• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Close To You-Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Thanks to another ONJ fan & also thanks to Sakura here for telling me about this link.....if you follow this link you can see ONJ sing "Close to You" that was recorded live when she was in Japan this past June 2003. I didn't realize that Olivia could lower her voice that deep.

Of course we all know that Olivia & Karen were best friends.

http://www.cut2black.com/onj/00/index.html

Look for Close to You Live.

Hi Chris,

You told me about "Close To You" clip. Thank you. I hope you enjoyed "If Not For You" about which you talked before.

The following link is to Karen's photos(singing "Close To You").
I hope you can see a slideshow. If the following is too long, please copy and paste the remainder. I love third(Live at Budokan).

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/manon_lespoir/slideshow?.dir=/Interpretations/5_Close+To+You&.view=t

Do you remember the First TV Show?
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/manon_le...rst+Television+Special/F_Close+To+You&.view=t

"Close To You" in Live '74
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/manon_lespoir/slideshow?.dir=/Live+At+Budokan/5_Close+To+You&.view=t

Sakura

A Olivia fan who went to her concerts wrote on Olivia bbs:

At the actual concert(April 4),
She said following notes before she sings"Take me home country roads & Close to you".

"These next two songs I wanted to sing, Because I know that these two people are very popular in Japan. And they were very good friends of mine and I miss them, So I'd like to sing these songs for them."

(CTY video of Chris's link was taped on April 4th.)

He wrote on another bbs:
Olivia may be going to sing a duet with her female friend for US '2' like with Peter Allen.

Richard performed Top Of The World with Karen in screen magic, didn't he? (around 1997?) Did he perform other songs with Karen?

Sakura

Sakura wrote,

He wrote on another bbs:
Olivia may be going to sing a duet with her female friend for US '2' like with Peter Allen

Do you know how this person heard about this? Was he talking about Olivia doing a duet w/ Karen? This would be really cool, She did the same think with Tenderfield Sattler with the Late Peter Allen & she did a video too, Peter is singing in the distance & Olivia sings with him, much like the Unforgettable w Nat Cole & Natalie Cole. It's a great song. Wow if only she would do that with Karen. :wink:

Hi Chris,

He is hinting the duet with Karen clearly. The website I wrote to you in PM was his website. He couldn't check whether it was true information or not. He may be scrambling for connection with Olivia's satff. But he has not clarified the source of his information. They say that Olivia already sang a new duet with Cliff Richard for '2' album for Europe. I hope a dream come true in '2' for US.

Sakura

Olivia's concert(April 4th) in Japan was broadcast on BS2 on July the 5th. "Close To You" was of course broadcast again. There was not Olivia's talk about Karen nor Karen's photos.

To Olivia fans,
I'm sorry but some songs were not on air. There was not "Sam" that I love. But interview, back stage, some clips from "Grease" and "Xanadu" and "Magic" video (Olivia wore a white outfit with white boots. She was so cute. It might be from Midnite Special, 1980) and famous "Physical" video was attached to BShi program.

Olivia in white
http://www.onlyolivia.com/visual/tv/80/80/midnite/index.html

Sakura

Thanks for the link, I new that yahoo launch had Close to You, shame they don't have more videos.

Can anyone explain the picture in the Close to You Video, when Karen is pointing her finger at the Superstar, looks like a different language, & it looks like a huge closeup of Karen's face & eyes. What is the story behind that photo, where was it taken, Ive also been curious about that but never knew the story. Was it a press conference & award?

"Remeber When Lovin' Took All Night" , interview with Olivia & "Let Me Be There"

For Olivia fans,

The interview with Olivia Newton-John appeared on Olivia's Close To You video website. This interview is from NHK-BS2 program (this month, taped this April). (There is the clip from Midnite Special, 1980 on this website. I hope he put "Magic", too.) ( Naoki is the same guy whom I talked about in my second message on this topic, I think. But he has not talked about the duet as far. )

By the way "Remember When Lovin' Took All Night" ( from 'Karen Carpenter' and 'Lovelines' ) was written by John Farrar and Molly Ann Leiken. John is Olivia's good friend and producer. How did Karen come to sing this song?

I read :
ASCAP's ACE database:
CARPENTERS:
LET ME BE THERE

Do you know this "Let Me Be There" by the Carpenters?

Sakura

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Thanks for the link, I new that yahoo launch had Close to You, shame they don't have more videos.

Can anyone explain the picture in the Close to You Video, when Karen is pointing her finger at the Superstar, looks like a different language, & it looks like a huge closeup of Karen's face & eyes. What is the story behind that photo, where was it taken, Ive also been curious about that but never knew the story. Was it a press conference & award?

Hi Chris,

The poster you mentioned is promoting "To The Highest Bidder", in 1971 the latest album by Dutch rockgroup Supersister. The Carpenters were in Holland as well, during their European tour in the Fall of 1971. My guess is that Karen or one of the guys must have spotted the poster and thought it would be great to make this picture (which it sure is!). BTW, "zo'n geweldige nieuwe elpee" simply means "such a great new album".

You'll find more about this Dutch band right here:

http://ftp.castel.nl/~wemmg01/ssis.htm

If you click Discography and scroll down a bit, you'll find part of the poster that appeared in the CTY video.

Greg
(yes, from Holland :cool: )

Hi Greg,

Welcome to this board!
Thanks for your explanation for the photo. I wondered what supersister was.
I talked about Carpenters' appearance on Dutch TV in 1976 on the topic "Superstar Video Clip".

topic "Superstar Video Clip"
http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1812

Murray shows the audio clips on his website. Please click the "www" icon at the bottom of Murray's posts.
There are the clips of "Yesterday Once More - Grease songs - Yesterday Once More", "Don't Be Afraid - Sing (Karen sang a little in Japanese)" and "I Need To Be In Love(of course, live)".

Have your seen the Carpenters on TV? Or are you a young fan?
If you watched the Carpenters, please tell us about it. Were other songs broadcast?

When I was a student, I passed through your country. It was winter. I wish I went to your country again in warm weather. Your country would be more beautiful!

Sakura from Japan

Thanks Sakura!

And thanks as well for directing me to Murray's website (great to hear those audio clips, Murray!). The part that I love best during the Sing segment is where Karen has this short dialog in Dutch with a man in the audience. Her Dutch sounds really good and she seems to have lots of fun interacting with people in the audience in their own language!

I hadn't heard of the Carpenters until February 1987 (I was 14 at the time) when British/European TV station Super Channel aired the Yesterday Once More special. Because of all the commercial breaks All You Get From Love was not included, but I saw it later when I bought the video. I taped it for my Dad who was hoping that Jambalaya (he really likes the Carpenters' version!) would be included, but no such luck. For days (and longer) after the special was aired, I kept playing the tape over and over and especially liked the first song We've Only Just Begun. Such a beautiful song with wonderful harmonies and that voice!! And Karen's smile, so warm and friendly! I had to have more Carpenters music so that's when I started collecting their albums. I even discovered that Karen had been on Olivia's special in 1980. I had been a fan of Olivia ever since I saw Grease in 1978 (yes I was only 6 back then!). What a pleasant surprise to discover that they had been close friends and that Olivia even caught Karen's wedding bouquet almost 23 years ago! Speaking of Karen's wedding, it was great to finally hear what I had read about in the old Fan Club newsletters...

I still admire both (Olivia and the Carpenters) and am still hoping for a performance by Olivia or Richard (or maybe both??) in Holland or elsewhere in Europe...

And Sakura, Holland is indeed more beautiful when the weather is warm and the sun is shining (I guess that goes for just about any place). But I have to admit that snowy weather can be a lot of fun too! :)

Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your message.
Are you going to Long Island, NY Westbury Music Fair on November the 6th to see Olivia!?

My mother said that she danced to Jambalaya in her youth, when I listened to this song. But she danced before Karen sang it. I went to Richard's concert with my husband and my parents.

Jambalaya is in "Live at Budokan"(1974) DVD. Mine is Region 2. I'm afraid you cannot see Region 2 DVD.

I have a tricycle. I am interested in many kinds of bicycles of your country. I took my children to Miffy exhibition last year. We are going to the sea next weekend. I hope there are signboards on the beaches in Japan. I saw sighboards on which there are Mr. Dick Bruna's characters on TV. I heard that children can go back to parents, seeing the characters.

If you post Karen's Dutch words, I will be glad. Thank you.

Sakura
...It was more fun to be children.... in snowy weather. It snowed when I was in your contry.

Olivia fan in UK posted to Olivia fans board:
I have also heard Olivia singing "Rainy Days And Mondays"... when I heard that it was so beautiful.

I'd like to listen to it. Is there anyone who knows it?

To Olivia fans,
Have you seen new interview clips with Olivia on "Close To You" website?

Sakura

Sakura,

I'm afraid I can't afford to go to NY twice in a year, especially within such a short period, but if I had known about Olivia's performance on Long Island, I would have postponed my vacation. Oh well, perhaps next year she'll come to Europe, at least that's what I'm hoping for along with many other European fans...

I think your Mom may have danced to Fats Domino's late 1950's version of Jambalaya. Jo Stafford had a big hit with it in 1952. Have you ever heard of her? She was one of the most popular female vocalists of the 1940's/1950's. You can read more about her right here:

http://www2.netdoor.com/~stout/JosPage/

Just like Karen in her early years, Jo Stafford sang with hardly any vibrato in her voice...

As for the things Karen said in Dutch during their concert in November '76:

KC: Hi there! Could you stand up for me?.... uh... hoe is het met u? (means How are you?)
Man In Audience: Het is goed met mij, dank u wel
KC: What did you say back to me, just to let me... what'd you say?
MIA: I said It's all right with me, thank you very much
KC: Oh good, good... uh... hoe heet u? (=what is your name?)
MIA: Gerard
KC: Ik ben Karen Carpenter (=I'm Karen Carpenter)

I just love that part! :)

BTW, I have seen those Dick Bruna characters signs as well on the beach in Scheveningen, near Den Haag (The Hague).
Hope you'll have great fun this weekend on the beach!

Greg

Hi Greg,

Thank you very much for your translation into English!

I found Carpenters Fan Club newsletter #7 November, 1971:
Amsterdam's TV Special was strictly a CARPENTER special with full orchestra.
No other guest star featured on the program.

Your Dad might see the TV Special.

Newsletter #50 - October, 1976:
Nov. 14th Amsterdam, Holland, Eden Hall

Have you been to Eden Hall?

I thought my mother danced to Hank Williams's Jambalaya. But she might hear
Fats Domino's or Jo Stafford's. Thanks for your link.

My family had fun on the beach. We saw fireworks convention(?) from 6
different places from a highway where we were on way home. Fireworks from
6 places in one day!! They were very beautiful. Some were small(distant),
some were big.

I am sorry that Olivia's concerts in Europe were postponed this year. I hope
she tours in Europe next year.

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom