Early notice: Two Sergio Mendes albums due from Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I just got notice that two Sergio Mendes albums will be released this summer (7/24/13) in Japan. One is called RENDEZVOUS with a description that says:

"Japanese original album from Sergio Mendes includes 10 songs featuring female vocalists on each track."

The second one, called SERGIO BEST, looks like a compilation:

"Japanese original release. Greatest hits album from Sergio Mendes."

Both of these are listed as SHM-CDs. Info is from CDJapan.co.jp

Harry

Japanese description put through Google translate:
It sounds to me like all the female singers are Japanese.

Rendezvous [SHM-CD] / Sergio Mendes
Known for blockbuster of 1966 of "Tomas Que Nada", global master pianist of Brazilian music, Sergio Mendes. Special Album of the Japanese plan to ahead 50 years from first visit to Japan, was realized from the wish of Sergio. Chose Sergio checks the sound source itself, the feature to one song each female vocalist of 10 people. After you've recorded the basic tracks in Los Angeles and Brazil, dubbing the original vocal presence of Sergio has come to Japan. As well as original songs Sergio and Brazilian music, "Let's Walk and facing up" and (50 anniversary this year from the National TOP 1), music as well, cover with Sergio flow arrangement also masterpieces of Japan. Is a work which condensed the history of 50 years of Japan and Sergio, Movies symbol of friendship between Japan and Brazil. Recording 10 tracks. Japan pre-release (overseas release pending).

On May 2, talent and singer Sumire (22) appeared at a press conference at the Billboard Live Tokyo in Roppongi to commemorate the completion of her new song “Tasogare no Begin” (goes on sale May 22).
The song has been done in collaboration with internationally renowned Brazilian musician Sergio Mendes (72), and the song will also be included in his album “Rendezvous” (goes on sale July 24), which commemorates his 50th anniversary since he first came to Japan.
The lyrics “First kiss” appears in the song and when asked about her first kiss, Sumire responded, “It was not good.” She revealed that her first kiss happened with a Japanese tourist when she was about 16 or 17 and was still living in Hawaii. She gave a bitter smile as she said, “It was forced.”
http://news.easybranches.com/2013/0...s-conference-for-new-song-with-sergio-mendes/

First reaction: She is a very pretty young lady. :agree:
Second reaction: What's the Japanese for "Meh."? :rolleyes:

Track List:
1: サマーチャンピオンSUMMER CHAMPION
2. ウルチマ・バトゥカーダULTIMA BATUCADA
3. 黄昏のビギン TASOGARENO BIGIN
4. 上を向いて歩こう UEO MUITE ARUKOU
5. カーニヴァルの朝 MANHA DE CARNAVAL
6. シンバイライエー SHIMBALAIE
7. 星のラブレター HOSHINO RABURETAA
8. オ・アモール・エ・プラ・シ・アマール O AMOR E PRA SE AMAR
9. やさしく歌って KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG
10. リアル・イン・リオ REAL IN RIO

The new release date is Tuesday, August 6. CDUniverse has it for $52.89.

It looks like all the female vocalists are Japanese. I hope there are a few with some decent voices - the Japanese singers who have previously performed with Sergio have all had sounded wan and pallid.

rendesvouscover_zpsab8048f1.jpg

Hmmmmm, much as I usually always jump on all things Sergio, I think I'll wait for the comments on this one before spending that kind of moolah. There's nothing worse than a $50 Japanese import CD that you don't like!

I'm kind of in the same boat, Mike. I'm not sure I'll care for Japanese singers doing Brazilian music. It could be fun - but at the prices they're quoting, I think I'll hold off until a better deal comes along.

Harry

I checked out all the vocalists on YouTube and except for the wispy Sumire, Karen Mok and Miyuki Hasimoto, the rest of the women have strong all-purpose pop voices, so I'm cautiously optimistic. But as typical with many of Sergio's recent crop of female vocalists (and unlike Lani, Gracinha or Karen), none of them have a distinctive sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom