• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Charlie Robinson Carnival 702

MusicResearch

This 45 has been mentioned on this site since 2010. Unfortunately, no copy has been found. In looking at Copyright filings, it appears that there may be some errors. "Love Is Back In Style" appears in the Irving Music catalog credited to J. Calistri. However, the Copyright shows w&m by Joan Chambers, which the Copyright Office received from Irving Music on 9JUN62 and assigned number EU727262. The next Copyright Number, EU727263, was for a song entitles Lemon Twist, with w&m Bill Wood. This is listed correctly in the BMI.com catalog for Irving Music.

In the 1960s through the mid-1970s, the Copyright Office had what it called a Copyright Notice. This was a notification - I'm not sure whether there was an official form, or whether a letter was also acceptable - to the Copyright Office that the song would be recorded and/or issued. Usually this meant that the Copyright owner (e.g., Irving Music) was recording and/or releasing that song. Many Copyright owners did not send a Notice to the Copyright Office. It's hard to understand when this Notice should have been filed, and on my visits to the Copyright Office in D.C. I have not received a good explanation. For example, if another entity which was not the Copyright owner wanted to make a recording of the song (i.e., a "cover version"), perhaps they should have notified the Copyright owner, etc.

Regardless of one's understanding of a Copyright Notice, I mention it because when the Copyright Office received a Notice, it assigned a Volume and Page to this document. The Notice received by the Copyright Office on 8AUG62 was assigned v54 p484 - one can visit D.C. and find it on microfilm - and this included all four songs on Carnival 701 and Carnival 702. So can anyone explain the use of J. Calistri in the Irving Music catalog, and the suggestion that Peppermint Twist was the Title on the Charlie Robinson 45, rather than Lemon Twist?

So

Can anyone explain where J. Calistri and Peppermint Twist came from?

Back
Top Bottom