• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Christmas tune that Karen should have recorded??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
What is your favorite Christmas tune that Karen should have recorded?? I think the Andy Willams song "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" & the remake of "Let There Be Peace On Earth" are my favorites. What about you??

I think a good, brave attempt at Bobby Goldsboro's "A Christmas Wish"...

Bobby Sherman seems to be the only notable interpreter of what's actually so far only available by the actual composer on a very obscure '45'...

-- Dave

I get goosebumps just thinking about how Karen might have sounded on Amy Grant's "Breath Of Heaven (Mary's Song)", 'Grown Up Christmas List", and "Emmanuel God With Us". But those songs weren't around when Karen was, so it wasn't to be. As it is, Amy's remarkable versions shall have to stand.

Harry

I can't believe they didn't think of Little Drummer Boy (with Karen on drums obviously). That would've been so fitting. And besides that song touches me everytime I hear it. Another one which is new but Karen would nail it is Olivia's recent 'Ev'ry Time It Snows'. Check it out and tell me you can't hear Karen on that track and not burst into tears.

Maybe a bit corney, but Christmas Island would have been fun. And a little ditty called Blue Christmas could have totally been KC's

I'd go for Grown Up Christmas List as well. But in the vein of What are You Doing New Year's Eve?, I always thought she'd sound great on Baby, It's Cold Outside. A little naughty, a little nice. :wink:

I submit "Ringing the Bells of Christmas" on Larry Carlton's Christmas at My House...contemporary, jazz-influenced, and with a great lyric. Reminds me of a Christmas-ish "Touch Me When We're Dancing."

There are so many Amy Grant songs that Karen would have sounded amazing on, I think Amy's voice has alot of the qualities of Karen's lower register. The song "Breath of Heaven" is so moving to listen to, would have fit Karen perfectly, had she lived I'm sure this could have been a track to appear on future Christmas album, the piano piece would also compliment Richard's playing. Some other tracks I'd love to hear Karen sing from Amy's Christmas albums are, Heirlooms and I Need a Silent Night.

masqueraded: Yes, I agree, Olivia's track, "Everytime it Snows" gives me goosebumps. She really made a great Christmas CD, "Christmas Wishes" I like that each song has an instrumental in between her singing, her voice is amazing on this CD.
You can see Olivia here in the studio w/ Jon on this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF87eHRPny0

You can see how Olivia gets herself into the song, much like Karen did when she started to perform a song, like Merry Christmas Darling on the Bruce Forsyth Show, this marks the work of a true professional singer.

Bacharach fans agree: "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle." :D It would have fit nicely on the original Christmas Portrait.

Chris, yes Olivia's Christmas Wish is way better than the Christmas Collection. Olivia is in fine vocal form. And I agree with you about preparing for the song. That's why I love both Olivia and Karen (Carpenters). Especially on some I Honestly Love You videos on youtube you can see Olivia summoning that place inside her like Karen would for songs like Superstar or Rainy Days. True true talent.

I think she would have done a great job with Baby, It's Cold Outside; The Most Wonderful Time of the Year and, a song I've only heard recorded by Linda Eder - who I believe wrote it - "Christmas Stays the Same".

The ONE song that definitely should have been recorded by Karen is "O Holy Night". I will never understand why that song wasn't recorded with a lead vocal by Karen. I can hear her singing it in my head. Imagine her singing in 'the basement alto voice' on the following line: "It is the night of our dear Savior's birth...."
I remember seeing it on the back cover of "Old Fashioned Christmas", and being horrified it was just a Richard instrumental (as it was on their 1977 Christmas special, and Karen was there)! Oh, the pain, the pain. :confused:

I don't know if this song is really be intended as a "true" Christmas song, but "Christmas In My Soul" by Laura Nyro from her 1970 LP, Christmas & The Beads Of Sweat...

It is a very dark & moody number & one I wonder if Karen can bring a little "comfort & joy" to... Well, if she kept it its "original form" it may even be a good thing, (although not exactly "Rainy Days & Mondays") too...!

-- Dave

I have always wondered why Bob Hope did not feature Karen in his annual Christmas TV show dueting with him on "Silver Bells", which is something Mr. Hope did every year. Kind of reminds me of the awesome duet Perry Como did with Karen on one of his shows...

Just heard "Christmas Lullaby" by Amy Grant. It would have been perfect for Karen's voice and for Richard's arrangement style.

I get goosebumps just thinking about how Karen might have sounded on Amy Grant's "Breath Of Heaven (Mary's Song)", 'Grown Up Christmas List", and "Emmanuel God With Us". But those songs weren't around when Karen was, so it wasn't to be.

That is pretty much the case for the Pretenders' 2000 miles, it is a lovely song and would fit Karen perfectly. Outside under the purple sky / diamonds in the snow / sparkle! / our hearts were singing / it felt like Christmas time... SO beautiful!!

Even though Christmas was one month ago, I still have some spirit. So I'll chime in here. I would have loved a version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas". It seems as though this song has not been recorded nearly as often as other Christmas songs and I can hear Karen's beautiful voice gliding over "fiiiive gooolden rings". For some uptempo songs, "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Rocking Around The Christmas Tree" would have been nice for Christmas Portrait.

Now that I put my mind to it, the one holiday-ish song (not really a Christmas song, but it was in the movie White Christmas) that I would have most loved the Carpenters to record would have been "Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep."

You all named some great titles that Karen would have been wonderful on. Like so many of you, whenever I hear "Grown Up Christmas List" on the radio, I think of Karen. Another Christmas song that was written in recent years that I think Karen would have done well on is "Just Like Me" recorded by Vanessa Williams on the Charlie Brown Christmas 40 Years CD. This sweet, sad song is about the relationship between Charlie Brown and his little Christmas tree.

Richard's "Together at Christmas Again" is another that she I wish she could have sang. I think it's gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom