🥂 50th CLASSICS SERIES, VOL. 8 - Joan Baez (CD 2506)

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
61KuOIhPCNL._AA300_.jpg

Classics, Volume 8 - Joan Baez [1987]
CD 2506

Track listing:
1. Diamonds & Rust (J. Baez)
2. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (J. R. Robertson)
3. Simple Twist Of Fate (B. Dylan)
4. Imagine (J. Lennon)
5. In The Quiet Morning (M. Farina)
6. Best Of Friends (M. Farina)
7. Forever Young (B. Dylan)
8. Prison Trilogy (Billy Rose) (J. Baez)
9. Jesse (J. Ian)
10. Children And All That Jazz (J. Baez)
11. Please Come To Boston (D. Loggins)
12. Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer (S. Wonder, S. Wright)
13. Gracias A La Vida (V. Parra, arr. by J. Baez)
14. Sweeter For Me (J. Baez)
15. Love Song To A Stranger (J. Baez)
16. Dida (J. Baez)
17. Amazing Grace (traditional, arr. by J. Baez)

"Goodbye Blue Sky" from Diamonds & Rust would have been much more worth including than "Children & All That Jazz"... (Pretty much a B-Side for the title-track of Diamonds & Rust on purpose...!)

If only the Live version of "Diamonds & Rust" had been used... (And maybe at least one Live song been omitted, other than "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" (originally recorded for Vanguard), like maybe"Amazing Grace", then...)

A bland set for A&M and its 25th Ann.-series, given Joan was never any great shakes for the label, but rather than compromise between the colors used for the covers for Gracias A La Vida (Here's To Life) and From Every Stage the PURPLE (after a bit of its absence, leaning more towards a bluish tint) is done right!

-- Dave

This disc was a five-song expansion of an earlier album called THE BEST OF JOAN C. BAEZ. All 12 tracks on that one are here on the CLASSICS set with five additional tracks.

I bought THE BEST OF JOAN C. BAEZ back in the early days of CDs. I was rather fond on Joan's DIAMONDS AND RUST album and would have bought that had it been available. This was the next best thing with four really good tracks from that album, so I bought it. Somehow, by the time I saw DIAMONDS AND RUST in the racks, Joan's stuff had fallen out of favor with me, so that one was all I needed.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom