Favorite Session Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

toeknee4bz

OK. Time for a new thread, and it came to me as I was reading about Sergio Mendes' new album, ENCANTO. I haven't heard it yet, but, as many of you know, I grew up in the '80s listening to his "post-Brasil '66" albums, featuring a lot of session players. As I also was the only kid on the block who got exited about a new Herb Alpert release, I got used to reading credits!

A while back we had a post called "Dream Bands" and it dawned on me: :idea: Some of the best musicians I can think of are not in a "band" per se, but rather those who appear on everything ranging from funk to pop to fusion jazz and even rock albums in the '70s and '80s. Now I know that many of you out there are fond of the pre-'70s players. Great. Let's hear 'em! (See, JO... I thought of you :D ). No contest here. Just looking for some names of the best players you know who mesmorized us in several different genres.

Here are my favorites, who have crossed from one category to another, and have been listed on countless albums. These are in no particular order. Any album artists included in my list are there simply because they have appeared on so many sessions by so many other artists.

SAXOPHONES:
Ernie Watts, Eric Marienthal, David Sanborn (ironically, I love his session work on other people's albums but HIS albums bore me to death), Larry Williams, Tom Scott, Michael Brecker, Grover Washington, Jr.

TRUMPETS AND FLUGELHORN:
Herb Alpert, Jerry Hey, Randy Brecker, Chuck Findley (Bob Findley, too. Aren't they brothers?), Chris Botti, Rick Braun

TROMBONE:
Bill Reichenbach, Bob Edmonson

GUITARS:
Lee Ritenour (some 200 sessions throughout the '70s!), Larry Carlton (not quite 200, but I bet pretty close), George Benson, Eric Gale, Paul Jackson, Jr., Carlos Rios, Dann Huff, Michael Landau, Bruce Gaitsch, Jay Graydon, Steve Lukather, Dean Parks, Mark Knopfler, Earl Klugh, Jeff Mirinov, Michael Thompson, Eric Clapton

KEYBOARDS (Electric or Acoustic Piano):
Robbie Buchanan, Dave Grusin, Bob James, Joe Sample, David Foster, Rob Mounsey, Alan Broadbent, David Paich, Michael Omartian, Randy Waldman, Barnaby Finch, Randy Kerber, Greg Phillinganes

BASS:
Abraham Laboriel, Nathan East, Jimmy Johnson, Louis Johnson, Anthony Jackson, John Patitucci, Marcus Miller, Neil Stubenhaus, Chuck Domanico, Leland Sklar

DRUMS:
Hal Blaine, Harvey Mason, Carlos Vega, Jeff Porcaro, Russ Kunkel, John Robinson, Steve Gadd, Rick Marotta, Bernard Purdie, Paul Leim, Jeff Hamilton, Vinnie Colaiuta, Alex Acuna

PERCUSSION:
Paulinho DaCosta, Ralph MacDonald, Steve Forman, Steve Reid, Lenny Castro, Victor Feldman

AND LET'S NOT FORGET THE BACKGROUND VOCALS!:
Bill Champlin, Michael McDonald, James Ingram, Phil Perry, Siedah Garrett, Lani Hall, Oren Waters, Julia Waters, Maxine Waters, Myrna Matthews, Patti Austin, Timothy B. Schmit, Warren Wiebe

No matter how bizarre, ...
Tony

audiofile said:
I don't think of Herb Alpert as a studio musician.

I disagree. Herb deliberately remained a mere "studio musician" for several years while building and concentrating on A&M, only touring on an occasion where he felt it necessary to promote something special (e.g. the BULLISH tour and UNDER A SPANISH MOON).

As I stated originally, "album artists" (like Herb) were listed due to the fact that these have performed on so many different artists' albums. Herb has appeared on albums by Harvey Mason (RATAMACUE), UB40 (RAT IN THE KITCHEN), Gato Barbieri (RUBY, RUBY), Rita Coolidge (AND SO IS LOVE), Jim Brickman (DESTINY), Janet Jackson (RHYTHM NATION 1814), Letta Mbulu (MARU A PULA), Michel Colombier (WINGS), and, of course, Lani Hall (SUNDOWN LADY; HELLO, IT'S ME; SWEET BIRD; BLUSH; BRASIL NATIVO). I'm certain that he's probably been on at least a dozen or so more which I'm not even aware of... Somebody help me out, here! :?: :)

Mike, what records did Howard Roberts appear? I'm kinda curious, as I'm unfamiliar w/ his work. All I know is that Lee Ritenour (my all-time favorite guitarist) lists him as an influence...

Tony

toeknee4bz said:
audiofile said:
I don't think of Herb Alpert as a studio musician.

I disagree. Herb deliberately remained a mere "studio musician" for several years while building and concentrating on A&M, only touring on an occasion where he felt it necessary to promote something special (e.g. the BULLISH tour and UNDER A SPANISH MOON).

As I stated originally, "album artists" (like Herb) were listed due to the fact that these have performed on so many different artists' albums. Herb has appeared on albums by Harvey Mason (RATAMACUE), UB40 (RAT IN THE KITCHEN), Gato Barbieri (RUBY, RUBY), Rita Coolidge (AND SO IS LOVE), Jim Brickman (DESTINY), Janet Jackson (RHYTHM NATION 1814), Letta Mbulu (MARU A PULA), Michel Colombier (WINGS), and, of course, Lani Hall (SUNDOWN LADY; HELLO, IT'S ME; SWEET BIRD; BLUSH; BRASIL NATIVO). I'm certain that he's probably been on at least a dozen or so more which I'm not even aware of... Somebody help me out, here! :?: :)

Tony

I'm just saying he's more of a solo artist. Sure he played on a lot of other artists' records, but probaly because he was producing them. He's not someone like Hal Blaine who made his living playing on other people's albums.

Considering favorite sidemen, I first I have to tip my hat to Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter & Grady Tate who seem to be the session guys on 50% of the jazz lps I own! Before Carter & Tate, it was Osie Johnson and Milt Hinton who graced many an lp as sidemen during the late 50s & early 60s. Bass players, George Duvivier and Paul Chambers along with pianist Hank Jones were busy sidemen in the same era.

Guitarists Kenny Burrell and Jimmy Raney appeared as sideman often. Drummers Roy Haynes, Elvin Jones and Eddie Shaughnessy played on a wide variety of lps.

Then there was the great session man Eddie Costa who played piano and vibes. Musicians loved playing with Costa. They appreciated his professionalism and his cool laid back persona that helped keep seesions loose. Plus he was great at reading charts of any kind. Unfortunately, he was killed in a car accident in the summer of 1962. He was only 31 years old.

nightcat said:
Considering favorite sidemen, I first I have to tip my hat to Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter & Grady Tate who seem to be the session guys on 50% of the jazz lps I own!
Guitarists Kenny Burrell and Jimmy Raney appeared as sideman often..

As I'm a big (GIANT!) fan of Grover Washington, Jr., I was impressed to see Ron Carter and Grady Tate listed. However, outside of Grover's work (mainly on Elektra), I'm unfamiliar w/ Carter & Tate's earlier stuff. This is why they were not on my list. Kenny Burrell's name rings a bell, too, but I don't know where...

I'm now getting interested in researching the '50s & '60s material, but as I stated in an earlier thread, all I can seem to find on CD are complilations. It's better than nothing at all, but then you feel like you've been teased. About two years ago, I tried researching some vintage Gabor Szabo albums (looking for his tune, "Mizrab"), and I turned up nothing but a compilation. It did feature the one track I was searching for, but the rest was full of unrelated crap by other artists. After that, I quit shopping at my local music store.

Frustrated,
Tony

Regarding trumpets, Wayne Bergeron is one of the top session players today in LA. Bergeron is a terrific player and has a huge high register.

Another really excellent technician on the trumpet is Allen Vizzuti.

Also, Malcolm McNab, Rick Baptist, Warren Luening. There are some others, but there are a relatively small number of top call studio players compared to all those to want to be and might be if they were in the right place at the right time and there was enough work for all of them - which there isn't. This is a field where there is enormous competition and declining opportunities. So, it takes the right place at the right time, the right connections, and monster playing abilities.

These guys are so good its actually "scary." You could compare their playing abilities to the very finest Olympic gold medal winning athletes of all time. Most trumpet players will never be anywhere close to them in terms of pure skill and playing ability - and that's a big part of why they are doing all the work.

I love Herb, but he isn't these guys when it comes to pure trumpet technicians. He's unequaled at being Herb - but Bergeron or Vizzuti are unbelievable trumpet "athletes" and can play circles around just about anyone else on this planet.

Don't forget to put Doc Severinsen and Arturo Sandoval down among the most powerful players who have ever picked up a horn...

Right on, Captain.

McNab and Vizzutti are almost 'freaks' of nature, but here are two more:

Roger Ingram
Bob Summers

Take care...

George

POST #100! Thanks, guys.

Hey Toe:

I agree with Audio. No offense, but Herb wasn't/is not a studio musician. He played on other people's tracks, because a)he was producing them(like Audio stated), b)they were on A&M, and c) because he wanted to. He was more or less like a 'guest star' on these cuts, and his appearances at best, has been minimal.

He functioned, like say Pat Metheny, or Joshua Redman nowadays function: as a guest, nothing more, nothing less.In fact, the ads for the Jim Brickman album stated that along with people like Michael W.Smith and others who guested on the album, the ad specifically said that the "legendary Herb Alpert would playing on one of the cuts."(I'm paraphrasing, but the 'legendary' phrase is exactly from the ads.)

Whether or not he should be classified as a "studio musician", Herb certainly knows his way around one. And, he has certainly known who to hire to get the end results he's wanted. According to studio musicians who have been associated with him, Herb has always treated them fairly, and with respect. He's always made sure they were paid on time, and made them feel like valued members of the recording process.

In other words. he's a class act.

I have a list of some session players I've always admired...many of them come from Nashville, and not the west Coast, and some might not be familiar with them brcause of that.

Guitarists include Reggie Young, James Colvard and Danny Kortchmar["Kooch"]; Henry Strezlecki was an excellent bassist, and Floyd Cramer's talents reached far beyond the country-flavored pop recordings he's best known for; check out some of Chet Atkins' early '60's albums, and Floyd is there, especially on cuts like EXODUS. The same could be said for Boots Randolph, as well...he, Chet, Floyd and Henry made for an excellent jazz combo.

Dan

I forgot to add Randy Goodrum to my list; an excellent pianist, arranger and composer as well, he wrote YOU NEEDED ME, recorded by Anne Murray.

I don't know if he played out of Nashville or not, but Farrell Morris wa an excellent percussionist.

Dan

A studio/session musician, in terms of my post above, is a musician who makes their living playing sessions as an independent contractor for hire. That person is hired to play a specific part on a specific project and may appear on many different projects for many different reasons.

Those sessions may include CD tracks, TV commercials, movie soundtracks, TV broadcasts, etc.

Herb Alpert is not one of those musicians. He has hired many of them over the years to play on his own recordings. The players on the early TJB albums would be session players. Herb has played on other artists' recordings from time to time, and he has hired session players to play on his own, but in that sense of the word, I would not consider him a session player himself.

The fact that Herb has played as a guest performer on the tracks of some other artists does not really mean he is a session player in my meaning of the term in my post.

Right - just like Chuck Mangione did a lot of 'session' work at one time, way back when, but rarely, if ever, these days and in the recent past. Definitely NOT a session man, by the current definition.

Take care...

George

Captaindave said:
A studio/session musician, in terms of my post above, is a musician who makes their living playing sessions as an independent contractor for hire...Herb Alpert is not one of those musicians...The fact that Herb has played as a guest performer on the tracks of some other artists does not really mean he is a session player in my meaning of the term in my post.

Touche`.

Just as the Cap'n states, studio/session players are hired to "do what the producer tells them to". Put another way, one doesn't hire Herb Alpert for a date -- and them instruct him "how" to play.

I do session work. In fact, last night I had a session -- after two takes of a "punched in" 8-bar solo, the producer said to me, "you're playing too tentatively -- give me more volume -- assert the solo more". My response was to have him turn up the headphone volume and after about 10 takes I gave him what he wanted. Producers/arrangers coach their hired hands to give them the sound they're looking for, and ace technical wizards are adroit at playing a multitude of styles so that they can deliver on most producer/arranger requests.

On the other hand, one doesn't hire Herb Alpert or any musician with a "recognized", distinct style...only to ask them to play in a different manner. When singular artists like Herb play on a session they are a "guest artist" or they are doing a cameo -- but they are never referred to as a "session" or "studio" musician.

Indeed, such unique voices are sometimes actually scored by an arranger. As an illustration, the fine songwriter/arranger, Laura Nyro, asked Miles Davis if he would contribute a solo passage to a piece for her second Columbia LP. In this case, Laura felt Miles' sound would complement well her arrangement. (Miles did meet with Laura to discuss the arrangement but, ultimately, felt his trumpet would add no value to her arrangement and he declined to play...)

JO said:
Captaindave said:
A studio/session musician, in terms of my post above, is a musician who makes their living playing sessions as an independent contractor for hire...Herb Alpert is not one of those musicians...The fact that Herb has played as a guest performer on the tracks of some other artists does not really mean he is a session player in my meaning of the term in my post.

Touche`.

Just as the Cap'n states, studio/session players are hired to "do what the producer tells them to". Put another way, one doesn't hire Herb Alpert for a date -- and them instruct him "how" to play.
I do session work. In fact, last night I had a session -- after two takes of a "punched in" 8-bar solo, the producer said to me, "you're playing to tentatively -- give me more volume -- assert the solo more". My response was to have him turn up the headphone volume and after about 10 takes I gave him what he wanted. Producers/arrangers coach their hired hands to give them the sound they're looking for, and ace technical wizards are adroit at playing a multitude of styles so that they can deliver on most producer/arranger requests.
On the other hand, one doesn't hire Herb Alpert or any musician with a "recognized", distinct style...only to ask them to play in a different manner. When singular artists like Herb play on a session they are a "guest artist" or they are doing a cameo -- but they are never referred to as a "session" or "studio" musician.

OK, guys. I see what you mean... Herb isn't exactly someone who you'd hire for your next album, only to try to coerce him to play something which he may feel to be contrived or unnatural. Granted, on most albums he was, in fact, the producer, and largely A&M. Not exactly a "Session player". I concede.

However, his post-A&M "legendary guest" appearances have blended equally well with other artists' styles. If you listen to the title cut of Harvey Mason's RATAMACUE CD, "Estate'" from Rita Coolidge's AND SO IS LOVE CD, "Rendezvous" from Jim Brickman's DESTINY CD, "Para Todos" or the title cut from Gato Barbieri's SHADOW OF THE CAT CD (none of which were produced by Alpert), his solos and his style embellished their styles on their albums. Yes, I know... they pretty much stood out of the way and let him do his thing. I guess they were returning the favor for all those years of Herb's acknowledgment of the music being centered around the artist.

Hey, Dan - Thanks for reminding me about Randy Goodrum & Kootch. Some of my favorite rockers (e.g. Don Henley, Linda Ronstadt, Billy Joel) have called upon the talents of guitarist-and-producer Danny Kortchmar. Slipped my mind! :?: And how could I forget Goodrum's keyboard talents??? I guess I just always thought of him as a songwriter first, then a pianist. He also did a couple of great jazz vocals on Dave Grusin's 1984 album, NIGHT-LINES.

FYI,
Tony

In NASHVILLE:

Guitars: Chet Atkins, Wayne Moss, Billy Sanford, Jerry Reed, Bobby Thompson, Marline Greene, Weldon Myrick (Steel), Steve Gibson, John Christopher, Charlie McCoy, Fred Carter, Jr., Reggie Young, Grady Martin, Pete Wade, Ray Endenton, Lloyd Green (Steel)

Bass: Norbert Putnam, Tommy Cogbill, Joe Osborn, Bob Moore, Tommy Tow, Jack Williams, Henry Strzelecki, David Hungate, Steve Schaffer, Mike Leech

Drums: Kenneth Buttrey, Larrie London, Jan Kurtis, Kenny Malone, James Stroud, Gene Crisman, Jerry Carrigan, Buddy Harman

Keyboards: Shane Keister, Alan Moore, Bobby Ogdin, Bobby Wood, Floyd Cramer, David Briggs, Larry Butler, Timmy Tappan, Hargus "Pig" Robbins

Accordian: Chuck Cochran

Percussion: Si Edwards, Farrell Morris, Diane Darling

Harmonica: Terry McMillan, Mickey Raphael, Charlie McCoy

Banjo: Bobby Thompson, Jack Hicks

Fiddle: Roy Acuff, Johnny Gimble, Buddy Spicher, Tommy Jackson

Strings: Sheldon Kurland, Brenton Banks, George Binkley III, Lennie Haight, Donald Christian Teal, Jr., Carl Gorodetzky, Stephanie Woolfe (Violins) Gary Vanosdale, Marvin Chantry, Solie Fott (Violas) Martha McCrory, Byron Bach (Cellos) Cindy Reynolds (Harp) Timmy Tappan, Bergen White, Bill Justice, Don Tweedy (Arranger/Conductor)

Horns: George Tidwell, Don Sheffield, George Cunningham (Trumpets) Gene Mullins, Roger Bissell (Trombones) Joseph Pellicuia, Jon Sanders (Saxophones)

Background Vocals: Don Gant, Buzz Cason, Larry Gatlin, Carol Montgomery, Linda & Ann Colby, Lisa Silver, Karen Taylor, Wendy Suits, Diane Tidwell, Dennis Wilson, The Nashville Edition, The Jordanaires

In LOS ANGELES:

Guitars: Dean Parks, Melvin "Wah-Wah Watson" Ragin, Louie Shelton, Don Peake, Larry Carlton, Lee Riteneour, Fred Tackett, Mike Deasy, Ben Benay, Steve Lukather, Mitch Holder, Jay Graydon, Waddy Wachtel, James Burton, Bobby Womack, Ry Cooder, Jesse Ed Davis, Jerry McGee, Tim May, Herb Ellis, Dennis Budimir, Buddy Emmons, (Steel) J.D. Maness, (Steel) Sneaky Pete Kleinow, (Steel) Orville "Red" Rhodes (Steel)

Bass: David Hungate, Joe Osborn, Henry Davis, Scott Edwards, Jerry Scheff, James Jamerson, Reinie Press, Carl Radle, Wilton Felder, Colin Cameron, Max Bennett, Carol Kaye, Bill Perry, Dee Murray, Bryan Garofalo, Willie Weeks, Leland Sklar, Abraham Laboriel, Larry Knechtel, Bob West, Reggie McBride

Drums: James Gadson, John Guerin, David Kemper, Ronnie Tutt, Russ Kunkel, Nigel Olsson, Mike Baird, Rick Schlosser, Ed Greene, Ollie E. Brown, Jim Keltner, Richie Hayward, Jim Gordon, Carlos Vega, Steve Schaeffer, Earl Palmer, Rick Marrotta, Jeff Porcaro, Harvey Mason, Hal Blaine, Mike Botts

Keyboards: Craig Doerge, Lincoln Mayorga, Michael Omartian, Bill Payne, Joe Sample, Pete Jolly, Nick De Caro, Jay Gruska, Kerry Chater, Larry Knechtel, David Paich, Bobby Kimball, Perry Botkin, Jr., David Foster, Glen D. Hardin, Larry Muhouberac, Don Randi, Michael Melvoin, Mike Utley, Mike Boddicker (Synthesizer)

Accordian: Pete Jolly, Jimmie Haskell, Michael Omartian, Nick De Caro, Frank Morrocco, Carl Fortina

Percussion: Alan Estes, Gene Estes, Steve Forman, Emil Richards, Gary Coleman, Laudir DeOliveira, Paulinho Da Costa, Bobbeye Hall-Porter, Harvey Mason, Victor Feldman, King Errison

Harmonica: Tommy Morgan, Ben Benay, Henry Diltz

Banjo: Carl Jackson, Herb Pedersen, Larry McNeeley, Doug Dillard

Fiddle: Bill Cunningham, Gib Guilbeau, Bobby Bruce, Dave Boone, Richard Greene

Strings: Sid Sharp, James Getzoff, Leonard Mallarsky, Harry Bluestone, Joy Lyle, William Kurasch, Nathan Ross, Jack Shulman, Sheldon Sanov, Israel Baker, Paul Shure, Tibor Zelig, Sharri Zippart, Arnold Belnick, Bonnie Douglas (Violins) David Schwartz, Harry Hyams, Sam Boghosssian, Alan Harshman (Violas) Jerome Kessler, Jesse Ehrlich, Ed Lustgarten, Kathleen Lustgarten, Armand Kaproff (Cellos) Gayle Levant, Dorothy Ashby, Catherine Gotthoffer (Harp) Jimmie Haskell, Michael Omartian, Nick De Caro, D'Arnell Pershing, Perry Botkin, Jr. (Arranger/Conductor)

Horns: Tom Scott, Jim Horn, Gene Cipirano, Nino Tempo, William "Buddy" Collette, Steven Douglas, Don Menza, Plas Johnson, Thom Rotella, Donald Christlieb, Tom Saviano, Ernie Watts, Earl Dumler, Bud Shank, Bob Hardaway (Saxophones/Flutes) Steve Madaio, Bud Brisbois, David Duke, Paul Hubinon, Jules Chaiken, Chuck Findley, Bob Findley, Oliver Mitchell, Ray Triscari, Jimmy Zito (Trumpets) Lew McCreary, Dick Hyde, George Bohannon, Dick Leith, Milt Bernhart, Jules Jacob, Louise Blackburn, Ken Shroyer, Joe Howard (Trombones)

Background Vocals: Ginger Blake, Patrice Holloway, Brenda Holloway, Venetta Fields, Clydie King, Julia Tillman-Waters, Maxine Willard-Waters, Luther Waters, Oren Waters, John Bahler, Tom Bahler, Ron Hicklin, Al Capps, Sally Stevens, Morgan Ames, Sue Allen, Jackie Ward, Stan Loren Farber, Ian Fairbairn-Smith

In NEW YORK:

Guitars: Jeff Mironov, Hugh McCracken, Jerry Friedman, John Tropea, Elliot Randall, Sid McGuinness, David Spinozza, Eric Gale

Bass: Neil Jason, Tony Levin, Anthony Jackson, Will Lee, Chuck Rainey, Richard Davis, Billy Rich, Bob Babbitt, Willie Weeks

Drums: Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, Rick Marrotta, Alan Schwartzberg, Steve Gadd, Chris Parker, Jimmy Young, Idris Muhammed, Richard Crooks

Keyboards: Richard Tee, Pat Rebillot, Artie Butler, Don Grolnick, Paul Griffin, Warren Bernhardt, Paul Shaffer, Leon Pendarvis

Accordian: Dominec Cortese

Percussion: Ralph MacDonald, Ray Barretto, Willie Bobo, Sammy Figuroa, Rafael Cruz, Jimmy Maelen, George Devens

Harmonica: Donnie Brooks, Jean "Toots" Thielemans, Buddy Lucas

Banjo: Mark Horowitz, Eric Weisberg

Fiddle: Kenny Kosec, Larry Packer

Strings: Bernard Eichen, Lewis Eley, Paul Gershman, Emanuel Green, Louis Haber, Julius Held, Leo Kruczek, Harry Lookofsky, Joseph Malignaggi, Gene Orloff, Raoul Poliakin, Irving Spice, Louis Stone, Harry Glickman, Max Pollikoff, Matthew Raimondi, Tosha Samaroff, Sylvan Shulman, Avram Weiss, Bernard Eichen, Charles Libove, Marvin Morgenstern, Goerge Ockner, Joyce Robbins, Aaron Rosand, Julius Schacter, (Violin) Harold Coletta, Emanuel Vardi, Harold Furmansky (Viola) Kermit Moore, Abe Kessler, Charles McCracken, George Ricci, Harvey Shapiro, Alan Shulman, Seymour Barab (Cello) Gene Bianca, Margaret Ross (Harp) Artie Butler, Don Sebeskey, Claus Ogerman, Eumir Deodato (Arranger/Conductor)

Horns: Michael Brecker, Phil Bodner, Hank Freeman, Joe Farrell, George Marge, David Newman, Ronnie Cuber (Saxophones) Hubert Laws, Joe Farrell, Romeo Penque (Flutes) Randy Brecker, Alan Rubin, Marvin Stamm, Marky Markowitz, Harold Johnson, Joe Newman, Burt Collins (Trumpets) David Taylor, Barry Rogers, Garnett Brown, Urbie Green (Trombones)

Background Vocals: Luther Vandross, Diva Gray, David Lasey, Arnold McCuller, Kimberley Carlson, Gordon Grody, Anamaria Valle, Marilyn Jackson, Linda November, Lynn Pitney, Maretha Stewart, Hilda Harris, Ulanda McCulloch, Vivian Cherry

In MUSCLE SHOALS:

Guitars: Ken Bell, Travis Wammack, Larry Byrom, Jimmy Johnson, Eddie Hinton, Pete Carr

Bass: Bob Wray, Jerry Bridges, David Hood

Drums: Roger Clark, Roger Hawkins

Keyboards: Ron Oates, Tim Henson, Barry Beckett, Randy McCormick, Clayton Ivey

Percussion: Mickey Buckins, Tom Roady, Rick Hall

Horns: James Mitchell, Floyd Newman, Harvey Thompson, Ronnie Eades (Saxophones) Ben Cauley, Gene Miller, Harrison Calloway (Trumpets) Charles Rose, Aaron Varnell (Trombones)

Background Vocals: Charles Chalmers, Sandra Rhodes-Chalmers, Donna Rhodes, Lennie LeBlanc, Katherine Hill

Dave

Dave said:
In NASHVILLE:
Guitars: Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Keyboards: Floyd Cramer, Fiddle: Roy Acuff, Johnny Gimble, Background Vocals: Larry Gatlin

In LOS ANGELES:
Guitars: Fred Tackett, Drums: Jim Keltner, Steve Schaeffer, Rick Marrotta, Keyboards: Bobby Kimball, Mike Boddicker (Synthesizer); Percussion: Laudir DeOliveira; Background Vocals: Ian Fairbairn-Smith

In NEW YORK:
Guitars: Hugh McCracken, David Spinozza Bass: Chuck Rainey Drums: Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, Rick Marrotta, Keyboards: Richard Tee Percussion: Sammy Figuroa, Strings: Don Sebeskey, Claus Ogerman, Eumir Deodato (Arranger/Conductor)

Background Vocals: Luther Vandross

Dave

WOW!!! A whole bunch more I'd forgotten!

Of course, when I saw the names Chuck Rainey, Bernard Purdie and Rick Marotta, I immediately thought of Steely Dan. There's a DVD out called "Classic Albums: Steely Dan/Aja" which chronicles the making of that now-classic 1977 gem. Chuck Rainey pontificates upon the art of "slapping" bass, which was apparently a new concept at the time. It's a pretty interesting, as well as a charming interview. And as Donald Fagen hilariously describes Purdie's 1st session w/ Steely Dan, Bernard allegedly put up a sign in front of his drums which read: "YOU DONE IT... YOU DONE HIRED THE HITMAKER, BERNARD 'PRETTY' PURDIE!"

Regarding Ian Freebairn-Smith: BG Vocals? Don't know much about the guy, but I do know that he composed the original (orchestral) theme from "Magnum, P.I." used only in the series' first season. Not to be confused with the synth-rock style theme by Mike Post, which would carry the show for the following seven seasons... FYI.

And I'm glad to see the names of the RCA Nashville giants Chet Atkins (who, like Herb Alpert, was a record company executive as well as a very successful artist), Jerry Reed, Floyd Cramer, Roy Acuff, Johnny Gimble and Larry Gatlin listed. These guys ALL had albums of their own, were successful in their own right, and nobody would have hired them to play on a session and then try to instruct them how to play. Just like the earlier post regarding Herb Alpert, these guys were legends in their own field just the same. Though I don't listen to it very much these days, I grew up listening to country-western music... as well as that of rockabilly, easy listening pop, and of course, the TJB (which was and is a category in itself, IMHO). BTW, R&B giant Luther Vandross would also fit into the "legendary guest" category.

Thanks to Dave for coming up with a list even more extensive than mine! :D

Tony

Well, you're welcome, Tony; had to edit my post to include more names and add a "comma", here and there...

Years of Record Collecting and reading back covers, inner-sleeves, inner-gatefolds, etc. provided me with more information than I really have any recorded product left...

Well, as for my Two-Cents regarding Herb Alpert as a "session trumpeter", I think to have a number of horn players grouped like that means an "ensemble" which of course Herb is much too good for, in the sense that he always sounded good and sounds good (with exception of the occasional duet) SOLO! Chet Atkins, however has been featured a number of times as a session guitarist, however, just to name one example of the star/session-sideman a few of the big names have become...
twocents.gif

Dave

Speaking of guitar players and 'session' guys, there are two others that come to mind. Could be wrong, but didn't Glenn Campbell do some session work, too? I know that wasn't his main thing, but I seem to remember him doing some stuff with sessions. Yes? No?

The other fellow(who I knew personally)was Harry Leahey. He did a bunch of stuff at the Rudy vanGelder studio here in Jersey, with the likes of Michel LeGrande and Gerry Mulligan, among others(Don Sebesky stuff, too)and was a session-type player in some live recordings at local venues. Again, it wasn't necessarily his main thing, which was teaching and playing in small combos, mostly in the NY-Metro area, not to mention a regular stint or two with Phil Woods and a 1977 Grammy, to boot.

Take a look at this site for a pretty comprehensive discography for Harry:

www.jazzdiscography.com/Artists/Leahey/hl-disc.htm

You'll see a bunch of good stuff with a bunch of good guys.

Take care...

George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom