• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

CLOSE TO YOU-A ROLLING STONE CLASSIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr J.

Rolling Stone's(magazine) "Top 500 Albums Of All Time" lists "Close To You" at #174.This comes as no surprise-it's K&R's best album,their best-selling album(in worldwide sales) and a great album in it's own right.Karen's vocals on this album were noticeably stronger(than subsequent albums).There is also more rock-oriented material(including one of the best Beatles remakes ever done),and plenty of jazz embellishments sprinkled throughout.(notice the improvised organ solo on "Help" and the complex time signatures on "Mr. Guder",among others).And,of course,K&R's signature tunes "We've Only Just Begun" and "Close To You" are here."Close To You" is also among the few select albums that has managed to stay continuously in print for almost 37 years!

Some here might argue that A SONG FOR YOU might have been a better choice, but I tend to agree that CLOSE TO YOU has some tasty selections on it. It's the album that sold me on Carpenters.

I've heard a number of fans diss "Help!" but I find it an amazing track. And "Mr. Guder" gets better every time I play it. Even Richard's lead on "I Kept On Loving You" is a good one with Karen's strong backing vocals.

Harry

Close to You is their best. It is my favorite Carpenters album. I would say next would be A Song For You and then Made in America.

I've heard a number of fans diss "Help!" but I find it an amazing track. And "Mr. Guder" gets better every time I play it. Even Richard's lead on "I Kept On Loving You" is a good one with Karen's strong backing vocals.

Dissing "Help?!" I wonder why...what's not to like? I always wished that K&R would explore their "rock side" a little more.

And, I always enjoyed the songs where Richard sang lead (yes, even the much-maligned "Saturday") and wished there were more songs like that on the later albums. Yes, they were obviously filler, but his vocals contribute to the variety that made those first four albums great.

I suppose "diss" might have been the wrong word. It's more like expressing that "Help!" might be their least favorite on the album.

Harry

Hmm. I never thought about what would be my least favorite song on that album. Without looking at it, I'd probably pick "I'll Never Fall In Love Again," but even it is pretty good.

Must mean they dismissed compilations from being added to the list- "The Singles 1969-1973" is a wonderful piece of elegant work. Simply amazing...

"Another Song." OMG. 'Nuff said.

Several years ago I called into a radio show that was discussing album sides and which side of what album was your favorite. All these people calling in with the Stones, Beatles, Procol Harem etc and I call up with the B side of "Close to You." The dj was almost speechless. It was a hoot.

174, huh? Who knew?

Well, I mean, except for us...

Mike Blakesley said:
Hmm. I never thought about what would be my least favorite song on that album. Without looking at it, I'd probably pick "I'll Never Fall In Love Again," but even it is pretty good.

LOL. That's my favorite song on the album! As for "Help," I think the Live in Japan version smokes the studio one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom