Carpenters Ringtones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I bought a new cell phone today from Verizon, went online and believe it or not I downloaded "Merry Christmas Darling" ringtone, so everytime my cell phone rings, Karen sings (yes it is really Karen's voice) she sings the whole chorus of Merry Christmas Darling. I was totally shocked to find this available. I also found about 10 other Carpenters songs to download as ringtones.

I've been a little behind tech and have used this old clunky cell phone for years, now I have Karen with me and others are forced to hear her when my phone rings, :D

Anyone else have Carpenters on their cell phone? Wow gone are the days of polyphonic tones now we can have the real artists singing.

Personally I don't like music-artist ring tones. I wouldn't have Carpenters or any other musical artist on my cell phone. I think it's an insult to the artist to have their good music blasting out of a .5-inch speaker and annoying all within earshot.

The popularity of ringtones confounds me. People constantly complain about the high cost of CDs, movie tickets, and so on -- yet they will happily pay one to three bucks for a low-fi ringtone that doesn't even include a whole song. What a country!

Chris, I don't mean to dis your ringtone, I'm glad YOU like it, but I just don't understand that whole phenomenon.

Mike, it's just for fun, don't take it too seriously. I had to go back to the store later today for them to synch my old phone's address book up to my new one and someone called me while I was waiting in line and the person next to me says oh I love that song, I guess since it was the holidays people are nicer but I thought that was a sweet comment. It actually sounds pretty decent, I'm happy that's all that matters. :D

I keep my cell phone on "vibrate" about 90% of the time, since I am rarely in situations where it is appropriate for a phone to ring.

But on those occasions I do have the ringer on, it plays the theme song from ALIAS. It's obscure enough that most people just think it's some sort of electronic ringtone, but those who know it always get a big smile when they hear it...

David

I'm happy that Carpenters ringtones are available, but I tend to side with the curmudgeonly-sounding Mike. I spent the better part of my first fifty years on this Earth with phones sounding like, well, phones. They "rang". Now they beep, chirp, squawk, and mimic ancient Japanese transistor radios when they "ring", and most of the time I find it annoying. Our office is full of people who get calls on their personal phones at times, and the cacophony is enough to drive you batty. That, and the fact that they always seem to pick MY office window to get their "better signal."

My current phone has some available ringtone "songs", and as a curiosity when I got it as a new toy, I listened to each one of them trying to decide which one to use. I picked one called "Ring Ring", and no it's not the ABBA song, it's just a two-ring "tone" that makes this thing sound like a phone. Imagine that...

Most of the time mine is off anyway, since I truly hate phones. I long for the days when I could actually be away from the phone for a few hours, minutes. It made those times more peaceful, though I understand the "safety" nature of having a phone around at all times.

And think about this... With all of the cellphone cameras out there and available at all times, how come there still aren't any good shots of UFOs? Hmmm? We can capture rare comedian tirades, accidents, incidents, weather phenomena, and all sorts of stuff with these cameras. But those crafty UFO creatures somehow remain hidden!

I'm sure that neither Mike nor I meant to "threadcrap". It's just a hot-button issue, at least with me.

Harry

I tend to side with the curmudgeonly-sounding Mike.
Yes, I guess I did come off like Andy Rooney a bit there, didn't I? :D

(I think I have a special hatred for cellphones being a movie theatre owner.)

I have a data cable and upload 8-bit, 8kHz WAV files to my Nextel phone as ringtones. "Mexican Shuffle" is one of the better ones I've done. :D It also has MIDI capabilities, so I can upload much smaller MIDI files--the few I have uploaded are MIDI versions of Debussy solo piano works, and I also found some Pat Metheny and David Benoit MIDI transcriptions I've used before. (Still prefer the genuine WAV files though.) I prefer these to standard cell phone ringers, and it's all in good fun when used at home. Especially if you use Elton John's "The Bitch Is Back" or the Bros. Johnson's "Get The Funk Out Ma Face" whenever the ex calls. :D

Anytime I'm in public though, I always have it on vibrate so it doesn't ring at all. Everyone should be made to do this--annoying ringers and loud public discussions are a pet peeve of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom