• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Chronological question

masqueraded

So doing a project for myself. As i said im doing the remastered classics. Also have from the top. Will eventually get other stuff too.

I love cassettes (I have a walkman). Im gonna wanna start putting Cs to cassette soon once i get more of the main cds. How would you guys do this in order? TTR and onward or put stuff as recorded first (ie stuff from from the top, the complete singles mixes, mono, then albums or etc)? Let me know your opinions. Plenty of time.

When I did cassette transfers, I kept it in album order, with all of the extras added at the end.

So for VOTH and on leave them as is or put the songs where they should go? Like Richard putting Ordinary Fool in 1976 on From the Top. I'm leaving remixes by year so that part Im certain.

So for VOTH and on leave them as is or put the songs where they should go? Like Richard putting Ordinary Fool in 1976 on From the Top. I'm leaving remixes by year so that part Im certain.
I replied then realized I misunderstood.

If we're talking about previously unreleased tracks, I'd include them in release order, not recording order---but that's just me, and I could understand why you would put them the other way.

My method of doing compilations has evolved over the years. But my aim is always to make the compilation sound like a complete work, as opposed to just a laundry list of songs thrown together.

I used to make a lot of cassette and CD comps, and I usually would mix the songs up. I made multi-disk compilations of Herb Alpert, Elton John, Sergio Mendes, Alan Parsons Project, Santana and maybe a few others -- those are my big favorites -- but for the most part I could get all my favorite tunes into one tape or disk.

Lately I've been making more "compilations" on Amazon. My usual procedure is to put all the albums that I want to draw from into one long playlist, and then go through and delete the songs I don't want. I always try to pick a different song from each album to open that album's segment -- to get rid of the feeling that I'm about to hear that album. I also rearrange the songs to make them flow naturally. If there is a segue on the original album, of course I keep that in place. This has eliminated the time constraints of CD, of course, so I tend to include more album cuts than I did on CDs -- and sometimes I leave out the "overplayed" songs that I'm sick of hearing. I play these lists a lot at work.

The only problem the with the Amazon playlist approach is, songs with segues that I don't want to include. I hate it when a song just cuts-off without fading.

I haven't done an Amazon playlist for Carpenters yet. I need to get that done sometime. I wish there was a way to include my own edit of the oldies medley from Now and Then; I took out a couple of the songs, which (to me at least) improved on it a bit.

Since this is a cassette compilation, I recall doing those in the old days. I would typically work it out to one complete album per side of a cassette. If the albums were short and fit on a 60, I'd use onde of those, but mostly I used 90-minute cassettes.

So tape 1 would be OFFERING on side one and CLOSE TO YOU on side two. Occasionally, I'd add a different mix to the end of an album, like an odd mono mix, or a 12" mix. But that was rare with Carpenters.

Then after all the albums were done, I'd add in the remaining tracks as released, in order, so it would be things like box set tracks, "Trying To Get" and AS TIME GOES BY stuff.

But by the time most of that had come out, the CDs themselves were available and I had a car player, so cassette compilations were a lot less valuable to me.

All good pointers. Thanks guys. I have time to think about it but may do recording order for most part. Ill be using either 90 or 110 min cassettes. Ive been enjoying my walkman a lot. Also saving up for a 2TB custom made ipod so thatll be fun for me too.

Back
Top Bottom