• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Christmas Portrait...when does the music start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cam89 said:
The Carpenters CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT album is on 3 Billboard Charts this week.

The Top 200 Albums...it is currently #150.

The Catalogue Album...#33.

The Holiday Albums...#43. (Last week this #45).

Another reason I love the season...Carpenters albums charting again, Carpenters on the radio...It's almost like being alive in the 70's again, just sans the bad hair and clothes! :D

This week, Carpenters' CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT on BILLBOARD CHARTS...

The Top 200 albums...it is currently #161.

The Catalogue Albums...#33.

The Holiday Albums #44.

A&M Retro said:
Always the day after Thanksgiving for me, too! There's nothing better than hearing "Do You Hear What I Hear" when Karen comes in at the second verse.

I've always been fascinated with this angle of production... That is, the "accidents", or, unintentions that end up on a production that actually make that production BETTER!

I too agree that Karen entering in the second verse, with Richard kicking it off is pure genius. However, that was NOT what was intended when they recorded it, and we've talked about that here before. For those who are not sure what I am talking about, I'll explain.

When they tracked this in '78, Karen sang along with the partial orchestration and rhythm tracks that were being laid to tape. The introduction and first verse to the song were from one particular "take" where Karen had stumbled over the lyric in the first line. Because she never recorded a master-lead vocal, and it was necessary that the take Richard used stay in the production, he couldn't replace Karen's voice. So, as the story goes, Richard recorded a doubled-lead, which was a staple of his sound when soloing on a record, and the rest of verse two on through the completion of the song was a separate take, in which Karen sang her work-lead beautifully!

Chris May said:
When they tracked this in '78, Karen sang along with the partial orchestration and rhythm tracks that were being laid to tape. The introduction and first verse to the song were from one particular "take" where Karen had stumbled over the lyric in the first line. Because she never recorded a master-lead vocal, and it was necessary that the take Richard used stay in the production, he couldn't replace Karen's voice. So, as the story goes, Richard recorded a doubled-lead, which was a staple of his sound when soloing on a record, and the rest of verse two on through the completion of the song was a separate take, in which Karen sang her work-lead beautifully!

Hi Chris,

Why do you think that Richard couldn't replace Karen voice? The song is really not that long and when Karen gave her reading of the first verse and knew of the flub why couldn't he just had her re-record it at that moment and splice it together. I've kinda grown fond of Richard starting the song and Karen being introduced on the 2nd verse even though it doesn't sound right with the choral in the background.

I have said it before but there is something different about her voice in this song, meaning it is so smooth and buttery sounding, I just adore the way the words flow from her voice on this track. It's hard to explain but it's different in a positive way.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Why do you think that Richard couldn't replace Karen voice? The song is really not that long and when Karen gave her reading of the first verse and knew of the flub why couldn't he just had her re-record it at that moment and splice it together.

I guess because the song was never really completed in Karen's lifetime, maybe it was not that he couldn't, it was that they just didn't do it because the song was left off the album.

I think it was cause they cut way too many songs, when it was realized it would only be a ONE lp album...and so they chose to move on quickly to other songs....

For this week. Christmas Portrait jumped out of the Top 200. But stayed at #48 on the Catalogue album. And #46 on the Holiday Album Chart.

Today I dedicated to the Carpenters.

I watched both of the TV specials and listened to both albums. It brought the Christmas spirit to me---it always starts there.

I did the same thing Alex. Today I listened to my German CD of The Christmas Portrait and this week I listened to the 2 CD Time Life Christmas with the Carpenters. Tonight I watched the video Christmas Portrait, it's worn practically out but I have to watch it.

Karen's voice is such apart of the Christmas spirit for me, there is something about her voice that just touches me more around the holidays. There is a warmth in her voice in these Christmas songs that I never tire of hearing year after year after year. She is still missed.

I had some staff from work, we work in a ski resort and are stuck at the top of the mountain...and we had some Christmas treat...and listened to Karen Carpenter's Christmas Portrait...they really seemed to enjoy it...

It's interesting Richard posting in the 40th Anniversary box that it should have been Karen's release, not his.

Merry Christmas, Joyeux Noël, Happy Holiday to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom