Favorite Jazz Albums of All-Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of my Jazz pics include:

1- Louis Arstrong Meets W.C. Handy - The first jazz album I ever owned and given to me by my late Dad. (1956)
2- Duke Ellington Live At Newport Jazz Festival - (1958) -Jazz Titan
3- "Collosus" - Sonny Rollins -(1962)
4- Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane - (1962)
5- Portrait Of Bill Evans - (1958)
6 Boss Guitar - Wes Montgomery- (1961)
7- Lighthouse All-Stars - w/ Pete Jolly, Shorty Rodgers, Candoli Bros. etc -(1991)
8- Machito & His Afro-Allstars - (1960)-w/ Phil Woods, Cannonball Adderley, Dexter Gordon, Herbie Mann, etc.
9 - Cal Tjader -"Primo" w/ Charlie Palmieri, Tito Puente, etc. - (1973)
10- Antonio Carlos Jobim -"Wave"- (1968)
11- Samba Blim - Tamba 4 (1968)
12- Joao Donato & Eumir Deodato - "Donato e Deodato (1973)
13- Chet Baker - "Once Upon A Summertime" --(1973)
14- Dave Brubeck Quartet - "Take Five" w/ Paul Desmond - (1961)
15- Midnight Sun - Herb Alpert - (1989)
16- Tito Puente & Latin Jazz Ensemble -"Live in Montreux".
17- Bitches Brew - Miles Davis - (1970)
18- Azymuth -"Light As A Feather"-(1979)
19- Chick Corea -"Return To Forever"
20- Rhassan Roland Kirk -"Bright Moments" -( 1966)
21- "Solo Monk" - Thelonious Monk -(1963)
22- Ben Webster - "Ballads"
23- Stan Getz +Joao Gilberto+ Tom Jobim+Astrud Gilberto - "Girl From Ipanema" - (1962)
24- Benny Goodman - Live At Carnegie Hall -(1948)
25- Charlie "Bird" Parker - w/Strings -1946)
26- Dizzy Gillespie - "Manteca" -(1936)w/ Chano Pozo, etc.
27- Mario Bauza' - (major pioneer of Latin Jazz and arranger for Machito Orch. "944 Columbus Ave". - (1994)
28- "Freddie Hubbard" -Red Clay"- (1972)
29- Lalo Schifrin - "Soundtracks" -(1960's-1970's
30- Quincy Jones "Walking In Space" - (1971)
31- "Caravanserai" - Carlos Santana -(1971)
32- "Superimposition" -Eddie Palmieri and La Perfecta Orch. (his first "crossover" endeavor into the jazz universe- a hybrid album, one side salsa, and the other instrumental free form jazz)- (1969)
33- Papo Lucca - "Latin Jazz" - (1993) - Arguably Puerto Rico's greatest pianist, arranger, band leader, multi-instrumentalist.
34- Count Basie -Greatest Hits (1930'a-1940's) Big Band Legend
35- Ella Fitzgerald + Joe Pass - Live In Montreux -(1973)
36- Gato Barbieri - "Caliente" - (1973)
37- Michel Colombier -"Wings" -(1971) - first ever "pop symphony" w/ Herb Alpert, Lani Hall, Bill Medley, etc.
38- Eumir Deodato - "Prelude" - (1973)
39- Art Blakey & Jazz Messengers - Greatest Hits (1950's-1960's)
40- Blood Sweat & Tears 2 (White Cover) - (1968) Wonderful blend of rock and jazz
41- Irakere - Greatest Hits - (1977) - Jazz Institution from Cuba w/Chucho Valdes
42- Wayne Shorter & Milton Nascimento -(1973) -classic fusion album.
43- Dexter Gordon - Go! (1962)
44 - Art Tatum - Greatest Hits - (1940s)
45- Erroll Garner - Live At Concert By The Sea - (1957)
46- Sinatra w/ Basie Orch. - "Live At The Sands"- (1966)
47- Artie Shaw - Greatest Hits - (1940's-1950's)
48- "Lady Sings The Blues" - Billie Holiday - (1961)
49- Henry Mancini - "Breakfast At Tiffany" - (1962)
50- Johnny Mandel - Everything! (1960's-1970's)

PartyRico said:

I'm guessing you mean Rollins' Saxophone Colossus, which came out in 1956, not '62. Gato's album came out in 1976, not '73. Good choices throughout!

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
I absolutely love Thrust! One of the better fusion albums IMHO. Also a desert island disc for me.

It took me a few listens to "get" it, but I certainly consider Thurst to be up there with Head Hunters. In fact, I put both on one CD for taking in the car--they flow together well. It appears that most of the tracks on Thurst are first takes.

Seems like that Jimmy Smith/Wes Montgomery album on Verve should also get a mention... (Besides that "Night Train" was a "Solo Records favorite"--'Old Dan' loved to spin that one!--and that I heard "Baby, It's Cold Outside" and "Down by the Riverside" played, you-know-where...) :wink:

It's called Dynamic Duo and even got issued on CD with a few Bonus Tracks... Haven't heard it in a long time and hope that CD-reissue is still in-print or that I can find available used; I would like to hear it and play it again...

Dave

I got another Smith organ/guitar duo yesterday, which sounds pretty good so far, with Kenny Burrell, called Blue Bash! Apparently it was recorded when Smith was between sessions for a big band album, which I'm trying to figure out what it was.

Favorite jazz albums of all time. That's one hell of a question. I don't think it's possible to list them all, but one good one that no one has mentioned is Like Minds, with Gary Burton, Pat Metheny, Chick Corea, Dave Holland, and Roy Haynes.

Captain Bacardi said:
PartyRico said:

I'm guessing you mean Rollins' Saxophone Colossus, which came out in 1956, not '62. Gato's album came out in 1976, not '73. Good choices throughout!

Capt. Bacardi

Also, Time Out came out in 196o, and I'm thinking he meant Bill Evans's Portrait in Jazz not Portrait of Bill Evans which came out in 1959, I believe.

seashorepiano said:
I got another Smith organ/guitar duo yesterday, which sounds pretty good so far, with Kenny Burrell, called Blue Bash! Apparently it was recorded when Smith was between sessions for a big band album, which I'm trying to figure out what it was.

Did you check out Organ Grinder Swing?

audiofile said:
Did you check out Organ Grinder Swing?

Not yet, unfortunately. The packaging is nice because the album belongs to Verve's "Master Edition" series. Have you listened to it? I have heard the title track, "Organ Grinder Swing," from the Verve compilation Jimmy Smith's Finest Hour.

It's a smoking set! Perhaps one of Jimmy's best albums. Smith cooks on every number. Especially Greensleeves. Get it, it's worth every penny!

For me, it has some good moments (just picked it up a few days ago), particularly the ends of "Oh, No, Babe," and "Satin Doll" when he puts the Leslie tremolo on fast and pulls out more drawbars. I haven't heard him do that very often, which brings up his characteristic registration: 8, 4.5, 8, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 (16' drawbar all the way out, 5-1/3' drawbar halfway, 8' drawbar all the way). Nice departure from that registration.

here it is..... (in no special order)

A FLAT G FLAT & C / Yusef Lateef
SEVERAL SHADES OF JADE / Cal Tjader
SOUL MESSAGE / Richard Groove Holmes
BRASAMBA / Bud Shank
DUSTER / Gary Burton Quartet
GUITAR FORMS / Kenny Burrell
WE AND THE SEA / Tamba 4
SOUL SAUCE / Cal Tjader
SPEAK NO EVIL / Wayne Shorter
KIND OF BLUE / Miles Davis
INTO THE HOT / Gil Evans
THE NEWEST SOUND AROUND / Jeanne Lee & Ran Blake
E.S.P. / Miles Davis
LARRY NOVAK PLAYS / Larry Novak Trio
SWEET RAIN / Stan Getz
GETZ / GILBERTO #1 / Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto
T.V. ACTION JAZZ / Mundell Lowe
BLACK CODES FROM THE UNDERGROUND / Wynton Marsalis
MONTGOMERYLAND / Wes Montgomery
GETZ A GO GO / Stan Getz
MOVIES / Carla Bley
QUIET KENNY / Kenny Dorham
THE QUARTET & THE QUINTET / Jack Sheldon
ON THE 90th FLOOR / Kiz Harp
JAZZ SAMBA / Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd
THE FOX / Harold Land
DOWN HERE ON THE GROUND / Wes Montgomery
MEMPHIS UNDERGROUND / Herbie Mann
GOT MY MOJO WORKING / Jimmy Smith
EL SONIDO NUEVO / Cal Tjader & Eddie Palmieri
SWEEDEN NONSTOP / Jan Johansson Trio
AND ALL THAT JAZZ / Steve Allen

In my opinion , my favorite would be what is , in my opinion, the finest big band album of all time -- Buddy Rich's "The New One " on Pacific Jazz (from 1968 and available on CD) --- The band , the energy, the playing, the arrangements (from the likes of Bill Holman, Allyn Ferguson, Bill Reddie, Don Piestrup, and Don Rader) and most of all , Buddy, are all perfection. A once in a lifetime album, not to be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom