Favorite Carpenters bio

Status
Not open for further replies.

song4u

Our local PBS station aired the PBS Carpenters bio during their pledge drive last Saturday night. I hadn't watched it in a long time. I think that's my favorite of the bio's made about Richard and Karen. It focused mainly on the history of their music with comments from people who worked with them. Does anyone else have a favorite bio?

Sharon,

The one you're referring to--"Close to You: Remembering the Carpenters"--is by far the best, I think. The production values are high and it's really classy, in my opinion. The interview with Richard that weaves throughout the story is excellent and informative. I have it on DVD and there are lots of extras such as footage from the C's live performance at the White House, several commercials, a BIG photo gallery, and some performances from TV shows (most of those are lip-synched). But for those who don't have videos of their TV specials, the main section closes with Karen singing "Close to You" from the '76 Medley' (essentially a live recording) which they used on their first special. She looks wonderful and sounds great. (I would LOVE to see the whole performance of that medley released on DVD; it's one of the best things the C's ever did on TV. Karen was going from mike to mike singing the different tunes and it came off really well.) This DVD is definitely worth purchasing.

Tony

PBS Close to You is probably the best overall Doc with major input from Richard and on the DVD ....extra footage , TV Ads , White House Concert etc :)

Another favourite is 1996 BBC Doc with Richard , Herb, Paul Williams and the last TV interview from Agnes Carpenter with excellent overview of Carpenters career , image issues and assessment for 1990's :D

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom