• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Como Medley: TV Version vs As Time Goes By Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringves

My recollection is that Richard replaced some of Perry Como's singing in the ATGB version due to some technical reason - something about Perry's mic, I believe.

After viewing the dvd, I'm really at a loss as to why he would go to the trouble of replacing Perry's singing with his own voice. To my ear, the difference in Richard's 1974 voice versus his later voice is a bit jarring. I'm inclined to think that the ATGB version might have been better with Perry's vocals left intact.

Any thoughts? Comments?

The first four songs that you hear on the ATGB version were originally included as part of the medley, but it proved to be too long for the TV special, so those songs were cut and the medley was faded in at "Close to You". Because you could hear the added audience applause on that section of Perry Como's vocal, Richard decided to overdub the first line in himself.

Richard commented also that Perry is not as 'present' vocally on the recording as usual, as he was singing live into the mic (Karen was lip-synching to playback), and held it away from his face so that the camera could get a clear shot of him.

Makes sense. That's a shame about the audience applause - esp. since it would have been "canned" applause. Too bad the owners of the special didn't keep separate soundtracks rather than just the mixed end product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom