• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Cubby O'Brien on the Carpenters

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1kandrfan

I came across this interview with Cubby O'Brien today. His interview covers parts of his career and how he became a drummer; his comments about Karen and Richard are copied below. The link for the full article is included below; there is also a photo of Cubby with the group that I'd never seen before.

http://www.columbian.com/article/20090803/LIVING/708039968

"Top of the world"

Karen Carpenter was an accomplished drummer, but band management wanted her out front singing where the audience could see her, so O'Brien was invited to go on tour with them.

"There was no (sheet) music," he recalled. "I had to learn everything by listening."

O'Brien toured with The Carpenters from 1972 to 1979. He even went with them to Japan, where the brother-sister musicians were so popular that they played a packed sports arena.

Throughout those years, Karen Carpenters' struggle with her weight was evident, O'Brien said, adding that people back then didn't have a good understanding of anorexia. Karen Carpenter died in 1983 of cardiac arrest related to her long battle with anorexia nervosa.

"Karen was a very sweet girl," O'Brien said.

After touring with The Carpenters, O'Brien spent much of the '80s touring with various nightclub acts, including Peters, Joel Gray, Debbie Reynolds and Andy Williams. He also played the drums on five Academy Awards shows and for various television specials and variety shows.

I love the Carpenters photo!! I saw the article just before I logged in. Search engine said the article was posted 12 hours ago or so.

Doesn't Sandy have the dress which Karen wore in the photo?
Who is the guy behind Cubby? The engineer who played a tape at the stage?

Lately I watched videos of Doug Strawn who held cake with Karen in the photo, at his site. You can see the video on YouTube, too. (A few months ago I noticed Doug started his new job and website.)

I'm glad that band members look healthy now.

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back