• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Complete broadcast of PRIMAL ROOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Forum Members,

In 1972 when I lived for more than a year in Copenhagen, Denmark I always listened to one of the few commercial radio stations in europe at the time; RADIO LUXEMBOURG.

Every saterday night between 24:oo an d 1:00 a.m they broadcast an new album release in pop music. This time that summer of 1972 RADIO LUXEMBOURG broadcast the entire PRIMAL ROOTS album by Sergio Mendes and Brasil 77. Can IMAGE that? One entire album on a commercial radio station without commercials breaks, unbelievable those days!!

A rare album from Sergio and his group, but an interesting one, as you know with a marimba participation from JULIUS WECHTER.

Those were the days, no internet, NO mp3, NO Kazaa and NO downloads at all. A quiet era, with TIME for good music on the radio and no rush at all.

Sometimes i’m longing to get back to those days. I’m getting nostalgic here, lets stop.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

These days it's hard enough to get a complete Sergio Mendes song, let alone a whole album.

That would have been a perfect way for me to sample the album, one I decided not to buy back then. It might have saved me 25 years of not knowing the great PRIMAL ROOTS album.

Harry
NP: radio at work

I'll never forget the first time I heard PRIMAL ROOTS. I was a fairly recent Sergio fan, having picked up STILLNESS and PAIS TROPICAL and one or two of the B'66 records. I didn't know PRIMAL was coming out, since the group wasn't getting the pre-release publicity the bigger stars were at the time.

My family and I were on vacation at a lake where we have a cabin. We had driven into "town" for supplies, and I went to the local Woolworth's to check out the record section. It was there that I spotted PRIMAL ROOTS. I stood in the store and read the text on the back of the LP, then bought it on 8-track (because I wasn't going to have access to a turntable for another week!)

We got back to the cabin, and I proceeded to sit in my parents' '71 LTD and listen to the tape. I was a little bit taken back by it at first, and for quite a while the only songs I "liked" on it were the first two ("Promise of a Fisherman" and "After Sunrise"). Years later as my musical taste matured, I warmed up to the rest of the album and now it's right up there in my top four or five Sergio records.

My first taste of PRIMAL ROOTS came from the samplers FOURSIDER and CLASSICS 18. Once I found a home here at the Corner, it became imperative that I seek out and find a copy of PRIMAL ROOTS, which I did - and a fairly decent copy too. It served well as the source for a CD-R until the real thing was released in Japan.

Harry
NP: Carpenters, GOLD: 35th

Well, I don't think I remember any broadcasts of ANY albums, though I remember hearing a lot of "filler" that way.

Maybe the almost-side-long "The Circle Game" (that would be what most radio stations would consider the WHOLE LP, there! :laugh:) was what that radio station wanted to play as one song and figured the rest of the LP was worth listening to in its entirty.

Anyway, PRIMAL ROOTS ranks as my favorite Mendes album--at one time it was all I had in my record rack!

My favorite songs are "Pompa Gira"--gets me up if I fall asleep listening to the record--and of course the vocal interplay between Sergio and The Girls on "Iemanja" is always such a delight to hear, too!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom