart of the loved ones I've lost in my life on "I'll Be Home" with dead-on pefection, pitch and tone. I cannot, to this day, get through the entire song with out sheading tears for those I miss the most during this time of year.
No other singer/song can do that to me.
Thank you Karen.

I agree that for Carpenters fans the world over, trying to choose just one of these tracks as a favorite is a bit like choosing a favorite child of yours. They're all special in some way and taken as a whole album, this bunch of tracks combine to make a whole that's more than the sum of its parts.

I have yet to choose, but am leaning away from the obvious "Merry Christmas Darling", just because I prefer the single mix better.

Harry

I agree the spot where Karen comes in on "Christmas Waltz" is a definite highlight. That song was not as well known when this album came out so it was great to see it put into such a prominent position.

Definitely tough to choose one favorite song. This is one of those records where it's best played as an album. They are playing a lot of cuts from it on the XM Christmas channels and whenever one ends, I always expect to hear the next song off the album!

There's only one second of this album I don't like. The part in Sleigh Ride where Karen sings "....sleigh ride together with yooooou" and doesn't use any vibrato on the last word. That just grates me every time. I have always wondered why they chose to do it that way. But then the song moves on and I'm fine. :thumbsup:

thestitch said:
For me, it's always been Sleep Well Little Children. This is not your usual Christmas song. For years after the album release, I tried so hard to find the music for piano. FINALLY, the book for the whole album was published a few years ago. There is something so very touching about this song. Perhaps, it's because Karen so loved kids and never had the opportunity to have some of her own. Every time I hear it, it touches my soul somehow.
Marilyn, I have two Christmas Portrait piano books. The older one was issued by Columbia Pictures Publications in 1985, and the "special edition" by Hal Leonard a few years ago. Neither book contains Sleep Well Little Children, due to "copyright restrictions". Does your book have this song? (perhaps it's only missing in the Canadian editions) I've been trying to locate the piano music for years, as it's the only one on the Portrait albums that I don't have.

Murray said:
I have two Christmas Portrait piano books. The older one was issued by Columbia Pictures Publications in 1985, and the "special edition" by Hal Leonard a few years ago. Neither book contains Sleep Well Little Children, due to "copyright restrictions". Does your book have this song? (perhaps it's only missing in the Canadian editions) I've been trying to locate the piano music for years, as it's the only one on the Portrait albums that I don't have.

Hi Murray, I also have the CPP from 1985, your right inside the front cover it says that due to copyright restrictions the copyrights for Sleep Well Little Children and White Christmas will not appear within this publication. So mine is missing it too. It's funny cause they adjusted the cover and lyrics to completely delete those titles, I guess even the title of the songs in words they can't re-print.

I picked "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)" as it's the one I usually always hear by The Carpenters 'round Christmas Time... "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" is my second-pick and I'm sure I've heard it played 'round the Holiday Season, too...

Dave

Oooooh, my bad!!! Apologies to Murray and Chris! I was confused on the song. It was "Little Altar Boy"! I could have sworn I had the other one, too, and looked through my Christmas music books and it's not there! Just chalk it up to my being the old f___t I am!! :oops:

Marilyn

So did the copyright problem make lyrics for "Christmas Portrait"written 'you might already know the words'!!?

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
My vote goes to Merry Christmas Darling. The definitive version for me is the original single version although not included on this album I still love each version.

I agree with David that it is nearly impossible to have only 1 favorite from this album. There is not one Christmas album in the world that in my opinion will ever top this one. It's with good reason that Richard has indicated this was really Karen's album.

A close 2nd is Ave Maria (german version w/out choir) Just perfection.
I am totally with Chris' first post.

Last time I posted here, I was hearing American Top 10. At the end of the hour Casey Kasem played "Merry Christmas Darling" and mentioned '78 hit as always. It was on WLZW.
A few hours ago I tuned in the same program but on WQPV. This was the repeat of last week. So I heard "Merry Christmas Darling" again!

Sakura

My vote goes for Merry Christmas, Darling -Christmas Portrait version 1978. I love the earlier version too, but for me I especially love Karen's vocal on the 1978 mix.

Very tough question, as both albums are just awesome. I would go with "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas", followed by "Christ Is Born".
My favorite Christmas recording, however, is the SINGLE version of "Merry Christmas Darling" from 1970....with the husky, very young Karen belting out the words like only Karen could.
The first time I heard "Merry Christmas Darling" was in 1973 (at age 11). Somebody in my class told me they had a Christmas song, and I didn't believe him (as I'd already accumulated all the singles and albums by that time). So I called the coolest Kansas City Top 40 station at the time, and asked if they had one. The DJ answered the phone, and said he would play it within the hour. I grabbed my tape recorder, and caught the whole song....in shock that I didn't know about it, and was blown away at first listen. I was home for a snow day....and it was snowing like crazy outside as I listened to it.
My favorite song on the second album is "Do You Hear What I Hear?" Every year, that's the one track I can't wait to play. When Karen comes in, it's pretty damned magical. She was born to sing that tune, and is singing in her 'basement' voice, which is still unmatched to this day.

I never tire of this masterpiece - I have 3 copies, 1 at work, 1 in the car and 1 at home. The choices, sequence, how they 'blend', etc. makes for quite a wonderful and magical listen - even 30 years later, and I'm sure - at least - 1000 plus listens.

Richard's opening, overture and Karen's Christmas Waltz are the perfect beginning. Christmas Waltz is my all-time favorite. Karen was born to sing Christmas carols and I still hope that Richard's next Christmas offering includes a Karen vocal - it's the only thing that keeps me going :).

"Silent Night" is the one for me. I was never that fussed about the song as a Christmas tune ... until I had the Carpenters Version, now its one of my favourites. I love the version on the second TV special with Georgia Engel (if I'm remembering correctly it might have had the original German lyric as well)

Extraordinary Karen performance, only topped by Little Altar Boy-- yeah yeah I know, not part of this album. Little Altar Boy is my favorite Karen performance. Period. Christmas or not. Maybe should have polled The Christmas Collection! Happy whatever to everyone.

I bought 'Christmas Portrait' the week of it's original release and have played it, (not the vinyl any longer), the cassette and several replacement copies of the CD since then. As the years have passed, 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas' has won the #1 spot in my estimation. Karen's voice seems to 'open' on this track and I have never heard her reach this magnificence in any other track in this specific manner, although she reaches magnificence many, many times in different magnificent ways. Do I make sense? Her voice soars and fills and is so 'complete' for lack of a better word that it continues to mesmerize me so many, many years later. I would love to be able to hear Miss Carpenter's recounting of these particular sessions...more so than the '78 Christmas Eve interview, but I wouldn't be surprised if she would give a shrug and pass it off as nothing more than a session, humble lady that she was. Merry Christmas, Karen. In the inimitable words of Dr. Frazer Crane...'I'm listening'...

An update for Murray and Chris: the music was published in the "Reader's Digest Merry Christmas Songbook". I DID find it! Interestingly, someone has it up on E-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reader's-Digest-MERRY-CHRISTMAS-Songbook-Sheet-Music_W0QQitemZ400015581753QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081207?IMSfp=TL081207158006r24303

The arrangement is what I would call very "simplistic". The basic notes are there with lyrics and chord symbols. If you're better than me on the keyboard, you could "embellish" it. It's probably out of print by now (copyright, 1981).

I knew I had the music somewhere, altho' not the original sheet music version.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom