• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Favorite and Least Favorite Non-Brasil '66 songs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sergio Corner seems a little quiet. So I thought this may be an interesting thread.

Starting with the first Non-A&M Album of Brasil '77 (which is "Love Music") up to the... "Oceano".

What is your favorite Sergio song?

And what is your least favorite?

Hard to say what my favorite might be, I'm such a die-hard fan. Suffice to say, I'm smitten with pretty much everything Sergio has done over the years. I can, however, state which song is my least favorite, and that would be "The Sound Of One Song" from Confetti. Just doesn't fit in with the rest of what (in my opinion) is a marginal album from beginning to end. Sergio Mendes (his return to A&M in '83) had substance and followed a formula, as did Brasil '86, Arara, Brasileiro and Oceano. Confetti did not. It is a hodge-podge of different styles, rhythms and directions that somehow didn't quite fit together for me. Otherwise, as I said above, I like pretty much everything else that Sergio has done.

Jon

That's a tough one. After he left A&M, Sergio's style was so all over the map that it's tough to nail down a favorite song.

One thing I can say for sure is that after Sergio abandoned the "group" concept (during his Elektra tenure), his albums didn't seem to hold together as well as his "group" albums did. If you listen to a tune like "What Do We Mean To Each Other" and then listen to "Flower of Bahia," it's hard to believe they are by the same artist, let alone from the same album!

I guess if I had to pick out ONE favorite song from the post-A&M years, it would probably have to be "Love Music." To me this song has all the Sergio touches we know and love from the A&M days: cool piano intro AND solo; nice vocals; a good beat (and no snare drums!); and a killer hook.

One song that I really/truly dislike is "Sound of One Song" thing Jon mentioned. That's easy.

Now, If I were to pick an album... Confetti would be my least favorite album.

Homecooking would be my favorite album. I like the Lise, Bonnie, and Marietta together, it's an interesting sound.

Love Music, Lonely Sailor, Waiting for Love, Many Homecooking songs, Why?... So many good songs!!!

trevor

My favorite has never changed over the years, it is still "Chelsea Morning" by Brasil '66, ( also by Joni Mitchell or Neil Diamond.) Least favorite? Wow, I'll have to think about that one, or as the Valley Girl generation would say "That's really haaard!"

It's hard to pick a "least favorite" but I would have to say my least favorite type of Sergio songs are those really slow Joe Pizzulo ballads, like "What Do We Mean to Each Other." I'm not a huge fan of "Never Gonna Let You Go" either.

They don't sound like Sergio!

Least favorite album? Probably CONFETTI. It is probably the most uneven album of all...it has one song that's one of my all time favorites ("Real Life"--the only Joe Pizzulo tune I really like a lot) but some real clinkers, too.
I do think it's one of the best looking album COVERS of Sergio's post-Brasil'66 era.

One thing I have noticed is that my opinion of some of the songs tends to change over time. When I first heard "What Is This" from BRASILEIRO, I hated it, but now I like it. I didn't like the Lani Hall ballads when I first heard them as a teenager, but now they are favorites too.

Starting with the first Non-A&M Album of Brasil '77 (which is "Love Music") up to the... "Oceano".

What is your favorite Sergio song?
I would pick: "Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing" from Vintage '74

And what is your least favorite?
There are a lot of dogs to choose from, but I will pick "Killing Me Softly..", from Love Music. :wink:

It’s hard too pick up one song , but I try to point out four favourite one’s:

From a composers/song wise point of view:
1) ESCONJUROS, from the BRASILEIRO album;

From an innovative point of view:
2) MARACATU, from the OCEANO album

From an instrumental arrangement point of view:
3) LOVE ISLAND from the ARARA album

From a strong ballad point of view:
ANJOU DE MIN: From the Oceano album

All the best AQUA DO BRASIL

:rolleyes: Oh boy, do I get to choose only one favourite song? Impossible!
The Vintage 74 album is great; there's ONLY two songs I like NOT so much on that album and they are "Waiting for love" and "Superstition". My favourite there is "Funny you should say that". REALLY like "Love me tomorrow" from Sergio Mendes and the new Brasil '77 too. From Brasil 88 I like "That's enough for me" and "Tiro Cruzado" best.

I was less impressed with the album Confetti, but... there are still a few nice songs on that one too. Maybe my least favourite song is "The sound of one song" then.

FAVORITES? I'm only familiar with the Brasil '66 and 80's solo stuff.(I've never heard most of the 70's albums).

"Masquerade" and "Some Time Ago" from YE-ME-LE
"Stillness" from STILLNESS
"Like A Lover" from LOOK AROUND
"Constant Rain" from EQUINOX
"Song Of No Regrets" from CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS

As an addition to my favorites song her a top five song lists favourite ones and one non-favorites one:

1) Barabare, from Brasileiro (Elektra 1992)
2) Lifes go on, from Brasil 88 (Elektra 1978)
3) The trouble with hello is to say goodbye,
from Sergio Mendes (Elektra 1975)
4) Waters of March, from Vintage 74 (Bell records 1974)
5) Emorio, from Homecooking (Elektra 1975)

Least favorite:
1) Why, from Brasil 88 ( Elektra 1978)

Aqua do Brasil said:
As an addition to my favorites song her a top five song lists favourite ones and one non-favorites one:

Least favorite:

Excellent songs, Aqua -- all of them!

We played "Life Goes On" at my Father's funeral. It was one of Dad's favorite songs and rather fitting for the occasion. We all have a special love and appreciation for the magic that is Carol Rogers. I miss seeing her perform with Sergio.

Bonnie's beautiful reading of "The Trouble With Hello Is Goodbye" is a highlight of the Sergio Mendes album (on Elektra). Seeing as Bonnie entered the group with "Love Music" and "Vintage '74", and the way Sergio recorded her, I never realized how much soul she had until seeing her live on stage. That girl had a set of pipes that woudn't quit!

I also like the upbeat "Aquas de Marco" on "Vintage '74". Then again, I love the "Brasil '88" reading as well. It's a little more laid back, but I've always been a fan of Marietta Waters (who was double-tracked over Carol's single vocal, a la Lani Hall in the days of Brasil '66). However, the "Vintage '74" reading gives the song a fun and different edge -- each version having merit of their own.

Emorio is just sensational. Bonnie, Lise and Marietta handle this one with amazing energy and soul. It just jumps right out at you!! I was so glad to see Sergio bring Lise Miller back for "Never Gonna Let You Go" in the '80s, and always enjoyed seeing her on stage. Her solo on "Emorio" is a classic moment -- an important element in Sergio's cross-over into soul. Amazing!

"Why" actually appeared on the "Sergio Mendes & The New Brasil '77" album with Cruz Baca (Michael Sembello's wife), Marietta Waters and Carol Rogers on vocals. However, this is where we differ. Having grown up in the Disco/Pop era, I always liked the song with its fun lyrics.

And now, the best for last...

"Barabare" got more play in my household than anything else from "Brasileiro" -- a sensational album all the way around the board. Other faves include "Sambadouro" and "Pipoca" with their "updated Brasil '66" type sounds, as well as "Kalimba". My least favorite on "Brasileiro" is "What Is This?" The story of how the song came about is interesting and rather touching. As Sergio said in an Elektra interview, "We were rehearsing and I heard Carmen singing this song in English. I said to her, 'that sounds like a rap song, but why are you singing it in English?' and she said, 'Because I'm an English teacher...' So, we recorded the song as a Brasilian-Rap, although it's not really a Rap song per-se."

However, I do find Carmen to be an electrifying presence on the Brasileiro album and respect her artistic ability. She is, indeed, one of a kind. :wink:

Jon

...in agreement with Aqua, online...

brasil_nut said:
Aqua do Brasil said:

Least favorite:

Excellent songs, Aqua -- all of them!

We played "Life Goes On" at my Father's funeral. It was one of Dad's favorite songs and rather fitting for the occasion. We all have a special love and appreciation for the magic that is Carol Rogers. I miss seeing her perform with Sergio.

Bonnie's beautiful reading of "The Trouble With Hello Is Goodbye" is a highlight of the Sergio Mendes album (on Elektra). Seeing as Bonnie entered the group with "Love Music" and "Vintage '74", and the way Sergio recorded her, I never realized how much soul she had until seeing her live on stage. That girl had a set of pipes that woudn't quit!

I also like the upbeat "Aquas de Marco" on "Vintage '74". Then again, I love the "Brasil '88" reading as well. It's a little more laid back, but I've always been a fan of Marietta Waters (who was double-tracked over Carol's single vocal, a la Lani Hall in the days of Brasil '66). However, the "Vintage '74" reading gives the song a fun and different edge -- each version having merit of their own.

Emorio is just sensational. Bonnie, Lise and Marietta handle this one with amazing energy and soul. It just jumps right out at you!! I was so glad to see Sergio bring Lise Miller back for "Never Gonna Let You Go" in the '80s, and always enjoyed seeing her on stage. Her solo on "Emorio" is a classic moment -- an important element in Sergio's cross-over into soul. Amazing!

"Why" actually appeared on the "Sergio Mendes & The New Brasil '77" album with Cruz Baca (Michael Sembello's wife), Marietta Waters and Carol Rogers on vocals. However, this is where we differ. Having grown up in the Disco/Pop era, I always liked the song with its fun lyrics.

And now, the best for last...

"Barabare" got more play in my household than anything else from "Brasileiro" -- a sensational album all the way around the board. Other faves include "Sambadouro" and "Pipoca" with their "updated Brasil '66" type sounds, as well as "Kalimba". My least favorite on "Brasileiro" is "What Is This?" The story of how the song came about is interesting and rather touching. As Sergio said in an Elektra interview, "We were rehearsing and I heard Carmen singing this song in English. I said to her, 'that sounds like a rap song, but why are you singing it in English?' and she said, 'Because I'm an English teacher...' So, we recorded the song as a Brasilian-Rap, although it's not really a Rap song per-se."

However, I do find Carmen to be an electrifying presence on the Brasileiro album and respect her artistic ability. She is, indeed, one of a kind. :wink:

Jon

...in agreement with Aqua, online...

Dear Jon,

With respect, this particular song has a special meaning in your family.

A noble ballad with a nice sweeping strings/woodwinds interlude and broad landscape keyboards framework and the excellent voice by Carol Rogers.
Written by the great composer/guitarist Benard Ingher (from ‘Every one must change’ fame: George Benson)

At 20 october 1980 i had the chance to talk with Carol Rogers after an Sergio Mendes concert in the Marriot Hotel in Amsterdam.
I complimented her with her performance at Life Goes On and she was delighted, a nice person and i agree with you Jon that it’s a pity that she now longer a part of the Mendes organization.

By the way she told me that her brothers ( 2 or 3?) who formed a band with her at the time before she joined Sergio’s group.

All the Bets Aqua do brasil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom