• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Cold: Worth Catching

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Blue Cat's in Knoxville (TN) Old City, like many music clubs, runs small ads listing numerous bands' upcoming appearances. When curiosity strikes I enjoy getting out on a weeknight to keep myself current on the music scene.

Typically the doors open at 8 p.m. but the opening acts don't get started 'til 9 or later, and it's nearly 11 by the time the main act takes the stage. Tuesday night featured the heavy metal band Cold (not to be confused with Coldplay).

Their 1997 self-titled first album was A&M 0829 (Flip Records Inc./Polygram dist.) The follow-up, THIRTEEN WAYS TO BLEED ON STAGE was also on A&M/Flip, and they moved to Geffen and later Atlantic, on which their latest release, A DIFFERENT KIND OF PAIN, has just come out.

Cold has some really dedicated fans, as I saw several hanging out for the sound check, including a young woman with a spider (the band's logo) tatoo on her leg. Much as I love the A&M label and its acts I'm too pain-adverse to go the skin art route.

Cold's early work, other-worldly and murky, reminds me of the Cure and the Psychedelic Furs. The newer material sounds more clear and commercially accessible - similar to some of Soundgarden's work. The hour-long set featured many tracks from the latest release.

Among the set: Back Home/ Whatever You Become/ Different Kind of Pain/ When Heaven's Not Far Away/ Feel it In Your Heart/ When Angels Fly Away/ It Happens All the Time.

Cold's members include Scooter Ward (vocal/guitar/piano), Jeremy Marshall (bass), Mat Loughran & Mike Booth (guitars) and Sam McCandless (drums).
The guys make quite an impression with Ward's bald head and multiple tatoos and Marshall's dreadlocks. However they're very friendly and fan-accessible.

Their official site, www.coldonline.com, has a powerful sound clip from "It Happens." Be forewarned: if you wander over there while a little sleepy it will wake you instantly.

JB

www.coldonline.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom