• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Crystals & Coasters @ Firefighters' benefit

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
One of the best things about December is the annual benefit concert for the Firefighters Association. There's no advance publicity for the event other than word-of-mouth, and the featured entertainment is always a surprise.
This time (Thurs. 12/2/04) we were graced by vintage acts The Crystals and The Coasters.

Lead by Original Member Dolores "Dee Dee" Kennibrew, the current trio - looking lovely in their white evening gowns - performed several of their Spector Wall-of-Sound hits plus a few covers:

Da Doo Ron Ron/ He's a Rebel/ Be My Baby/ Then He Kissed Me/ Dedicated to the One I Love/ He's So Fine/ Hold On I'm Coming/ Chapel of Love/ Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy.

The Coasters, well known since the late '50s for their comic antics and story-tunes, were lead by Carl Gardner, 78, the last surviving founding member. He told the audience he recovered 11 years ago from a bout with throat cancer "through the divine intervention of Jesus Christ."
Due to a cold he sat out most of the set, with the exception of a Christmas-blues medley:

Young Blood/ Searchin' / Zing Went the Strings of My Heart/ Down in Mexico/ Carl's Medley: Stormy Monday & Merry Christmas, Baby/ Poison Ivy/ Little Egypt/ Love Potion # 9.

Outside the venue (Knoxville Civic Colleseum) several Model A Fords were parked in a circle for the post-show photo opp with group members; inside all types of merchandise (DVDs, CDs, photos) were available.

About 1,000 firefighters, their families and supporters attended. Hope to be on hand next time another benefit rolls around.

JB

NP: A CHRISTMAS GIFT FOR YOU "Winter Wonderland"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom