🎵 AotW Esther Satterfield: The Need to Be (A&M Records SP-3411)

1699504023279.pngEsther Satterfield: The Need to Be

A&M Records SP-3411
Released 1976

A1: The Need To Be 4:31​
A2: If You Know Me Any Longer Than Tomorrow 5:00​
A3: He's Gone 5:03​
A4: Bird Of Beauty 2:48​
B1: Sarah 4:28​
B2: You Must Believe In Spring 3:20​
B3: Chase The Clouds Away 4:13​
B4: Long Hard Climb 4:09​
B5: New World Comin' 3:23​

Bass – Chip Jackson
Concertmaster – Gerald Vinci
Drums, Percussion – Joe La Barbera
Guitar – Don Potter
Guitar - Peter Wofford (track B2)
Orchestra – Kai Winding
Percussion, Woodwinds – Gerry Niewood
Piano, Electric Piano – Chuck Mangione
Producer – Chuck Mangione
⭐ Vocals - Esther Satterfield

Released only on LP--no tape or CD versions were released.
Album is out of print and unavailable through streaming.

Amazon product ASIN B01D9AHDMA

Playlist of most of the album tracks:

I heard her version of Chase the clouds away and the lyrics are wonderful it's such a shame this album seems to be lost to time probably one of many that were lost in the infamous 2008 inferno

The A&M/Sagoma 3400 series has always intrigued me... The A&M versions didn't follow too much later than at the Sagoma releases which makes me wonder if Chuck (and Gap?) maybe made a deal of some kind with Herb and Jerry regarding their Sagoma label...

As I eased in to appreciating vocal music after using so many instrumentals to accompany my teenaged 8mm films, the early A&M (Mendes, Montez, Longet, Starr) initially tickled my fancy, followed by the likes of Ochs, Letta Mbulu and Ms. Satterfield, among others. The vocal version(s) of "Chase the Clouds Away" is/are just spectacular, rivaling Chuck's instrumental-only versions.

--Mr. Bill

Chuck was the one with the record deal at Mercury. I'm thinking Sagoma was a small regional label Chuck was a part of (owner? founder?) and the timing makes me think it was a package deal. Chuck and his associates get record deals and Sagoma gets redistributed. Just guessing.

The late Ray Price, Gladys Knight & The Pips & the late singer songwriter Jim Weatherly did "The Need To Be".

Chuck was the one with the record deal at Mercury. I'm thinking Sagoma was a small regional label Chuck was a part of (owner? founder?) and the timing makes me think it was a package deal. Chuck and his associates get record deals and Sagoma gets redistributed. Just guessing.
That's what I was saying... These 3400 releases timed quite close to Chuck's transition from Mercury to A&M and I'm betting Chuck was probably to Samoa what Herb and Jerry were to A&M. It makes the most sense.

--Mr Bill

Back
Top Bottom