• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Digipak or jewel case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanky1

While browsing the internet sites for the new cd's, it looks as if a couple of the chains list these as digipak. Is there a chance that they will produce these in both packages?

I truly hate digipaks. As I look at my cd shelf with over 1000 cd's, the stupid Bonnie Raitt "Luck Of The Draw" digipak sticks out like a sore thumb.

Michael H.

I think DigiPaks are nice if they are done right. That "Luck Of The Draw" package was horrendous! I love the way that Universal has been doing their DigiPaks for Verve/A&M/Mercury, etc reissues. I loved the A&M DigiPaks for the Horizon reissues too back in the 80s. Ever since the announcement of the new TJB discs, I've pictured the entire set in glossy DigiPaks between two bookends on a shelf by my fireplace. I hope they're not jewel cases.

I prefer the jewel case. Sometimes the device that holds the CD in the case (center springy thing) gets damaged in shipping or with mishandling. With a DigiPak, one is out of luck, but a jewel case is easily replaced.

By the way, what does DigiPak stand for, Digital Package? Sounds odd to me.

Digi-packs have a couple of distinct disadvantages. They usually are not the same size as jewel cases, so they fit awkwardly. Without a plastic cover -- which can be found but not easily - they show wear just like an uncovered LP sleeve.
If a jewel box gets cracked or the tray teeth (that hold the disc) get broken, no big deal. Just get a new case. With digi-packs the tray is a permanent fixture, broken teeth or not.
Some sleeves are like a miniature LP cover - with the CD enclosed in an inner sleeve. Those are OK.
The worst are the cardboard fold-out sleeves with a slot for the CD. Truly awful; the discs are unprotected and get scratched easily.
JB

On the whole, I'm with daveK. The inaptly, grandly named jewel case is a royal pain in the asparagus. You need a special tool, or an extra-long fingernail, to extract the booklet. (WHEN will they figure out that the cover art needs to be printed as the BACK COVER of the booklet so it can be placed spine-out for easy removal?!) If you want to take out the tray card for copying (for your CD-R package), more often than not you break the tray in the process. The whole package is so small you need a magnifying glass to read the copy. (OK, indulge another old fart with failing eyesight here...)

I really miss the full-size LP sleeve. Failing that, I'll settle for a well-constructed digipak, whatever that means.

Mike A.

plus digi paks are usuall matte finish, so they pick up greasy fingerprints and dent when you breath on them

i'll take jewel cases. but i'm glad i have the lps cause as mike sez, they're the best.

you know what they should do? laminate the digi paks with thick plastic. like a glossy album cover.

LPJim said:
If a jewel box gets cracked or the tray teeth (that hold the disc) get broken, no big deal. Just get a new case

The "broken teeth" can be a disaster in shipping. Case in point: my copy of THE VERY BEST OF SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL '66. It arrived with broken teeth on the side holding disc two. As a result of the wayward plastic chips rubbing against the CD, it was damaged and skips on the last few songs. :sad:

Jon

Brasil_Nut said:
LPJim said:
If a jewel box gets cracked or the tray teeth (that hold the disc) get broken, no big deal. Just get a new case

The "broken teeth" can be a disaster in shipping. Case in point: my copy of THE VERY BEST OF SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL '66. It arrived with broken teeth on the side holding disc two. As a result of the wayward plastic chips rubbing against the CD, it was damaged and skips on the last few songs. :sad:

Jon

Hate when that happens. :sad: Fortunately (knock on wood), I have yet to get a DigiPak with a broken hub.

Semi off-topic, but I bought a Lite-On LDW-851S DVD+/-RW drive last year, and it has some incredible error correction circuitry. CDs that I have had stratches on that won't play in ANYTHING else (even other CD-RW or DVD-ROM droves) play flawlessly. So now, I'm getting out those CDs I've always had troubles with, ripping them to the hard drive, and burning them onto CD-R. A CD can have even a tiny nick on the label side that will render it unplayable. This drive has saved me a LOT of CDs I had thought were goners. Not that I abuse them, but some got carried around a lot in the car, or had some unfortunate mishaps. :shake:

(WHEN will they figure out that the cover art needs to be printed as the BACK COVER of the booklet so it can be placed spine-out for easy removal?!)

This is easily remedied with the following quick procedure:

1. Remove the booklet and replace it upside down, with the front cover art still showing through the front and the spine on the outside.

2. If you want the front and back of the jewel box to be oriented the same, snap out the plastic tray and turn the inlay card upside down too, then replace the tray. The only problem with this is, any art that's printed inside the tray will now be on the wrong side of the front cover, but that's not a big deal usually.

My own "wish" is that there was a full-sized LP sleeve available for CDs. It would be glued inside with a CD-sized pocket, but would be the classic 12x12" size. They could sell these via a mail-in card in the CD case, or via a website. I'd love to have a brand new fullsized version of the FOOL ON THE HILL cover, for example. I suppose sales on these wouldn't be very much though.....many people today don't even keep the jewel box at all!

Yeah, but it's a great idea, Mike!! Never thought of that. I imagine part of the magic of CDs has to do with the fact that they are smaller than Lps. However, every time a new format is introduced, it's out with the old method of storage and on with the new. In many cases this translates into more $$$ on storage units...bah!! However, had there been such an insert for CDs in a typical Lp-type sleeve, it would be possible to store both together...consistency if you will.

Then again, knowing me, I'd get my CD covers mixed up with my Lp covers. You think you're pulling the Lp when you've got the CD. Either way, sounds interesting all the same.

Jon

Back in the late '80s we were still designing CD packages as 12"-high boxes that would occupy the standard LP rack space...albeit only 5.75-6.0" wide. Remember those? You still had enough real estate to present a large-size package a la the LP sleeve. A lot of stuff to throw away, of course, since you couldn't store the jewel case in the box once you'd ripped it open. I remember a lot of experimenting with packages at the time. One designer I worked with even suggested recycling old 5.25" floppy disk sleeves to hold CDs. Excellent idea! (Who still has any of those buggy whips? :laugh: )

I always thought CD jewel cases were a mutant version of the cassette tape case, which was a very successful design although even more limited than the CD jewel case package. I can do without either of them. From a production design standpoint, the digipak is far superior and easier and is a greater conservation of natural resources. As Mike points out, lots of folks dont' even keep the jewel box anymore.

Ramblin Mike A.

Mike Blakesley said:
This is easily remedied with the following quick procedure:

1. Remove the booklet and replace it upside down, with the front cover art still showing through the front and the spine on the outside.

2. If you want the front and back of the jewel box to be oriented the same, snap out the plastic tray and turn the inlay card upside down too, then replace the tray. The only problem with this is, any art that's printed inside the tray will now be on the wrong side of the front cover, but that's not a big deal usually.

Yep, but that's a lot of work and you can still mutilate the whole package in the process. There's no law of printing that forbids the front booklet cover art being printed on the back cover. I love your suggestion about the FOOL gatefold. Wow! Sign me up for the wallpaper pattern hopefully obtainable at my local Home Depot! :goofygrin:

Mike A.

Well beat me with a buggy whip... because I like jewel cases. I wish when one ordered a CD, it was a choice one could make, just click in the prefered box for digi or jewel. I know... I'm a dreamer.

There's no law of printing that forbids the front booklet cover art being printed on the back cover.

Actually the two new Nelly CDs, "Sweat" and "Suit," have their front cover art on the "back" of the jewel boxes, allowing you to put the two covers together side by side to show his frowning face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom