• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

CD w/ "remastered?" TJB "Don't Go Breaking My

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefandaystrom

Japan-only OOP Burt Bacharach "Composer Series" CD:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=2554236881

I bought my copy (for $5 more) from this same seller about a year ago. Back then I was the only bidder. I haven't seen it on eBay again since then until now. And I see this copy so far has no bids (with almost exactly 2 days to go as I post this) and a very reasonable opening bid of $14.99 (tho you'll need to factor in up to $12 for the equivalent of registered Global Priority Mail, which is called EMS in Japan).

On the TJB specificity: It contains "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" from SRO, but it's a cleaner (and obviously separately done) transfer than on the Japanese SRO disc. AFAIK this transfer is not available on any other CD. (And of course, you're not likely to find SRO -- which has 12 tracks -- at even as little as 12 times the cost of this CD :) .) While I personally prefer the grungier version of this track on the SRO disc because it has more "kick" there, I still find it very interesting to have this version as a comparison.

And this isn't the only worthwhile thing on the disc. There's the Roger Nichols & Small Circle of Friends version of the song too (in that case, sounding pretty much the same as on the RN&SCOF import best-of), and a couple other harder-to-find tracks (along with some on-every-A&M-compilation tracks by Bacharach and the Carpenters).

The full track list:

I'll Never Fall In Love Again / Burt Bacharach
(They Long To Be) Close To You / Carpenters
The Look Of Love / Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66
This Guy's In Love With You / Burt Bacharach
What The World Needs Now Is Love / Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66
Don't Go Breaking My Heart / Roger Nichols & The Small Circle Of Friends
Make It Easy On Yourself / Burt Bacharach
Wishin' And Hopin' / Rita Coolidge
I Say A Little Prayer For You / Wes Montgomery
A House Is Not A Home / Burt Bacharach
The Look Of Love / Liza Minnelli
Don't Go Breaking My Heart / Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass
What The World Needs Now Is Love / Burt Bacharach
This Guy's In Love With You / Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass
The Look Of Love / Claudine Longet
(They Long To Be)Close To You / Burt Bacharach
I'll Never Fall In Love Again / Carpenters

I'm not bidding on this copy, so hopefully some other Corner member who's interested can get their copy this time.

That comp contains many, but not all, of the tunes used in another Japanese compilation, probably even rarer, The A&M Songs Of Burt Bacharach. It's a 19 song CD released in 1995. Though it doesn't have the TJB's "Don't Go Breaking My Heart", it DOES have the never-before-or-since-released-on-CD "Promises, Promises" by the T.J.B. It's also got "I Say A Little Prayer" by the BMB, another that's never been on CD anywhere else.

That CD was one of my earliest purchases on eBay.

Harry
...on a still-dreary Tuesday morning, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom