• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

CD remix/alternate versions of album 'Ticket To Ride'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefano

Different CD compilations have been released through the years by the Carpenters. These compilations not also gave birth to many remixes of Carpenters’ songs, but (finally) presented us with CD-debuts of single mixes, alternative versions, demo cuts, karaoke sing-a-longs and even newly SACD mixes.

After a few dozen compilations I totally lost count and felt the urge to make an overview which gives information about which version has been released on which CD compilation. I used the official Universal CD compilations released in Europe, Japan and the US, starting with the first ‘Yesterday Once More’ UK set in 1984 and (for now) ending with the ‘Japanese Single Box’ in 2006.

Titles without any additional remix information don’t have other versions than the original album version (to my knowledge).

I tried to be as accurate as possible, but nobody is perfect.
Errors? Disagreements? Additional remix information? Please use this forum to elaborate.

This is the first survey, starting with the ‘Ticket To Ride’ album. More albums are to be followed very soon.

Ticket To Ride (1969)

1. Invocation - 1.00
Demo:
•FROM THE TOP (1990)
•THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION: 1965-1997 (2002)

2. Your Wonderful Parade - 2.54
Demo:
•FROM THE TOP (1990)

3. Someday - 5.13

4. Get Together - 2.35
Your Navy Presents Version:

5. All Of My Life - 3.02
1987 Remix:
•TREASURES (1987) JAPAN ONLY
•FROM THE TOP (1990)
•SWEET MEMORY (1995) JAPAN ONLY
•REFLECTIONS (1995)
•SWEET SWEET SMILE (2000)
•CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER (2003)

6. Turn Away - 3.10

7. Ticket To Ride - 4.10
1973 Version:
•THE SINGLES: 1969-1973 (1973)
•YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (1984) UK ONLY
•YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (1985)
•A&M CLASSICS VOLUME 2 (1987)
•ANTHOLOGY (1989) JAPAN ONLY
•ONLY YESTERDAY: RICHARD AND KAREN CARPENTER’S GREATEST HITS (1990)
•FROM THE TOP (1990)
•STARTRAX (1991)
•CARPENTERS COLLECTION (1993)
•INTERPRETATIONS (1994) UK ONLY
•REFLECTIONS (1995)
•TWENTY-TWO HITS OF THE CARPENTERS (1995) JAPAN ONLY
•THEIR GREATEST HITS AND FINEST PERFORMANCES (1997) READER’S DIGEST
•YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (1998)
•BY REQUEST (2000) JAPAN ONLY
•GOLD (2000) EUROPE ONLY
•THE SINGLES 1969-1981 (2000)
•YESTERDAY ONCE MORE: THE DUTCH SINGLES COLLECTION (2001)
•GOLD (2001) JAPAN ONLY
•GOLD: THE 35TH ANNIVERSARY 2 CD EDITION (2004)
2004 SACD Hybrid Remix:
•THE SINLGES: 1969-1981 SACD HYBRID (2004)

8. Don't Be Afraid - 2.06
Demo:
•FROM THE TOP (1990)

9. What's The Use - 2.43

10. All I Can Do - 1.41
Demo:
•FROM THE TOP (1990)
Spectrum Version:

11. Eve - 2.52
1987 Remix:
•TREASURES (1987) JAPAN ONLY
•FROM THE TOP (1990)
•TREASURES (1990)
•REFLECTIONS (1995)
•CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER (2003)

12. Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing - 4.17
Without Count-In Richard:

13. Benediction - 0.43

Good work, Stefano - and welcome to the A&M Corner Forum. Chris May, my fellow moderator, and I are/were working on a similar project, doing it song by song. But it looks like you've got a lot of the legwork already done.

Proceed onward!

Harry

very cool. this is kind of what I mentioned that would be neat to have a while back. i hope the work continues. Love it!

This is very cool and happy to see this being started.

I know this is for CD compilations only but did we want to add the rare edited different take of Your Wonderful Parade on 45, this is a different lead in by Richard. I'm not sure we would have that many different takes on 45's anyway but this one came to mind as an alternate version.

Thank you very much for starting these threads!

I also know this is for CD compilations only but I was hoping Chris or Harry would point American 45 version of "Your Wonderful Parade" :wink: and "Someday" at Medley 1980.
And different arrangement for live versions, for example of change of key or different lyrics in back vocal. I'm not good at talk about them. :tongue:

Sakura

Harry said:
Good work, Stefano - and welcome to the A&M Corner Forum. Chris May, my fellow moderator, and I are/were working on a similar project, doing it song by song. But it looks like you've got a lot of the legwork already done.

Proceed onward!

Harry

Hi Harry, thanks for your comment and appreciation. Indeed, it took lots of work to complete the survey. I have had it stalled on my computer for a few years, but always thought there would be more fans struggling with the same confusion. So here it is, divided into fifteen parts.

What I do hope is that the forum members will verify the data. Maybe I was wrong on a certain remix or am I missing some important alternate version. And maybe you and Chris can add your valuable information to it?

Cheers, Stefano.

I think what will end up happening is that these threads will be moved over to a separate Carpenters discography area, where we'll not only keep these album threads, but have individual song threads to cross-reference.

Chris has been among the missing lately, and I've been involved in moving, so it's been tough to find time to do a thorough song-by-song discography.

Harry

Wow! Talk about a thankless job! But very much worth the effort.
I believe "Turn Away" was also included on "Sweet Memory". That sticks out in my head for some reason.
Excellent job, and thank you!
Bob.

A&M Retro said:
Wow! Talk about a thankless job! But very much worth the effort.
I believe "Turn Away" was also included on "Sweet Memory". That sticks out in my head for some reason.
Excellent job, and thank you!
Bob.

Hi Bob, thanks for your appreciation.

About 'Turn Away' the following: yes, the song was included on the Japanese 1994 'Sweet Memory' collection, but in its album version. Therefore you won't find any remix details to this song in this 'Ticket To Ride' survey.

Cheers, Stefano.

Thanks for the clarification. The one song I wish Richard had remixed at some point is "Help!". Not sure why that never got the Richard remix/perfecto treatment. Would love to hear it with Karen's vocals more up-front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom