CD Reissues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someday

Can anyone clear this up for me? All my CDs are the original reissues from the 90s. Now, on Amazon etc, they all tend to say 'Original Album Remastered' or some such. Are they actually any different or superior to the original CDs? Confusing ...

There were essentially three different CD generations of Carpenters albums.

1 - The original A&M releases came out in the '80s. These contained a mixture of tracks that were both original album mixes and some that Richard had remixed up to that point, particularly the earlier hits. There were also some instances of single mixes being used instead of the album mixes - things like "Top Of The World", "I Need To Be In Love", "Yesterday Once More" and "I Won't Last A Day Without You".

2 - In the early '90s, Polygram had purchased A&M and quietly reissued a number of these discs with some changes. Some more remixes were used, and I believe there are instances of things being "corrected". Since I never knew about any of these, I don't own them and can't detail just what was done, but I have heard that on SINGLES 1969-1973, they used the remixed single version of "Yesterday Once More".

3 - Starting in 1998, Polygram, just before they were bought out by Universal, brought Richard and Bernie Grundman into the studio to supervise the "Remastered Classics" series. Each original studio album was reissued with the original album mixes, just as they sounded on LP back in the '70s and early '80s. The only things still "mucked with" at this point, that I'm aware of, is the removal of some synth notes from "Those Good Old Dreams". Otherwise, these are a true representation of the original album mixes. For the first time on CD we got the original "Superstar", and the somewhat unfinished album mix of "Yesterday Once More." These masters have been used on any releases since that time, including all Japanese box sets, SHM-CD's, mini-LP's, etc.

Harry

Does anyone know if Karen's solo album was ever released under the "remastered classic series". I seem to remember seeing one in Barnes & Noble yrs ago but maybe I am mistaken.

SOMEDAY-What you are seeing on Amazon are imported copies(from Holland) of several Carpenters albums that are out-of-print in the US.Universal did an axe job on half of K&R's catalog in 1995-1996.These albums are out-of print in the US:
TICKET TO RIDE
SINGLES 1969-1973
A KIND OF HUSH
PASSAGE
MADE IN AMERICA
VOICE OF THE HEART
LOVELINES
KAREN CARPENTER

The import copies on Amazon display a "Carpenters 40th Anniversary" sticker on the plastic wrap.The mastering on these imports is NOT as good as the US remastered discs from 1999,and the quality of the album cover sleeves are even worse-the "Lovelines" cover looks like it was scanned from a photocopy machine!

If you really want these albums,try to look for new or used copies of the US remastered discs.(Karen's solo album was never remastered,by the way-just the original disc from 1996.)

Thanks for your help. I did have a little trouble getting hold of A Kind of Hush after my original went missing. You're right, it came with the 40th Ann sticker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom