• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters Reel to Reel HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victrolaguy

I need help from other Carpenters fans on this one! Is "Passage" from '77 the last release that was on Reel to Reel? I can't seem to find "Christmas Portrait" or "Made in America." Do any of you guys have these? Don't want to buy them, just want to know if they exist.... Anyone who could help me on this.... :?:

I'm not exactly sure but I can't imagine they were making R2R in 1980. As for "Christmas Portrait", that's a possibility.

Ed

I can't think of many reels myself--one book I have is not too thorough in that area.

I think officially, A&M and other labels may have quit issuing reels around 1972 or so, as the 8-track and cassette became popular in the years to follow. A&M used Ampex in Elk Grove Village for most of its reels (as other labels did, like Verve, Fantasy, etc.), but I have seen later issues on the grey reels, which I know Columbia used for their own product.

Quad reels lasted a bit longer (as I know someone who has a quad reel of Now & Then, and I think Singles 1969-1973 was on a quad reel as well, either here or in Japan), but Columbia House actually manufactured stereo reels for awhile after the major labels gave up on them. They did the same for 8-tracks for a few years after the majors had switched mainly to cassette. This is likely where the later reels came from.

I wonder if anyone out there has a list of reels that Columbia House may have released back in those days.

Hope this helps!

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
I'm not exactly sure but I can't imagine they were making R2R in 1980. As for "Christmas Portrait", that's a possibility.

Ed
I have seen "Thriller" by Mr. Jackson on Reel to Reel, and that's from 1982. I have everything The Carpenters did from 1969-1977 ("Ticket to Ride" through "Passage") on Reel to Reel. I got frustrated when I realized that all the compilations on CD, except for the '86-'87 first CD issues of the original albums, had been re-mastered by Richard, God bless. I wanted the real deal, so I started collecting the reels. All the reels that I have are the gray reels. I think A&M stopped using the clear Ampex reels by 1970. Everything up to "Now and Then" plays at 7 1/2 ips, everything after and including "Now and Then" plays at 3 3/4 ips. Two ARE Columbia House... "A Kind of Hush" and "Horizon." All of the Reel to Reels sound super fantastic, and I've made digital copies of them to play on my computer!
(Now, if I could find an original "Offering" on reel-to-reel... that would make my year!) :D

I'll try to post a picture of the collection at some point.

HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY KAREN, LOVE 'YA! :love:
KEEP ON GOIN' RICHARD!:cool:

"Thriller" on R2R? Really? That's interesting. In that case, I stand (er...sit) corrected. I remember looking at eBay about a year ago and I did see an "Offering" R2R. Surprise, it wasn't cheap either...

Ed

Here 'ya go! Pictures of the Reel to Reel collection!
There's also some of my Columbia House ads in there
Enjoy!
Carpenters1WEB.jpg

Carpenters2WEB.jpg

Carpenters3WEB.jpg

Carpenters4WEB.jpg

Carpenters5WEB.jpg

Carpenters6WEB.jpg

Carpenters7WEB.jpg

Hope this helps someone else!

"...You are one of the few things worth remembering--and since its all true, how could anything mean more to me than you."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom