• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

cumpleanos de Sergio!

Status
Not open for further replies.

parabla

Happy birthday to you, Sergio! Brasil '66 'Greatest Hits' CD plays in the background as I type. Growing up in a house that had Sinatra, Getz, Gilberto, and a good compliment of A y M Discos (My first 45rpm singles were Tijuana Taxi and Spanish Flea). I do miss the full compliment and color of the 'Equinox', 'Look Around', 'Fool on the Hill' albums and their covers. In particular, ' Cinnamon and Clove' and 'Bim-Bom'! It is a unique and rare talent that creates a song that when heard, takes me to another place. Thanks for the ride!

Equinox is so great. I listen to "For Me" over and over again as now while writing this.
Its a work of genius as are most of Sergio's lps especially the early ones
which I think are my favorites only because they accompanied me through
the happiest times of my early life! I love that music has that magic
ability to take us back so vividly to places and people that are now absent.
Thanks and happy birthday Sergio!

westofthewall said:
Equinox is so great. I listen to "For Me" over and over again...

You know, my parents had Equinox when I was very young, but lost it in a move. It was years later, while in high school, that a friend played a reel-to-reel copy for me...wow! All of the old memories came flooding back. My friend and I made a contest out of who could find an Lp copy (then out of print) first. I spent hours on the phone to different used record stores to no avail. This was the mid '70s, and Equinox (as a used Lp) was quite elusive, difficult to find. Finally, after months of searching, I located a sealed copy in a guitar shop that was going out of business...and won the bet with my friend!

"For Me" is a work of genius. It is so funny you should mention this song. It's the reason I wanted Equinox in the first place. Another work of genius for me (...pardon the pun!) is "Cinnamon & Clove". Talk about playing a song over and over again!! To me, these songs define Equinox, set it apart. It's a winner all the way around the board. :D

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

I am so happy to hear that others share my love for that lp and that song in particular. I think that "For Me" is so exciting because of the way the tempo changes,and the vocals are extrordinary and the piano work aaahh!

I have only managed to meet and thank 2 or 3 well known musicians in my life and I found that in each case I did'nt feel my words were adequet enough to properly thank them for all the joy their music brought and continues to bring.

I say this with regreat because i sometimes think the fans and the artists
overlook each other, taking for granted that the fame or the wealth are
somehow payment enough.

I certainly hope Sergio realizes how much happiness his music brings to his many fans and knowing that, in turn, brings him great joy.

I wonder if you like I allowed his music to lead you to other Brazilian
musicians. That is another thing i would thank him for. I listen daily to
lps by Airto and Flora Purim, Nana Caymmi, and Milton Nasciamento (I love the Angelus cd) and scores of other Brazilian artists simply because
I listened to Sergio as a teenager. His music has enriched my life and thats what good culture and art should do.

Thanks for sharing Brazil Nut and Thanks Sergio!

G;ad to see more fans to the song "For Me" here. I've always had a special love for that one -- and it's likely that tempo change that 'does it' for me. :)

Something I discovered in the last few years about the song: the mono version on the EQUINOX mono album is a slightly different mix. As the song is ending, the repeating vocal phrase "...for me---never at no time was there..." fades much more quickly on the mono version, leaving Sergio's piano and the percussion to fade out on there own, in the clear.

Harry
...playing "For Me" for me, online...

Harry said:
Something I discovered in the last few years about the song: the mono version on the EQUINOX mono album is a slightly different mix. As the song is ending, the repeating vocal phrase "...for me---never at no time was there..." fades much more quickly on the mono version, leaving Sergio's piano and the percussion to fade out on there own, in the clear.

Harry,

Does the single do the same thing? I have a copy that unfortunately has a crack. The ending is impossible to hear. I have noticed the fade-out on For Me and the differences between the mono and stereo versions. I have both mono and stereo copies of Equinox, though I'm still curious about the single.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Glad you brought up the fade on "For Me" the riffing that goes on at the fade out of the vocal with Sergio adding those extra energetic piano chords is one of the best parts of the song, Along with the parts of the vocal that get soft and breathey. Would you agree that the art of production especially back then was far under rated.

It took me a long time to realize the value of the arranger and producer
until I reached a point when I started buying lps based on who produced or arranged them.

Bones Howe working with the 5th Dimension, and Quincy Jones, no mater who he works with its as though they end up as Quincy Jones lps.\

But back to "For me" I'm writing this and have it on again!!!haha is fantastic.
Do any other of Sergio's songs affect you in the same way? That is if you play them once you have to keep playing them over and over?
Laphina is like that for me, especially if I'm feeling a bit down, it really chases the darkness away!

I'm sure there are others! I wish someone would do an in depth interview and ask specific questions about each song and how they were selected
arranged produced. Sergio did such a fine job in all of these areas.

westofthewall said:
Do any other of Sergio's songs affect you in the same way? That is if you play them once you have to keep playing them over and over?
Laphina is like that for me, especially if I'm feeling a bit down, it really chases the darkness away!

I'm sure there are others!

Those "instant replay" tunes (those where you hit the repeat button after it fades)" are, for me, from the A&M years:

the aforementioned "For Me"
"Like A Lover"
"Festa"
"Pretty World"
"Dois Dias"
the atypical "Look Who's Mine"
and "Iemanjá"

In the Bell Records years, its:

"Love Music"
"Lonely Sailor (Marinheiro Só)"
"Você Abusou"

These are the ones I always manage to end up hitting the repeat button for. I guess they "push my button" too! :wink:

Harry
...way over-tired from a grueling day, online...

I think I have about 95% of Sergio's songs and there are around 60 on my "A" list but some of my favorites that I never get enough of are:

"Batucada"
both "Berimbau's"
"For Me"
both "Laia Ladaia's"
"Love Music"
"Non Stop"
"Un Oceano Silenzi"
"Where is the Love"
"Where to now St. Peter"

I have loved his music since I first heard it in 1966. I have seen him perform 3 times. I would go every weekend.
Ann

Ann-
I, too am a collector of Sergio Mendes music. I have several of his albums, including Herb Alpert Presents SM & Brasil '66, Look Around, Equinox, Fool on the Hill, The Great Arrival, Ye-Me-Le, Crystal Illusions, Primal Roots, Stillness, Vintage '74, and a few others from the late 70's or 80's (Tucan Dance, What's Cooking,etc.) My latest purchase was in 1993 when I bought Brasileiro. None of these are on CD - the Tucan Dance and Brasileiro are on cassette and all the rest are on LP's. Unfortunately, I have not listened to the LP's in over 10 years for lack of a turntable. I just purchased a NEW turntable last weekend (can you believe it?) with the objective of converting these fabulous albums into CD's. I am learning how to do this on the internet - there are a lot of good websites that teach you how to do this.

Anyway, Ye-Me-Le is one of my all-time favorites. Primal Roots is kind of off-the-wall with songs like Jogo de Roda - I am still wondering what this "Wheel Game" is all about - is it about a capoeira match? In the song Iemanja Sergio is singing a prayer to the goddess of the sea. Ye-Me-Le is a prayer to Iemanja (she is an ourixa in the santeria religion of Western Nigeria) in the form of a chant. Sergio's berimbau music is typically heard at capoeira matches in Salvador da Bahia. Voce Abusou in one of his albums was prohibited in Brasil because it was a protest against the government at the time. Carangejo is a neat song - it is an old children's chant.

I used to live in Gilbert when I was a kid (1959-61) and attended Gilbert Elementary. I was just there in summer, 2001. Went to a class reunion in Nov 2000 for various Gilbert High School classes and got to see a lot of my friends I had not seen in over 40 years! It was really neat!

AnnW said:
I think I have about 95% of Sergio's songs and there are around 60 on my "A" list but some of my favorites that I never get enough of are:

"Batucada"
both "Berimbau's"
"For Me"
both "Laia Ladaia's"
"Love Music"
"Non Stop"
"Un Oceano Silenzi"
"Where is the Love"
"Where to now St. Peter"

I have loved his music since I first heard it in 1966. I have seen him perform 3 times. I would go every weekend.
Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom